[Scpg] Wild and Wet wilderness survival class this Saturday

Joan Stevens mamabotanica at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 25 08:29:00 PST 2008

  Forward Freely!

  Dear Potential Class Participants,

  Learning survival skills doesn’t stop just because of rain. Actually, being out in the rain can be a great pleasure if you dress for it. I like a rain-suit with rubber boots, available at places like Home Depot, which are good to have on hand anyway. I actually use mine every chance I get, like for taking a walk down the creek in the road. What fun.
  This Saturday we’ll meet at 10 am here (see directions at bottom), then carpool over to Red Rock Canyon Park, where guest teacher Joan Stevens will lead us on a "wild edibles walk" up the road along the creek. (As a botanist, she did her thesis on how the Gabrielino Indians used local plants.) I’ll also go over important issues regarding drinking water. Those who are up for it can hike over Red Rock Trail (click for map – yes, it’s safe), to the Big Shade, an overhanging cliff that should give us enough protection from the rain to cook up some of our wild edibles, and have others in a salad. Please bring anything you’d like to add to the lunch.
  And please keep me informed of your plans. We don’t want to leave without you, and don’t want to wait if you’re not coming. Thanks.
  William

  Classes
  Eight consecutive Saturdays, 10 am till around 2 pm, from Jan. 19 through March 8. Classes can be taken individually or as the series. Classes will all meet at Shangri-La, then for three of them, we’ll proceed to nearby Park locations. Different subjects will be woven through all the classes, with emphases on specific subjects in each class, and with a wilderness over-night experience for the last class.
  Bring
  Drinking-water on shoulder-cord or belt (at least a quart), Hiking boots (or sneakers), Good knife, Lunch, Sun hat, Day-pack, Jacket (if cool), Compass if you have one
  Cost
  All eight classes for $120 in advance (non-refundable); or $20 per individual class; including a final over-night camp-out March 8, ‘08.
  (No one will be turned away for lack of funds.)
  For More Information and Registration contact:
  William Golden, 2716 Marquette Drive, Topanga, CA 90290
  310-455-0980
  wmgolden at verizon.net

  DIRECTIONS TO SHANGRI-LA:
  >From Santa Monica:
  Take Pacific Coast Highway to Topanga Canyon Blvd. (five miles north of Santa Monica, one mile past Sunset), and turn right. In four miles, across from Topanga Feed and Seed, turn left on Old Topanga Canyon Road. In a little more than two miles, turn right onto Valley Dr, (one block after Topanga Skyline Dr. on right and across from red church/Montessori School on the left).
  In one block, take the right fork, which is Oak., next left onto Topanga Skyline Drive, second right (in about a third of a mile), onto Marquette Drive. It’s the second house on the right, and the number, 2716, is on the corner of the ivory colored garage.
  Please be sensitive about parking for the sake of our neighbors: no blocked driveways, no parking past Stanfield Dr., no constricting two-way traffic flow.
  >From San Fernando Valley:
  From the 101 Ventura Freeway, take the Valley Circle/Mulholland Dr. Exit (3 exits west of Topanga Cyn Blvd.). Go South on Mulholland Dr., past the shopping center (on your left), and at the next light, turn right onto Valmar, and stay on it till it ends at Mulholland Highway, and turn right on it; then take the first major left, which is Old Topanga Cyn. Rd. Follow this road approximately 3-1/2 miles. After the Mill Creek/ Big Rock Recreation Area (on your right), you’ll go over a little ridge, with Jando Dr. (a landmark) at the top, and as you’re coming down the other side, take the first left, which is Valley Dr. From here it’s the same as second paragraph, above.

  Eight Saturdays, 10 am (till around 2 pm)
  (Can Be Taken Individually or As Series)
  $120 or $20 Per Class (No one turned away for lack of funds)
  Class 1, Jan. 19: Overview, Shelters, Debris Bed, Make a Lean-To Shelter, Fire Methods 1 – Shangri-La
  Class 2, Jan. 26: Drinking Water, Edible and Useful Plants – Guest Teacher: Joan Stevens – Red Rock Canyon Park
  Class 3, Feb. 2: Refurbishing Our Multi-Person Shelter, Drinking Water 2, Fire Methods 2 – Private Land in " " " "
  Class 4, Feb. 9: Hunting, Trapping, Cleaning, and Cooking Wildlife; Fire Methods 3 – Shangri-La
  Class 5, Feb.16: Make Cordage, Tools, Weapons, and Implements; Fire Methods 4 – Shangri-La
  Class 6, Feb. 23: Keeping Your Bearings, Navigation, Communications, Signals, Knots – Shangri-La
  Class 7, March 1: Creating Your Survival Kits, Caches, and Home Survival Retreat; Course Review – Shangri-La
  Class 8, March 8: Overnight Campout, Practicum – On Private Land in Red Rock Canyon Park

"People cannot discover new lands until they have the courage to lose sight of the shore"  Andre Gide