[Scpg] SAT May 3/Art Ludwig Water Workshop @ SBCC Center for Sustainability/FREE

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Apr 30 08:51:57 PDT 2008

Another great opportunity from SBCC Adult Ed and new SBCC Center for
Sustainability (free)!  A chance for a day of study with water guru
Art Ludwig.   See Art's workshop at bottom of email.

ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION, SCIENCE & NATURE

GREEN JOBS AND GREEN LIVING
In 2007, after a year of planning and development, Santa Barbara City
College established a Center for Sustainability htpp://sustainability.sbcc.edu
The mission for the Center is "To initiate and support the
understanding and practice of sustainability within college
curriculum, on our campuses and in our community."

Adult Education plays a very active and on-going role in program
development and implementation of sustainable practices on our
campuses. We have a long history of environmental education and now
look forward to working more closely with the credit division in
developing programs for the college and the community. Join Catherine
Gautier and Art Ludwig this spring for lectures, workshops and site
visits that will inform and enable you to begin to develop
sustainable practices in your daily lives.

Water:
Global to Local, Present to Future Thursday, May 1, 7pm SBCC, BC
Forum  West Campus

Global warming is predicted to change rainfall patterns worldwide
with an increase in precipitation in middle to high latitudes and
increased drought in already dry regions. The world is incurring a
vast, but mostly invisible, water deficit that will be felt here in
California as winter snow shifts to rain, decreasing our major
storage of water as snow pack. Models predict a 70% decrease in snow
pack by mid-century, something that will change the entire state and
its economy.

Join Catherine Gautier, professor of Geography at UCSB, author of
Oil, Water and Climate: An Introduction and co-editor of Facing
Climate Change Together to discuss the issues we face both globally
and locally with water.
Thursday, May 1, SBCC, BC Forum -
7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Sustainable Home and Garden May 3 (1 Sat.) 9 a.m.-5 p.m. SBCC,
EBS-309 - East Campus

This workshop led by ecological designer Art Ludwig will include the
following topics: integrated design for water supply, water reuse,
runoff management, energy efficiency, food production, materials
management, and economic sustainability of home and garden.

We will connect the large-scale environmental challenges we face with
the design of our homes and landscaping. Through discussion and an
on-site design clinic at local homes, we will illustrate relevant,
practical ways to make our living spaces part of the solution. There
will be an emphasis on the importance of water and how we can use
this limited resource responsibly. Appropriate for both general
interest and those looking for an introduction to this new and
growing career field.

Ecological designer Art Ludwig consults internationally on the design
of water, wastewater and solar energy systems, as well as efficient
fixtures, and edible landscapes. He has designed four new types of
greywater systems, and formulated the first plant and soil
biocompatible cleaners. He lives with his family among forty
varieties of fruit trees in the mountains behind Santa Barbara, California.
Adam Green, moderator . . . 90922402084
May 3 (1 Sat.) 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
SBCC, EBS-309 - East Campus

If you'd like your site to be considered for use as an example site
for us to visit, please go to www.oasisdesign.net/about/contact/feedback.htm

Helpful Preparation

The more of the background info below you understand (or have been
exposed to) before coming, the more you'll get out of the day.

This stuff is worth reading all the way through:
Can a 4000 ft2 Home be Green?
Greywater site assessment/ system checklist (PDF)
http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/
Eco Home Checklist (doc) http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/
Principles of Ecological Design (article): Integrating Technology,
Economics and Nature http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/

This stuff will add more depth if you can scan or read any of it:
http://www.oasisdesign.net/education/
Water Storage (book)
The New Create an Oasis with Grey Water (book)
Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands (book)
Fruit tree chart
Stub outs
What does driving cost?
Eco village house

Santa Barbara City College Continuing Education.
http://ce.sbcc.edu/environment.htm

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an ecological educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous