[Scpg] March, rally held in support of California's only tribal university (Permaculture News)

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Mon Jan 7 13:33:39 PST 2008

March, rally held in support of California's only tribal university

http://media.www.californiaaggie.com/media/storage/paper981/news/2008/01/07/CityNews/March.Rally.Held.In.Support.Of.Californias.Only.Tribal.University-3146664.shtml

Participants want to see revitalization

By: ANNA OPALKA

Issue date: 1/7/08 Section:
<http://www.californiaaggie.com//news/2008/01/07/CityNews/>City News

Calling for more progress in the revitalization
of California's only tribal college,
approximately 40 students and community members
marched from the Marketplace in North Davis to
D-Q University's campus on the morning of Dec.
15. The march, which spanned seven miles on
County Road 31, was in anticipation of the D-Q
board of trustees monthly meeting scheduled for later that morning.

The marchers, carrying signs reading, "Unity!
Strength! Education!" and "Keep DQU Alive,"
arrived at D-Q about 10:20 a.m. and proceeded
down the long driveway to gather on the campus
grounds for a rally. They then attended the D-Q
University open board of trustees meeting.

"We're here to show our support for students and
faculty," said Mike Raccoon Eyes Kinney, a march
participant. "We're here to show Native America is alive and well."

"We want them to start teaching again," said
Lupita Torres, a D-Q University student in the
(non-accredited) indigenous permaculture program,
which she describes as a method of putting the
spiritual aspect into growing food.

"The school has been stagnant for two years," she added.

Torres said although D-Q University still has
activities going on and a limited number of
non-accredited classes, it is not enough. "We are
telling the board that the school needs to be up and running," she said.

In 2005 the Western Association of Schools and
Colleges revoked D-Q's accreditation due in part
to inadequate funding and mismanagement of the previous administration.

Participants in the march expressed their feelings about D-Q.

"I'm a former student - my father [Lehman
Brightman, founder of United Native Americans]
used to teach here for 25 years. That's why I
hold D-Q in my heart," said Quanah Brightman,
vice president of UNA. Lehman Brightman was
involved in many famous Native American
movements, including the 1969 occupation of
Alcatraz and the 1978 Longest Walk, a movement
that D-Q University was involved in.

Other participants included current and former
D-Q students, members from organizations such as
the American Indian Movement-West, United Native
Americans, UC Davis group Natives Empowered
through Unity and Education, Movimiento
Estudiantil Chicana/o de Aztlan, and other members of the community.

"We're here [at the rally] in a good way." said
Phillip Mi-She-Kae, an ambassador for United Native Americans.

After the rally, Greg Iron, a student at D-Q,
said he felt the event was successful in bringing
awareness to the issue, but felt that the board could have been more receptive.

New chair of the D-Q University Board of Trustees
Calvin Hedrick said after the rally that the
board is working on re-accreditation, although it is a rather slow process.

"We [the board of trustees] are currently trying
to straighten out some of the problems we've had
there for quite some time. Most board members got
on the board after accreditation was lost. We've
been working on trying to get it back," Hedrick said.

"We're trying to work off debt, which is quite
substantial," he continued. "[We're] trying to
clean the place up. That's where we are right
now. There's a long list of things we have to do
for accreditation. We're slowly but surely checking things off.

"I feel that at the rally people were asking us
to do the very things we are doing," said
Hedrick. "We've been working very steadily with
gaming tribes
 to try to get some funding."

Hedrick said he hopes D-Q can offer accredited
classes within a year. In the meantime, the board
is working on a couple of programs that do not
need accreditation that he hopes will bring people back to D-Q.

ANNA OPALKA can be reached at campus at californiaaggie.com.

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in
new directions, in order to grow." - Anonymous