[Scpg] Communities Magazine is now seeking articles for issue #141, “Scarcity and Abundance.” The issue will be out in December 2008.

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Jun 2 07:17:29 PDT 2008

Hello,

Communities Magazine is now seeking articles for issue #141,
"Scarcity and Abundance." The issue will be out in December 2008.

Please send your article idea to <mailto:editor at ic.org>editor at ic.org
by Friday, June 27, or sooner if possible.

Your final article must reach us by Friday, August 22.

1. Theme articles: Scarcity and Abundance

Do you or your community find yourselves scarce on time, resources,
or other elements essential to a happy and productive community life?
How can communities achieve both the feeling and the reality of
abundance? Do you have too many projects envisioned, but too little
funding to complete them? How do feelings of connection, friendship,
and community influence your sense of scarcity or abundance? Is there
a role for "prosperity mentality"?

In what ways have you felt frustrated and limited by scarcity or
perceived scarcity of any type, whether in an intentional community
or other community-minded or activist group? Do you see inherent
flaws or liabilities in the philosophies that such groups bring to
their work? How much responsibility for scarcity lies with
individuals, how much with the collective group, and how much with
forces in the dominant society that may suppress cooperative
ventures? Can such groups find abundance? What will need to change
for that to happen?

On a broad scale, does your community plan for future abundance or
scarcity in the world? How do national and global economics affect
your group? Does scarcity in the wider culture push people to create
community? Does abundance?

[Please forward this email to anyone you think has a good story on
this theme for Communities magazine.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:
- Creating community in your neighborhood;
- Starting a new community;
- Process and communication issues in community; and
- Seeking community to join.

Suggested submission length is from 900 to 2500 words. We're seeking
articles written in a reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather
than in academic style. Please share stories and experiences, not
just ideas; write about challenges, not just successes; and describe
specific situations that will help your story come alive for the
reader. Before you start writing, please contact us for our full
Writers' Guidelines--and let us know your article idea so that we can
give feedback on how it may fit into Communities. Contact Chris Roth
at <mailto:editor at ic.org>editor at ic.org or 541-937-2567 ext. 116.

If you don't want to write an article but want to submit photos,
please check
<http://communities.ic.org/submit.php>http://communities.ic.org/submit.php
or email us for our Photo Guidelines.

I. WHAT "SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE" MEANS. We will promise to read your
article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or
save it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right
to edit, shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we contact
authors about this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

II. GETTING PERMISSION AHEAD OF TIME. Please send the article only
when you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow
community members. It's difficult for us to get all set to run an
article only to find that the author's fellow community members say
No at the last minute.

III. PUBLICATION RIGHTS. Once your article appears in Communities
magazine, we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means
your article appears in Communities magazine the first time it
appears in North America. After that, you own it again. If you'd like
to use it elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an
attribution line saying, "This article first appeared in Communities
magazine, (date); for further information on Communities magazine:
<http://www.ic.org/>www.ic.org."

IV. PHOTOS. If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with
compelling images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject
best, so we are appealing to you for images. If others in your
community like taking pictures, they might already have great images
to go with your article. If you would like to submit an article but
cannot supply photos, that's fine; however, please give us plenty of
advance notice so that if we use your article we can get an
illustrator. Please check
<http://communities.ic.org/submit.php>http://communities.ic.org/submit.php
or email us for our full Photo Guidelines.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris Roth
Editor, Communities Magazine
<mailto:editor at ic.org>editor at ic.org