[Scpg] Upcoming Speakers

Michelle Howard tadpolemom at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 11:54:44 PDT 2007

*Greetings and Happy Fall from Wilderness Youth Project*

We are honored to bring you two very special guest speakers this month- mark
your calendars!

See our website for many more details about these speakers and other
upcoming events:

www.wyp.org

*Mala Spotted Eagle: Healing the Earth, Healing Ourselves  *

"There was once a time when people walked this land, treating it with deep
respect. Their ways were simple and yet almost magical. Kinship with all
that is; the animals, the nature, was a way of life. Nature was not "the
wilderness" -- nature was their home."

Mala Spotted Eagle Pope is a Western Shoshone and Cherokee Native American.
 He has studied with many different medicine people, spiritual leaders and
native elders throughout the country.

Thursday October 25 7-9pm Santa Barbara Central Library: Faulkner Gallery

Sliding Scale Donation $10-$25

*David Sobel:  Global Warming vs. Ecophobia*

"If we want children to flourish," says educator David Sobel, "we need to
give them time to connect with nature and love the Earth before we ask them
to save it."

Through his writing, speaking, and teaching, David Sobel plays a major role
in what has become a national movement promoting place-based education, an
approach that has blossomed from studying biology in the school yard to
creating mapping businesses and other neighborhood services. Each is an
exercise in changing the way students learn about the environment and their
place in it.

Tuesday October 30 7-9pm Victoria Hall

Free admission.  RSVP requested but not essential to sobeltalk at wyp.org

Co-sponsored with Antioch University, San Roque School, Progressive
Educator's Alliance

*Stay Tuned for details regarding Jon Young's visit in November!*

--
Michelle Howard