[Scpg] what to do with wood ash?

Permacltur at aol.com Permacltur at aol.com
Tue Nov 13 15:01:17 PST 2007

Wood ash is, in effect, a naturally occuring chemical fertilizer.   It is
very soluble, very alkaline, and can burn plants or shock soil fauna if applied
in excess.   Except on alkaline soils, it is a useful ammendment if applied in
small doses.   It contains lye (calcium oxide) and potash, trace minerals, and
a small but useful level of phosphorous.   Obviously, it contains no
nitrogen.

Wood ash is useful as a soil and slug barrier, and flicked on both top and
bottom surfaces of crop leaves it can deter assault of insect pests such as
striped cucumber beetle untle the   plants have grown enough to handle the damage.
  (Apply in the morning before the dew evaporates and make the coating very
light, or you could 'burn' the leaves.)

A ring of wood ash around a plant will not be crossed readily by slugs and
snails.

Wood ashes can be used in soap making or in the treatment of corn (maize)
kernals preparatory to making tortilla flour or grits.   Probably if passed
through a screen, they could be used as a sticking agent in mortar, however that is
purely speculation on my part.

Wood ashes are edible in small quantities and serve as a calcium and
potassium supplement.   Poultry will eat them if the need the minerals.

Adding wood ash to compost piles or composting toilets is a very poor
practice as it drives off nitrogen.

Returning wood ash to the forest is a good practice, as any biomass removal
weakens the forest.   Spread it broadly.

Because the beneficial agents in wood ash are so soluble, it is important to
store them in a dry place, preferably a metal container.   Hot coals will
remain active for a few months or longer, so apply in damp situations (which also
keeps the ash from blowing and becoming particulate air pollution).

Charcoal that may be in the wood ash is extremely beneficial to all soils.
You can't apply too much natural charcoal (not commercial briquets) to your
soil.   Do a search on 'biochar' for info on that.

I put animal bones in the wood stove which burns off esters that, by scent,
attracte animals, and increases the available phosphorous considerably in the
resulting ash.

Dan Hemenway

In a message dated 11/11/07 9:23:00 PM, skate2x4 at hotmail.com writes:

> I have a question, what do you do with your old wood ash? Can it be put
> under trees? If so what kind? Or not to do it at all? Can it be put in your hot
> compost? Lots of questions but no answers. Help Please.  Jacob

Our 12th Annual Permaculture Design Course Online begins Oct. 14, 2007. The
protocol for our Annual Permaculture Design Course Online is at
http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/Protocol4-23-06.pdf

A complete list of Yankee Permaculture publications by category may be
downloaded from:

http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/YPCpublicationsbycategory.pdf