[Scpg] Old-fashioned wheat threshing bee at farm near Paso Robles this weekend

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Aug 29 13:12:35 PDT 2007

From: Norm Beard, California Rare Fruit Growers

An Old-fashioned Threshing Bee

Jack Creek Farms will be hosting an Old-fashioned
Threshing Bee on Labor Day weekend. On Saturday,
starting with standing wheat, volunteers will
bind, stack, thresh, sack, clean and grind the
grain into flour the same way it was done in the
early 1900s. Visitors may try their hand at
grinding wheat using an antique grain grinder.
There will be free whole wheat bread samples to taste.

On Sunday, we will have several pieces of antique
equipment in action pulling harrows, plowing and
disking. Watch the equipment as it works. You
will also have a chance to view the vintage
tractors close up and talk to the folks who restored and operate them.

Here at Jack Creek Farms we would like to honor
the heritage and farming traditions of our family
and community. We want you to have the
opportunity to help us celebrate our harvest and
preserve past farming traditions. We hope you
become a part of our circle of sharing and friendship.

The event will take place on Saturday & Sunday,
September 1st & 2nd. Visitors are invited to come
observe the vintage machinery in operation from
1:00 – 4:00 p.m. each afternoon. Admission is
FREE! The farm is located at 5000 Highway 46
West, one mile west of Vineyard Drive.

For more information please call Joy Barlogio at
238-3799 or visit the farm website at:
<http://www.jackcreekfarms.com/>www.JackCreekFarms.com