[Scpg] Harvesting Rainwater by Not Letting It Go to Waste Interview on NPR with Brad Lancaster, January 9, 2008

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Jan 10 12:48:31 PST 2008

Harvesting Rainwater by Not Letting It Go to Waste

Listen Now [3 min 56 sec] add to playlist
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17977057

Brad Lancaster's garden

[]
Enlarge
Brad Lancaster

Brad Lancaster's garden in Tucson, Ariz.,
features landscaping that takes advantage of
rainwater and runoff from the adjoining street
and path. His home features solar panels, a solar
water heater and homemade solar oven.

Read an Excerpt

    * 'Rainwater Harvesting'

Illustration of Brad Lancaster's home in 1994.

[]
Enlarge

Brad Lancaster's property, at the time of
purchase in 1994. Most runoff drained off the
site, up against the home, or through the garage.
All potentially reusable "graywater" from
household drains went down the sewer, and a palm
tree blocked winter solar access. Courtesy Brad Lancaster

Illustration of Lancaster's property in 2006

[]
Enlarge

An illustration of Lancaster's property in 2006
shows that no runoff leaves the site. Street
runoff is directed to basins and trees along the
curb. All graywater is directed to and recycled
within the landscape. With palm trees removed,
winter solar access is regained. Courtesy Brad Lancaster

'Greywater' drains beside a washing machine.

[]
Enlarge
Brad Lancaster

"Graywater" drains (marked with destination: fig,
white sapote, orange, and peach trees) beside a
washing machine. The washer's drain hose is
placed in a different pipe with each load of laundry.

<http://www.npr.org/templates/story//templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=3>Morning
Edition, January 10, 2008 · Big rains slammed the
West this week ­ big news in a region that has gotten used to dry weather.

Now some city governments are looking to rain to ease their water woes.

Thousands of years old, the concept is catching
on in drought-prone areas, including Tucson,
Ariz., where Brad Lancaster lives. He's the
author of Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond.

As Lancaster explains, harvesting rainwater means
to "capture the rain as close as possible to
where it falls, and then to use it as close as possible to where it falls."

The easiest method is to use the soil to capture
the rainwater. "You create these bowl-like shapes
in the landscape that collect water. You mulch
the surface and plant them so the water quickly
infiltrates, and then the plants become your living pumps."

"So you then utilize that water in the form of a
peach, a pomegranate, an apple, wildlife habitat
and beauty," Lancaster tells Renee Montagne.

A second, better-known version of rainwater
harvesting is collecting rainwater from a roof in a tank, or a cistern.

The third example is harvesting wastewater, also
known as graywater, from household drains,
including showers, bathtubs, bathroom sinks and
washing machines. (Other drains ­ such as the
toilet, kitchen sink and dishwasher ­ are high in
organic mater, such as food or bacteria, and are not suitable for reuse.)

Household wastewater is "an excellent source of
rainwater that we can reuse to passively irrigate
our landscapes in times of no rain," Lancaster says.

Lancaster says that 30 percent to 50 percent of
potable water consumed by the average
single-family home is used for landscaping. But
nearly all of the irrigation water needs can be
met just with rainwater and graywater, he says.

Rainwater harvesting can be useful even in areas
that are not affected by drought, helping reduce
flooding downstream, for example, Lancaster says.

Excerpt: 'Rainwater Harvesting'

by Brad Lancaster

'Harvesting Rainwater'

<http://www.npr.org>NPR.org, January 9, 2008 · Introduction

Catch rain where rain falls.
­East Indian proverb

I love the rain! I love to drink it, sing in it,
dance in it, bathe in it. Of course that's only
natural; our bodies are more than 70% water. You
and I and everyone else­we're walkin', talkin' rain.

Rain is the embodiment of life. It infuses water
into our springs, rivers, and aquifers. It cools
us, greens the land, and nourishes the plants
that feed us. It cleans the air, washes salts
from the soil, and makes the animals sing.

Yet, the world's supply of fresh water is finite.
Less than one half of one percent of all the
water on Earth is fresh and available. The rest
is seawater, or frozen. Our supply is renewed
only through precipitation, a precious gift from
the sky that falls as droplets, hail, or
snowflakes, and then flows over the landscape as
runoff. In this book, I refer to the gift as
"rainwater." And the gift is ripe for harvesting.

Rainwater harvesting captures precipitation and
uses it as close as possible to where it falls.
The process mimics intact and healthy ecosystems,
which naturally infiltrate rainwater into the
soil and cycle it through myriad life forms.
Instead of sealing and dehydrating the landscape
with impervious pavement and convex shapes that
drain the gift away, as most modern cities,
suburbs, and home landscapes do, harvesting
accepts rain and allows it to follow its natural path to productivity.

This book provides you with a simple series of
integrated strategies for creating
water-harvesting "nets" which allow rainwater to
permeate and enhance our landscapes, gardens,
yards, parks, farms, and ranches. Small-scale
strategies are the most effective and the least
expensive, so they are emphasized here. They're
also the safest and easiest to accomplish. They
can empower you to become water self-sufficient.

The benefits are many. By harvesting rainwater
within the soil and vegetation­in the land, or in
cisterns that will later irrigate the land, we
can decrease erosion, reduce flooding, minimize
water pollution, and prevent mosquito breeding
(within water standing on top of the soil for
more than three days). The process also generates
an impressive array of resources: It can provide
drinking water, generate high quality irrigation
water, support vegetation as living air
conditioners and filters, lower utility bills,
enhance soil fertility, grow food and beauty,
increase local water resources, reduce demand for
groundwater, boost wildlife habitat, and endow us
and our community with skills of self-reliance and cooperation!

My Rainwater-Harvesting Evolution

In 1994, my brother Rodd and I began harvesting
water in our backyard by digging, then mulching a
basin around a single drought-stressed sour
orange tree. We graded the soil around the basin
so runoff from the surrounding area, and the
neighbor's roof would drain to the tree. The
results amazed us. After a single rain, the tree
burst out with new leaves, a dreamy show of
fragrant blossoms, and an abundant crop of fruit
that was soon converted into tasty marmalade and
"orangeade" by family, friends, and neighbors.
That was ten years ago, and we've since kept our
irrigation of that tree to just three
supplemental waterings per year. Yet we live
within the Sonoran Desert where annual rainfall
averages just 12 inches (304 mm), and most folks
water their citrus trees at least once a week.

With the citrus tree flourishing, we decided to
mimic its success and make rainwater the primary
water source for all our outdoor needs. Using
methods described in chapters 3 and 4, and more
in depth in volume 2, we created and planted
undulating water-harvesting earthworks throughout
our once barren yard. The rain then gently soaked
into the soil, soil erosion ceased, and verdant
life began sprouting everywhere. We planted shade
trees that grew tall around the house, cooling
summer temperatures enough for us to eliminate
our evaporative cooler (improved insulation,
painting the house's exterior white, and passive
ventilation also helped). We then boosted the
growth of these trees still further using
greywater recycled from the drains of our home's
sinks, shower, and washing machine. Our daily
municipal water use dropped from the Tucson
residential average of 114 gallons (431 liters)
per person per day1 to less than 20 gallons (75
liters) per person per day, and our water and
electric bills plummeted. This earned us five
visits from workers at both the water and
electric utilities because they were sure our meters were broken.

We wanted to do more. Every time it rained our
street turned into a river, fed by runoff from
neighborhood roofs, yards, and pavement. We
redirected that runoff to 19 young native trees
we planted in the barren public right-of-way
adjacent to our property. These low-water use
trees now sing with nesting songbirds and offer a
beautiful shaded canopy for passing pedestrians,
bicyclists, and motorists. Water that once flowed
away now supports trees that filter pollutants
carried in the road's runoff as they shade and
cool the street (see the chapter on reducing
hardscape and creating permeable paving in volume
2 for more details). Mosquito populations have
plunged because water no longer stands in
puddles, but is instead soaked up by spongy mulch and taken up by plants.

Our lot was once hot, barren and eroded, with a
house that could only be made comfortable by
paying to mechanically alter its climate. Now our
yard is an oasis producing 15 to 25% of our food,
and after growing trees and installing solar
panels to power fans, we no longer pay a cent to
heat and cool our home (keep in mind we are also
the type that will put on a sweater before firing
up a wood stove). We've switched from
contributing to neighborhood flooding to
contributing to neighborhood flood control, and
our landscape enhances local water resources
instead of depleting them. On our 1/8-acre
(0.05-ha) lot and surrounding right-of-way we
currently harvest annually over 100,000 gallons
(454,600 liters) of rainwater within a 1,200
gallon tank, the soil, and vegetation, while
using less than 20,000 gallons (75,600 liters) of
municipal groundwater for our domestic needs and
landscape irrigation in dry spells. Four-fifths
of the water we now use comes from our own yard, not from city supply.

When friends and neighbors drop by they see the
potential of water harvesting and learn how to do
it themselves. Many then go home and spread the
"seeds" by setting up work parties and creating
their own rain-fed oases. That, in essence, is my
vision: harvest rainwater within our own yards
and neighborhoods, encourage emulation, enhance
rather than deplete our water resources, and
improve the lives of everyone in our community.

Excerpted from Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands
and Beyond, Volume 1 By Brad Lancaster © 2006,
2008, <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/
http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/>www.HarvestingRainwater.com.
Reprinted with permission.

Related NPR Stories

    * Dec. 12, 2007
<http://www.npr.org/templates/story//templates/story/story.php?storyId=16971401>Chronic
Water Shortages Hit Rural Chinese Hard
    * Sep. 29, 2006
<http://www.npr.org/templates/story//templates/story/story.php?storyId=6165654>Philadelphia
Tackles Rainwater Runoff Pollution
    * July 2, 2006
<http://www.npr.org/templates/story//templates/story/story.php?storyId=5528063>Green
Movement Sweeps U.S. Construction Industry
    * June 6, 2005
<http://www.npr.org/templates/story//templates/story/story.php?storyId=1970286>'Green'
Roofs Sprout Up All Over
    * June 26, 2002
<http://www.npr.org/templates/story//templates/story/story.php?storyId=1145637>Gardening
in a Drought

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in
new directions, in order to grow." - Anonymous