[Scpg] UK gardeners "going green" and fossil-free?

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Sat Nov 17 16:19:17 PST 2007

 (http://transitionculture.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/GW_Nov_cover.jpg)
_Monty  Don_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Don)  is the presenter of BBC’s ‘
Gardeners World’ programme, as well as  a prolific writer on organic
gardening, including the book ‘The Complete  Gardener’. Recently he heard the talk I
gave at the Prince of Wales’ Food and  Farming Summer School, and was quite
moved by it. The result, once the mental  dust had settled, is the following
article, which is an edited version of one  that appears in this month’s
Gardeners World magazine.
Why Local is Best by Monty Don.
_http://transitionculture.org/2007/10/31/monty-don-on-peak-oil-and-gardening/#
more-791_
(http://transitionculture.org/2007/10/31/monty-don-on-peak-oil-and-gardening/#more-791)
I might be accused of bias, but I tend to think that gardeners are the nicest
 and best people there are. Find someone who cares for their plot and you’ll
find  a decent human being. But the simple truth is that gardeners guzzle gas.
We  might be organic, love and care for all the wildlife, and recycle all our
waste  into perfect compost, but most of us still leave an ugly footprint in
our wake.  It’s not just about oil, but let’s start with that. Of course,
there’s the  petrol we use to fuel our lawn mowers, hedgecutters and so on. It
may not amount  to a great deal, but it’s the easiest to cut back on. There’s
also the fuel we  use scooting to and fro from garden centres, when in the past
we took more  cuttings, collected our own seeds or swapped divisions with our
friends and  neighbours within walking or cycling distance.
Then there are endless deliveries thanks to the internet, using a huge van to
 bring us a pair of gloves or a few packets of seeds. But even this is just
the  tip of the iceberg. All garden centres are supplied by a stream of lorries
 ferrying plants and materials around the motorway system from central
warehouses  and distributors. Most of the plants are produced using extra light and
heat to  keep the supply constant or even against the season. Many gardening
products are  flown in from overseas.
And if all that’s not enough, there are the plastics that we use in almost
everything. All plastics, fertilisers and pesticides, polyesters, most
packaging, even the ink you write your labels with – as well as the pen and the
label itself of course – are made from oil. There are two reasons why this is  not
very clever. The first is that oil is running out, and the second is that
its consumption is the key factor in climate change. Let me put my cards on the
table. If you think that climate change is one of those whipped-up press
scares,  then stop reading now. I believe it to be the biggest crisis ever to have
faced  mankind. Yes, that is scary language, but we ought to be scared. Note
that I say  mankind, not ‘the planet’, as is fashionable. The planet will be
fine. It won’t  look much like it does now, but that’s because it will
regulate itself in order  to survive however it can, even if that is just on a
bacterial and amoebic  level. But human life as we know it will certainly change,
and there is every  chance it will disappear. Who would have thought that
gardening would come to  this? But gardeners really can do something about it in a
hands-on, direct  way.
There is a new book about to be published by Rob Hopkins, called “The
Transition Handbook: from oil dependency to local resilience”. It’s a brilliant
exposure of how struggling to find alternative ways to keep on doing exactly
what we’ve been doing for the past 50 years is absurd. He believes that this
crisis is an opportunity to make the world a better place, with a higher quality
 of life for everyone.
The first point he makes is that we are reaching the peak of world oil
production right now. Oil won’t dry up, but the cost of producing it will rise
inexorably as it becomes harder and harder to get at. Biomass, hydro, solar and
wind power are useful but can’t possibly replace our current consumption of
oil.  It would take 67 new nuclear power stations to do that. No, replacing oil
is the  wrong way to go about it. It’s like trying to lose weight by eating
low-cal  versions of your existing diet without altering your lifestyle. We must
all  consume less of everything now. Instead of using up diminishing
resources, we  must become resourceful.
This is easily said, but means some radical changes. Hopkins advocates
developing oil-resilience – creating a lifestyle that can cope as well as  possible
with as little oil as possible. The less oil you need to garden with,  the
more resilient you are.
Seek out alternatives
The first thing to do is an oil audit. Look at your garden and write down all
 the things that use oil – every plant bought from a non-organic grower,
which  will have been raised with oil-based fertilisers; every plastic pot; every
piece  of plastic moulding; every plastic bag; your garden machinery. Some
things are  easy to replace.
At Berryfields we’ve been using pots and containers made from plant fibres –
 these biodegrade and are very good. And existing plastic pots can be reused
until they fall apart. Seed trays can be made from wood – just as they always
 were. Push mowers and hand shears don’t just cut the grass and trim hedges
as  effectively as mechanical versions, but also give us all more exercise. We
can  make our own potting compost instead of buying it in. We can ask for – or
insist  on – recyclable packaging.
We are a consumer society, eager to be seen to spend money on the newest bit
of kit and jettisoning it once there’s a slight problem with it or a newer
model  comes out. We must relearn to value objects, not for their newness but
for their  age, utility, simplicity and ability to last. But gardeners
instinctively know  how to do this. Where else do you see a collection of trusty old
tools, repaired  endlessly, but in a garden shed?
We just have to have the confidence to take it a step further. One of the
ways we can do this is by helping each other. Local is the key. ‘Local’ will
vary from person to person, but I define local as where you can walk or bicycle
 there and back in a day. Parish may be an old-fashioned concept, but it’s
very  apt. We all know what it means. We need to develop local garden clubs and
societies. This will make it easy to share plants, equipment and skills. One
man’s waste is another’s need. All of us produces an excess of something, be
it  cabbages, grass cuttings or nicotiana seed.
If we don’t share this locally then it’s waste. But it can almost certainly
be bartered locally for something that we genuinely need. We should set up
local  networks where you can advertise items that others would gratefully use,
but  which you’d otherwise throw away. As soon as a culture of care and
longevity  becomes established, people will hunt out good, reliable old tools and
kit  rather than be fobbed off with shiny new versions.
All of this means a radical rethink of how we live our lives. I must admit
that I’m one of the worst culprits – I love gadgets and use machines a lot,
and  I’m always short of time, so tend to take the line of least resistance. No
one  needs to change more than I do. The garden centres, oil companies,
horticultural  industry and all those who depend on the current way of doing things
to earn a  living won’t thank me for any of this. But we really have no
choice.
It’s already too late. We can’t undo the harm already done, but we have to
radically change the way we all live, and make the future a sustainable,
resilient place for our children and grandchildren to live in. And that begins  at
home – in the garden.
The November issue of Gardeners’ World Magazine is in newsagents  until 22nd
November. It is available by post by calling 0844 848 9717 or  emailing
gardeners.world at dovetailservices.com. Find out more about Gardeners’  World at
www.gardenersworld.com.