[Scpg] Fall Ecology and Harvest Gathering at Lost Valley Oregon, October 13-14

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Sep 12 23:25:50 PDT 2007

Thanks for your help in spreading this information...

Please consider attending what promises to be
another stimulating event at Lost Valley
Educational Center. We are offering discounts for
early registration and for recruiting additional
attendees; some work-trade scholarships are also
available. We have assembled a stellar line-up of
presenters and now just need to bring together
participants to make this as rewarding a learning
experience as May's Native Plants and
Permaculture Gathering. Please forward this
information to any individuals or lists who would
be interested. Thanks very much!
Chris Roth
for Lost Valley Nature Center

Fall Ecology and Harvest: An Intergenerational Exploration
October 13-14, 2007 (Saturday-Sunday)
at Lost Valley Educational Center, Dexter, OR

We invite people ages 12 through 112 to join us
to learn about fall ecology, indigenous
tradition, and the harvest season here in the
western Cascade foothills. Throughout this
weekend of presentations, discussions, and
activities, we'll explore how we can learn from
one another and pass ecological wisdom and
insights back and forth between generations. An
early registration discount is available through
September 15. We are also now offering a $10
discount/rebate from your registration fee for
each paying registrant who first heard about the
event through you, or who cites you as his or her
primary influence in considering attending. See
<http://www.lostvalley.org/fallecology>www.lostvalley.org/fallecology
for updated event details, or contact Fall
Ecology and Harvest Event, 81868 Lost Valley
Lane, Dexter, OR 97431, (541) 937-2567 x116, nature AT lostvalley.org.

Fall Ecology and Harvest: An Intergenerational
Exploration (extended description)
October 13-14, 2007 (Saturday-Sunday)
at Lost Valley Educational Center, 81868 Lost Valley Lane, Dexter, OR 97431
(541) 937-2567 x116, nature AT lostvalley.org

updated event details:
<http://www.lostvalley.org/fallecology>www.lostvalley.org/fallecology
brochure:
<http://www.lostvalley.org/files/Fall%20Ecology%20and%20Harvest%20brochure.pdf>www.lostvalley.org/files/Fall%20Ecology%20and%20Harvest%20brochure.pdf
poster:
<http://www.lostvalley.org/files/Fall%20Ecology%20and%20Harvest%20poster.pdf>www.lostvalley.org/files/Fall%20Ecology%20and%20Harvest%20poster.pdf
registration form:
<http://www.lostvalley.org/fallecology/registration>www.lostvalley.org/fallecology/registration

Cosponsored by Lost Valley Nature Center and
NextGEN (the youth branch of the Global
Ecovillage Network), this event will focus on
fall ecology, indigenous tradition, and the
harvest season here in the western Cascade
foothills. We’ll explore what is happening on the
land at this time of year, and how we humans can
harvest the bounty from our gardens, farms,
orchards, and from the wild. We’ll learn about
the ways of the Kalapuya who preceded us here, as
well as sustainable food growing and
preservation, resource stewardship, ecological
restoration, and traditional seasonal
celebrations. We’ll bring together people ages 12
through 112 to explore how we can learn from one
another and pass ecological wisdom and insights
back and forth between generations. We’ll also
learn about school gardens, mushrooms, lichens,
and mosses, building community, ecovillages, and more.

Presenters:
• Esther Stutzman (Kalapuyan storyteller)
• Bill Burwell (Kalapuya researcher)
• Jude Hobbs (Permaculture teacher and designer, Agroecology Northwest)
• Jerry Hall (ethnobotanist, Lane Community College)
• Jen Anonia (Food for Lane County Gardens Program Manager)
• Heiko Koester (Permacultural landscaper, Eugene Permaculture Guild)
• Sharon Blick (former director, School Garden Project)
• Rick Valley (Lost Valley land steward, Permaculture teacher and designer)
• Alison Rosenblatt (NextGEN--Global Ecovillage Network)
• Tammy Davis (mycophile, Lost Valley Educational Center)
• Tobias Policha (ethnobotanist, Institute of Contemporary Ethnobotany)
• Sarah Kleeger and Andrew Still (Seed Ambassadors Project)
• Dave Kofranek (lichenologist)
• Dharmika Henschel (ethnobotanist/musician)
• and more.

Early conference registration fee (until Sept.
15), including four organic vegetarian meals, is
$95 for students ages 12 and above, $125 for
non-students. Regular fees are $105 for students,
$135 for non-students. We are offering a $10
discount/rebate from your registration fee for
each paying registrant who first heard about the
event through you, or who cites you as his or her
primary influence in considering attending.
Overnight lodging is also available. A limited
number of work-trade opportunities and
scholarships are available; please inquire or see website for application.

Cosponsors:
Lost Valley Nature Center
Lost Valley Educational Center’s 87 acres include
oak savanna, natural meadow, stream and riparian
areas, ponds, extensive forest lands in various
states of maturity, gardens and orchards. Our
diverse habitats and several miles of nature
trails offer unique environmental education
opportunities. Lost Valley Nature Center sponsors
walks and public events (like May’s Native Plants
and Permaculture Gathering) to help nature-lovers
learn from the land and from one another.

NextGEN
NextGEN is a global network organized by young
adults concerned with issues of sustainability.
We hope to inspire you with examples of viable
and positive choices for the future. We offer
opportunities for action through conferences,
educational workshops, and direct experience in
communities. Our international support network
develops connections among activists and encourages resource sharing.

Excerpts from May’s Native Plants and Permaculture Conference Proceedings:

Bill Burwell: At the start of each harvest season
the Kalapuyans would have a first gathering
ceremony. The spiritual leader of each winter
village site would harvest a few articles of each
resource, bring it back, prepare it in a
ceremonial way, bless the plants or animals that
were responsible, and then the regular harvest
could begin. The first gathering ceremony was
very important to them, and it was practiced all
throughout the Kalapuya culture, religiously.
Their belief was that all plants and animals,
including humans, were part of the same format.
As above, so below. Just like humans, plants and
all animals had families, and then beyond the families they had communities.

There’s one word I know of that was utilized all
the way up and down the Willamette Valley, the
lower Columbia, and into the Salish area in
Washington: Tamanawas. It’s been translated as
spirit power. People who went out on a vision
quest were looking for their Tamanawas. I think
what it really related to was a person’s ability
to interconnect with all the rest of nature. I’ve
collected a number of tales of the people going
out into the woods to find a particular medicine,
and their ability to find this medicine came from
the ability to plug into that certain plant and
interact with it. The plant actually was the
teacher of the person who was going out on the search.

Jerry Hall: When we started learning our
language, songs began coming to us. There is the
belief that songs are just in the ether or in the
air, and they select somebody to come to at a
time in that person’s life.
 My experience is
that singing evokes something from us that is
beyond talking and gives expression to prayer.

I feel that nature is really part of the home and
that people related that way five hundred years
ago. People knew where everything was and they took care of it.

Fall Ecology and Harvest Event Registration
October 13-14, 2007 (Saturday-Sunday) at Lost
Valley Educational Center, Dexter, OR

Name:____________________________________________________________
Address:__________________________________________________________
Phone(s):__________________________________________________________
<Email:____________________________________________________________>Email:____________________________________________________________
School (if student):__________________________________________________

Name #2:_________________________________________________________
Address:__________________________________________________________
Phone(s):__________________________________________________________
<Email:____________________________________________________________>Email:____________________________________________________________
School (if student):__________________________________________________

Conference and Meal Fees (including four organic
vegetarian meals, Sat. lunch and dinner, Sun. breakfast and lunch):
__$95 early registration, students ages 12 and above, until Sept. 15, 2007
__$105 regular registration, students ages 12 and above
__$125 early registration, non-students, until Sept. 15, 2007
__$135 regular registration, non-students
A limited number of work-trade opportunities and
partial scholarships are available; please
inquire or see website for application.

Lodging: __$30/adult dormitory accommodations, Saturday night
__$20/minor dormitory accommodations, Saturday
night (under 18; must be accompanied by parent or guardian)
__$10 camping per person, Saturday night

Nature Center Membership Contribution (receive
e-newsletters and other member benefits, and help support the Nature Center):
__$25 __$50 __$100 __other: $____

Scholarship Donation (help others with limited funds attend this gathering):
__$25 __$50 __$100 __other: $____

Total Payment (pre-surcharge): $____
Payment method: __check (payable to Lost Valley
Center)  –or–  __credit/debit card:
Type:________ Expiration date:_________Number:____________________________
Name on card:_______________________
Please add 5% surcharge for credit/debit card payments: $____    Total: $____

Additional Questions:
How did you hear about this event?__________________________________________
Can you offer a ride? (if yes: when, and from
where?)_____________________________
Would you like a ride? (if yes: when, and from
Do you have any additional suggestions or

Please send completed form to Fall Ecology and
Harvest Gathering, LVEC, PO Box 55, Dexter, OR 97431 USA.
You may also call 541-937-2567 ext. 116, email
nature AT lostvalley.org, or register and pay
online by following the links at
<http://www.lostvalley.org/fallecology>www.lostvalley.org/fallecology