[Scpg] I am collecting first-person accounts of ecoanxiety

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Fri Mar 28 13:29:53 PDT 2008

Both for the increasing numbers of press inquiries and for a book proposal
I'm writing, I'm collecting first-person accounts of peoples' experiences with
eco-anxiety. I welcome responses from people of all ages, but the press is
especially interested in young people's feelings about this.   Please  send all
replies to me at _lbuzzell at aol.com_ (mailto:lbuzzell at aol.com) , not to this
list.

And if you need anonymity, let me know.  Or if you're willing to  discuss
this in an interview with a journalist or on a TV show, let me know that  as
well.  For example, right now Good Morning America is seeking someone
experiencing eco-anxiety for a show they're doing.

Here are some questions to trigger your thoughts, but feel free to  just
e-mail me with free-form thoughts... And please feel free to pass this  e-mail
along to other groups or your friends who might have an  interest.

When did you first become worried about our environmental situation?

What, if anything, really triggered it into high gear?

Do you have disagreements with loved ones and friends who don't understand
your concerns or are disgruntled about practical "green" things you're doing -
eating or not eating certain foods, avoiding driving, recycling, using less
water, buying nontoxic products, etc.?

Do you have anxiety or other emotional reactions to TV news reports or
documentaries about environmental issues?

Do you think it's too late to avoid the worst consequences of global  warming
and resource depletions?

Do you worry about the world we're leaving our kids?

What helps relieve these anxieties?

Are you involved in any green organizations or activities?  Does this  help
or make you more anxious?

Are you involved in finding/creating solutions to the "triple-threat" of
global warming, resource depletion, economic disruption and to other
environmental challenges?

Are your friends concerned as well or do you feel alone in your  concerns?

Who do you talk to about these concerns?

I look forward to reading your thoughts and experiences,

Linda  Buzzell, M.A., M.F.T.
Natural Lifestyle Therapy, Sustainable Careers,  Recovery from Consumerism
Founder, International Association for  Ecotherapy
Co-Editor, Ecotherapy: Healing with Nature in Mind (Sierra  Club Books 2009)
Editor, Ecotherapy News _http://thoughtoffering.blogs.com/ecotherapy_
(http://thoughtoffering.blogs.com/ecotherapy)
Graduate,  Permaculture Design Course 2006
Santa Barbara and Los Angeles
(805)  563-2089 (310) 553-9660
lbuzzell at aol.com

"...those with psychological  training may play as important a role in our
collective adaptation to Peak Oil  and Climate Change as energy experts and
permaculturists. (They) should perhaps  be gearing up to treat not only
individuals but whole communities."
Richard Heinberg, author  of The Party's Over and Peak  Everything

Home.