[Scpg] How to make water go uphill with keyline?

Permacltur at aol.com Permacltur at aol.com
Fri Feb 8 16:20:01 PST 2008

You are missing the point, which was a reply to a question about someone's
claim that keyline cultivation moves water uphill.   It does not and I explained
what it does do and the nature of the confusion.

I said that water does not flow uphill without application of external
energy.   The EXAMPLE was a pump.   I could have given as an example a tsunami
hitting an island, indeed any wave as the water rises, the creation of clouds, the
example you gave, etc.   Someone else gave the one exception I didn't think
of, which is capillary action.   In soil, this will move water laterally about 2
feet in soil with a strong clay component or about one foot in sand.   So the
diameter served by a drip point, moving water laterally, is 2 to 4 feet,
depending upon the composition of the water.   Of course, this is utterly
irrelevant to answering the original post about keyline moving water to ridges from
valleys.

Dan Hemenway

In a message dated 2/6/08 11:45:41 AM, cory8570 at yahoo.com writes:

> Water does observably go uphill in nature via a narrowing channel, etc.
> There are natural patterns that force water uphill at least for short
> distances.  It depends on the vectors and forces applied.  One could call a running
> stream a "pump" but I would call it a running stream.  You can use the natural
> force of falling water and compression to defy gravity.  As to how practical
> or useful this may be, I will leave that to people with more experience.  I
> recall reading about an ancient irrigation system that used this principle,
> but I don't recall details.  Anybody else have any data on such systems?
>
> Cory

Our 12th Annual Permaculture Design Course Online began Oct. 14, 2007. Late
registrations accepted. The protocol for our Annual Permaculture Design Course
Online is at http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/Protocol4-23-06.pdf

A complete list of Yankee Permaculture publications by category may be
downloaded from:

http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/YPCpublicationsbycategory.pdf

48)