[Scpg] Ways of Ancient Mexico Reviving Barren Lands San Isidro Tilantongo Journal

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue May 13 07:01:07 PDT 2008

San Isidro Tilantongo Journal
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/13/world/americas/13oaxaca.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

Ways of Ancient Mexico Reviving Barren Lands

SAN ISIDRO TILANTONGO, Mexico ­ Jesús León Santos
is a Mixtec Indian farmer who will soon plant
corn on a small plot next to his house in time
for the summer rains. He plows with oxen and harvests by hand.
Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image

Adriana Zehbrauskas for The New York Times

Maria Magdalena Vicente, 71, raises sheep, a
source of cash for many of the subsistence farmers in Oaxaca’s Mixteca region.

Under conventional economic logic, Mr. León is
uncompetitive. His yields are just a fraction of
what mechanized agriculture churns out from the
vast expanses of the Great Plains.

But to him, that is beside the point.

The Mixteca highlands here in the state of Oaxaca
are burdened with some of the most barren earth
in Mexico, the work of more than five centuries
of erosion that began even before the arrival of
the Spanish colonizers, their goats and their
cattle. The scuffed hillsides look as though some
ancient giant had hacked at them, opening gashes in the white and yellow rock.

Over the past two decades, Mr. León and other
farmers have worked to reforest and reclaim this
parched land, hoping to find a way for people to
stay and work their farms instead of leaving for
jobs in cities and in the United States.

“We migrate because we don’t think there are
options,” Mr. León said. “The important thing is
to give options for a better life.”

Viewed against the backdrop of rising
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/f/food_prices/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>food
prices in a global marketplace, Mr. León’s fight
to keep farmers from abandoning their land is
much more than a refusal to give up a millennial way of life.

As Mexico imports more corn from the United
States, the country’s reliance on outside
supplies is drawing protests among nationalists,
farmers’ groups and leftist critics of Mexico’s
free trade economy. Earlier this year, as the
last tariffs to corn imports were lifted under
the
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/n/north_american_free_trade_agreement/index.html?inline=nyt-org>North
American Free Trade Agreement, farmers’ groups
marched against the accord in Mexico, asking for more aid.

Mr. León and the farmers’ group he helped found,
the Center for Integral Campesino Development of
the Mixteca, or Cedicam, have reached into the
past to revive pre-Hispanic practices. To arrest
erosion, Cedicam has planted trees, mostly native
ocote pines, a million in the past five years,
raised in the group’s own nurseries.

Working communally, the villagers built stone
walls to terrace the hillside, and they dug long
ditches along the slopes to halt the wash of
rainwater that dragged the soil from the
mountains. Trapped in canals, the water seeps
down to recharge the water table and restore dried-up springs.

As the land has begun to produce again, Mr. León
has reintroduced the traditional milpa, a plot
where corn, climbing beans and squash grow
together. The pre-Hispanic farming practice fixes
nutrients in the soil and creates natural barriers to pests and disease.

Along the way, the farmers have modernized the
ancient techniques. Mr. León has encouraged
farmers to use natural compost as
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/f/fertilizer/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>fertilizer,
introduced crop rotation, and improved on traditional seed selection.

Mr. León plows with oxen by choice. A tractor
would pack down the soil too firmly.

In the eight villages in the region where Cedicam
has worked, yields have risen about three or
fourfold, to between 16 to 24 bushels a hectare,
Mr. Leon said. Unlike the monocultures of
mechanized farming, these practices help preserve genetic diversity.

Mr. León’s work is a local response to the
dislocation created by open markets in the
countryside. “The people here are saying that we
have to find a way to produce our food and meet
our basic needs and that we can do it in a way
that is sustainable,” said Phil Dahl-Bredine, a
Maryknoll lay workers and onetime farmer who has
worked with Cedicam for seven years and written a book about the region.

The key to determining the project’s success, and
that of similar projects in these highlands, will
be if it can produce enough to sustain families
during the bad years, said James D. Reynolds, an
expert on desertification at
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/d/duke_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org>Duke
University who visited Cedicam last month. The
land of the Mixteca region is so degraded that
“the overall potential is not that high,” he said.

Over the past two decades, the Mexican government
has steadily dismantled most support for poor
farmers, arguing that they are inefficient. About
two-thirds of all Mexican corn farmers, some two
million people, are small-scale producers,
farming less than 12 acres, but they harvest less
than a quarter of the country’s production.

Rising demand for animal feed has spurred soaring
imports of subsidized corn from the United
States. Mexico now buys about 40 percent of its corn from the United States.

Increased subsistence farming is not the answer
to the global food crisis. But people skeptical
about the idea that free trade is the best way to
reduce hunger point to small-scale projects like
Cedicam’s as alternatives to industrialized
farming, which is based on costly energy use,
chemical fertilizers and pesticides.

“The Green Revolution displaced our local
resources,” said Mr. León, referring to modern
agricultural practices with hybrid crops and
chemical fertilizers. “Our dependence on the outside, that led to our ruin.”

Mixtec farmers typically grow enough corn to feed
their families and sell the excess in local
markets. But the price they get has been
distorted by subsidized American imports and the
dominance of just a handful of large buyers. It
does not cover the increase in the cost of
fertilizer, which has more than doubled in the past year.

“We have to think about a different form of
production,” said Mr. León, who won the
prestigious Goldman Prize for grassroots
environmentalists last month. “Conventional
methods are not possible in a globalized market.”

Mr. León, 42, combines a hard-headed analysis of
crop yields with a reverence for the land. “It is
my passion to live in this place,” he said, as he
waved at a stand of pines he had planted. “When I
was little, it was practically impossible to hear
the birds singing” because there were no trees,
he said. “Now you can hear their song all day.”

But the Indians here are still so poor that many
continue to leave. Indeed, Mr. León is the only
one of nine siblings who farms.

Aware of that, Cedicam has started greenhouses so
farmers can grow vegetables to sell. Most people
still keep goats and sheep, which forage on the
rocky hillsides. A goat will bring $45 at the
most, money that goes to food and clothes, said
Juventino Rosas, a farmer who lives just down the road from Mr. León.

“I want him to teach us where to find a job,”
said Mr. Rosas’ wife, Lucía Pedro Montesinos, who
was herding two dozen goats, her 9-month-old son strapped to her in a shawl.

And what kind of job? Mr. Rosas’ answer suggested
that he still sees farming as a way of life, but
not yet a living: “A water-purification plant, or maybe a clothing factory.”