[Scpg] How to make water go uphill with keyline?

L. Santoyo santoyo at earthflow.com
Wed Feb 6 11:41:12 PST 2008

Thanks Dan, thanks Darren,

I think that this thread is getting muddled by a couple of things -first by
misunderstanding the method of "dramatic effect" when teaching about Keyline
Design.  I too have heard experts say that "it appears to move water uphill"
and/or "people think that it moves water uphill" -all part of using dramatic
effect when lecturing...  Quite predictably when these dramatic statements
are taken out of context and/or as Dan says the inexperienced "who go off
half cocked" -somehow forget to add that it only "appears" that way...

The other point that is getting mixed up are the differences in the dynamics
of open water (streams etc...) vs. water in a pipe...

*Open water does not/can not flow up hill...* There may be instances where
open water appears to go uphill -but it does not/can not go up hill.

Water in a siphon hose can move up then down.  Water in a pipe can move up
-but without additional mechanics -cannot go higher than it's origin. ie:
water in a roof water catchment pipe can go -from the roof down to the
ground -then across the ground -then back up to the top of a cistern tank
-(but the top of the tank certainly could not be higher than the origin at
the roof).

Anyone up for another roof water catchment and drip irrigation workshop??
We are setting some more up -please let me know if you are interested...

Thanks,

Larry Santoyo
www.earthflow.com