[Scpg] [ipc9 organizers] RE: UPDATE ON POLITICAL TURMOIL IN KENYA, PERMACULTURE .

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Jan 31 00:41:57 PST 2008

dear permaculture community
         I would like share this message from Kenya , at this moment
the 9th International Permaculture Conference Organizers in
Africa  are beginning to response to help, read below

dear IPC9 Folks

Another message from our Permaculture Colleague  Peter Murage in
Kenya , please send him all the loving support you can  and in his own words
"Please pray for us and the country -Kenya".

Thanks for updating us Peter
         wes

MOOFAFRICA
<moofafrica at todays.co.ke><https://webmail.netlojix.com/horde/imp/message.php?address=moofafrica%40todays.co.ke&name=MOOFAFRICA&actionID=156&array_index=9&index=4546>

[]
<https://webmail.netlojix.com/horde/imp/message.php?address=moofafrica%40todays.co.ke&name=MOOFAFRICA&actionID=156&array_index=9&index=4546>

Dear Wes and Margie,

I hope that you are well, safe and in good health. Here we are currently
living with a lot of uncertainties   due to the current violence which
started in some parts of Kenya. Violence has now spread in most parts of
Kenya. The fear of the violence is affecting us a great as members of one of
the targeted community. It is a shame that this violence is taking place
while negotiations are being mediated in Nairobi hotels by non-less than the
Former UN-Secretary Mr. Koffi Annan.

We are all concerned that after an overwhelming voter turnout the elected
and voted out-political leaders can not show LEADERSHIP when it is most
needed among their communities.

I suggest that the civil society should be empowered to help and instill
leadership among the communities so that the can compliment government
efforts   on civic education among communities. People who have co-existed
and known one another for a very long time have turned around to hack and
chop neighbor's head down!! These are nerve chilling episodes we are
witnessing.

As I had pointed out in my message these violence have more than the general
elections. Fundamental issues need to be addressed which includes a new
constitution dispensation, poverty, economical balancing   and reforms. This
should help to address the perennials land disputes, right to own and live
in any part of the country and the Executive.

The situation has become worse in the Agricultural Society Show grounds
where the victims of the violence have been camping for the last three weeks
or so. This is expected to raise concern on the humanitarian issues, number
of children with HIV/AIDS has increased, children are sick with Pneumonia,
and stress related problems among people in the camps.

We are looking for the international community to help to address the short-
term and immediate needs to assist the displaced children, women, and men,
the dissembled, and old later we can work on the long term problems.

MOOF is working with the Red Cross to support the displaced.  Any support is
very much welcome in form of blankets, food- nutritious foods for children
and suckling mothers. Some warm clothes for new born babies, tents and
teachers. Any financial support is also welcome to meet the costs of
transport for the displaced and other non-material services.

Talks have started in Nairobi and we hope that the violence and chaos should
come to an end soon, but new violence keep on erupting in various parts of
the country. But as peace loving Kenyans this will come to ease soon.

But we dearly need to address the fundamental issues otherwise we are prone
to have a repeat of the same violence after every 5 years as an excuse to
politics. A sorry state for our country-Kenya.

Please pray for us and the country -Kenya. Thanks

With Kind regards.

Peter Murage

Programme Director

MOOF.AFRICA

Nanyuki-Kenya

MOOFAFRICA
<moofafrica at todays.co.ke><https://webmail.netlojix.com/horde/imp/message.php?address=moofafrica%40todays.co.ke&name=MOOFAFRICA&actionID=156&array_index=9&index=4546>

[]
<https://webmail.netlojix.com/horde/imp/message.php?address=moofafrica%40todays.co.ke&name=MOOFAFRICA&actionID=156&array_index=9&index=4546>

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous

To unsubscribe, send a blank email to: