[Scpg] reminder: SB Permaculture Guild meeting tomorrow (Sat), 2-4 pm in Isla Vista

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Fri Dec 7 12:50:46 PST 2007

The Santa Barbara Permaculture Guild meets tomorrow, Saturday, from 2-4 at
Biko House in Isla Vista near UCSB.  The address is 6612 Sueno.   Thanks to
Michael Bean for setting this up!

Linda

NEWS RE TOMORROW'S PERMACULTURE MEETING:
Friends,

At the  conclusion of the last meeting, we set the next meeting for
Dec 8th at the  Biko Co-op House in Isla Vista to devote part of the
meeting to looking over  the site and brainstorming with Biko
residents and other UCSB and SBCC  students about what they could do
with it design-wise.

I  propose we move the next meeting (Saturday, Dec 8th) forward to
2:00-4:00 PM.  The Biko Garage meeting space was so cold from 3:00 to
5:00 PM, that one  person requested we schedule the Biko Co-op House
site Permaculture design  walk-through and meeting earlier in the
afternoon. I suggest we bring  blankets; we can also close the garage
doors part way.

Agenda  --- I suggest we allow 1-1/2 hours to the Biko House site
tour and design  conversation and half an hour to announcements,
picking the next meeting time  and location.

Invitation Extended to David Cleveland's Food  & Agriculture Classes
--- Students in Professor David Cleveland's "World  Agriculture, Food
and Population" UCSB class and "You and the Future of Food:  Local,
Organic, Genetically Engineered?" freshman seminar class have  been
invited to participate. I got to listen in on some of "You and  the
Future of Food" when it met in front of the Isla Vista Food  Co-op
yesterday afternoon. Melissa Cohen and Shawn McMahon were  guest
lecturers. (See links below for more on Professor Cleveland's work.)

Parking --- I've arranged free parking in the lot at the south  end
of the Embarcadero loop in central Isla Vista, a five-minute walk
from  Biko Co-op. (See the hybrid map/satellite link at the end of
this message.)  Please PARK IN THE EAST HALF OF THE LOT, i.e., the
right or UCSB side of the  map. The map shows how to walk from the
entrance to the parking lot at St  Athanasius Orthodox Church, 976
Embarcadero del Mar, to Biko Co-op, 6612  Sueno Rd. The permission
comes from Carol Ichinose of St Athanasius and Lupe  Montero of the
Isla Vista Medical Clinic.

Contacting Ian ---  Please be sure to include recent Permaculture
Design Course graduate and Biko  Co-op house resident Ian Wogan in any
correspondence about arrangements for  this coming meeting. His phone
is 305.905.9244. Ian is in Florida visiting  his mom and the
Permaculture program at his old high school (wow!) and should  be back
mid-week.

Warmly,

--Michael

*  *  *

Professor David  Cleveland's Work ---

Environmental Studies Faculty Page:
http://www.es.ucsb.edu/faculty/cleveland/
Research:
http://www.es.ucsb.edu/faculty/cleveland/Res/res.htm
Publications:
http://www.es.ucsb.edu/faculty/cleveland/CV/pub.htm
Courses:
http://www.es.ucsb.edu/faculty/cleveland/Courses/course.htm
http://www.es.ucsb.edu/faculty/cleveland/Courses/149/149intro.htm
http://freshsem.ucsb.edu/seminars/fall2007/int94LL.php

Map  Link ---

http://maps.yahoo.com/broadband#mvt=h&q2=6612%20Sueno%20Rd,%20Isla%20Vista,%20
CA,%2093117&gid1=21171196&q1=976%20Embarcadero%20Del%20Mar,%20Isla%20Vista,%20
CA,%2093117&trf=0&lon=-119.858184&lat=34.412185&mag=1