[Scpg] Sept 10/How to End the War on Iraq AND Build a Sustainable Society

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Sep 6 08:01:53 PDT 2007

*PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY*

The Santa Barbara People’s Coalition invites YOU to a community organizing
meeting on Monday Sept. 10th 6pm at the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation 1622
Anacapa Street in Santa Barbara.  The focus of this meeting is “How to End the
War on Iraq AND Build a Sustainable Society.”   In solidarity with anti-war
actions taking place in D.C. the week of the 15th - 21st, we will be gathering
to formulate and initiate our own community action in response to the Bush
Pentagon’s report to Congress on the status of the surge.

On Sept 15th the Bush Pentagon is due to report to Congress on the progress of
the “surge” in Iraq and there will be Congressional hearings the week
following
(17th – 21st).  Thousands of anti-war activists, organizations and coalitions,
are set to march on the White House and Congress on Sept 15th and will be
demanding that the people’s voice be heard in these hearings.  Furthermore, a
proposal has been put forward by International ANSWER(Act Now to Stop War and
End Racism) for all to unite under the banner “End the War Now!” with the
longer-term objective of producing a million people’s march on Washington D.C.
for the 5th anniversary of the war on March 21st of 2008(please Google and
read
the full text of their proposal: “What Should the Anti-War Movement Do
Now?”).

The SB People’s Coalition has decided to take on this proposal and locally
organize the build-up of our anti-war movement leading towards March 21st 2008
and beyond.  We recognize that, historically, significant social and legal
changes have happened only as a result of massive people’s movements.  The
long
story of how people have struggled to change the world—to make it in their own
image and not in the image of the very few who control and dominate
it—continues today.  We see this time as an opportune moment for all to set
aside political differences in order to build the largest grassroots anti-war
movement in history in solidarity with organizers nationwide. We’re calling on
ALL local sustainability, anti-war leadership, organizations and coalitions to
unite under the banner “End the War Now!” and to join us in organizing actions
for the week of Sept 17th -21st AND to strengthen our local people’s movement
that will work to bring about the sustainable society we want to see happen in
our lifetime.

Come join us in our efforts! The SB People’s Coalition is calling on YOU
(local
leadership, organizations, and coalitions) to make use of this vital time of
anti-war movement building to focus our energies and networks towards
investing
in our sustainable future.  This is our opportunity to begin to collectively
vision and craft a community strategy that will both work toward ending the
war
on Iraq AND re-energizing a grassroots local people’s movement that emphasizes
WHO WE ARE and WHAT WE STAND FOR, rather than simply proclaim what we are
against.  We believe it’s possible to shift away from reacting to the chaos
and
fear-mongering of the so-called “powers that be,” and align ourselves with the
life-giving positive energies of the powers of Being.

The time has come to embrace the vibrant potential of this growing awareness.
We urge every organization and individual to join this effort.  We look
forward
to seeing you on Monday, September 10th 6pm at the Nuclear Age Peace
Foundation
1622 Anacapa Street (we invite attendee’s to please bring $$$ to contribute to
pizza :-).

*Since the start of the war on Iraq the Santa Barbara People’s Coalition has
responsibly organized many of the major anti-war protests in our community.
The goal of the SB People’s Coalition has always been to facilitate
cooperation
among Santa Barbara County groups and individuals interested in working in
solidarity for social and economic justice.