[Scpg] "Transition Towns" conference in LA, Sat. Sept 20!

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Tue Jul 29 11:23:48 PDT 2008

_http://www.envirochangemakers.org/TTLA.htm_
(http://www.envirochangemakers.org/TTLA.htm)

Life After Oil:
Designing the Transition
A series of  events
exploring the twin opportunities
of
peak oil and  global warming
in Los Angeles    “Peak oil” is  the term for the end of cheap oil. Our
contemporary society is leveraged  upon a continuous stream of the stuff. But as
prices climb, things are  going to change...

The future  with less oil could be better than the present, but only if we
engage in  designing this Transition with creativity and imagination.
--Rob Hopkins, founder of the Transition Towns  movement

Join us as we explore the Transition Towns  concept that is catching on like
wildfire in the  UK.  What Can We Do about peak oil and global warming? The
answers  are in our neighborhoods and communities.
Through the Transition concept, we take a positive,  forward-thinking view of
what the future will hold  for our area in the time beyond oil.
    *   Sunday, Sept. 14, 6pm -  Movie "The End of Suburbia" followed  by
community discussion
    *   Saturday, Sept. 20,  9am-5pm - "Designing the Transition" - a full
day conference  exploring the Transition concept
    *   Thursday, Sept 25,  7-9pm - Peak Oil Community  Discussion - the
first followup event to the  Transition conference
    *   Thursday, October 23, 7-9pm - "Power Down"

The  converging challenges of peak oil and climate change mean that
change--on an almost unimaginable scale--is coming whether we want it or  not.

You
are invited
to explore
the twin opportunities
of

peak oil and global  warming
Our series will begin  with an examination of the "hydrocarbon twins" -- peak
oil and global  warming.  We'll acknowledge the magnitude of the cultural
Transition  before us.  We'll provide an introduction to the Transition concept
by its founder, Rob Hopkins, via video from the UK.  Then we'll get  down to
work on our local Transition:  exploring, visioning,  planning, brainstorming,
identifying key players and key issues, and much  more.    Meet others in So
Calif who are grappling with peak oil and climate change ideas.  Join  forces
with people who are shaping a positive plan for our
power-down  future.     This is the first time  (to the best of our
knowledge) that the Transition Towns concept has been  explored in Los Angeles.  Come
be part of this pioneering  series!
    *   Detailed agenda
    *   _Registration  information_
(http://www.envirochangemakers.org/TTLA.htm#registr)
    *   _Cost_ (http://www.envirochangemakers.org/TTLA.htm#tuit)
    *   _Prerequisites_ (http://www.envirochangemakers.org/TTLA.htm#prereq)
Detailed agenda:    Sunday, September 14 movie: "The End of  Suburbia", a
movie that discusses the dwindling  supply of cheap energy in the form of fossil
fuels and its effect on  society.  Movie website _here_
(http://www.endofsuburbia.com/) .  We will conclude the  screening with a community discussion to
address what Rob Hopkins  humorously calls "post-petroleum stress disorder."
Attendees will  leave with a homework assignment for the week prior to the Sept
20  session.
Saturday, September 20  session: Designing the Transition
    *   Part I: Understanding what lies ahead
    *   "The Hydrocarbon Twins" an  examination of global warming and peak
oil.  Also, biocapacity  issues.  Guest speaker T.B.A.
    *   "Energy Descent Futures"  Joanne Poyourow, co-founder of the
Environmental Change-Makers, recaps  the ideas David Holmgren shared in a 2005
conference in Santa Barbara  (preview_  here_
(http://www.futurescenarios.org/content/view/16/31/) )
    *   The Great Turning  concept  (preview _here_
(http://www.findhorn.org/events_report/2008/03/day_2_taking_heart_in_tough_ti_1.php) )
    *   "Sustainability as a  Yardstick" by Joanne Poyourow, co-founder of
the Environmental Change-Makers
    *   Break, with assignment
    *   Part II: How Do We Get There From Here?
    *   "Introduction to the  Transition Concept" by Rob Hopkins via video
    *   Introduction to Energy Descent Action  Plans (EDAP)
    *   Vegetarian and local foods lunch, with assignment
    *   Part III: Roll Up Your Sleeves
    *   Scoping: What is our  community?  Rob Hopkins works with  distinct
towns of 2500 people.  We have WAY more than that.   What is our community?  How
much do we bite off for the first  known Transition Town attempt in the LA
basin?  How do we  determine what is enough, and what is too much?  The
community  discussion in this segment will determine the makeup of the breakout
sessions that follow.
    *   Breakout sessions
    *   Track A:  EDAP development track.   Attendees who live within
geographical proximity of each other will  break out into group(s) to brainstorm.
What is needed in order  to begin an EDAP for our community?  How far away are
we from  beginning a Plan? We'll take a beginning inventory of tools at our
disposal: positive happenings in this local area, power-down  resources, human
resources.
    *   Track B:  Cross-pollination track.   Cross-pollination is what bees
do as they carry pollen from one  flower to another.  Attendees who live in
outlying areas will  brainstorm ideas about getting their community ready for a
gathering  like this conference.  Rob Hopkins describes "Creating a sense  that
something is happening."  How do you do this?  How  did Westchester get ready
enough to host this conference? (we'll  tell you)  What do I need to do
within my pocket of So Calif?

Thursday, September 25 session: Peak Oil Community Discussion -  We'll
conduct a _World Cafe_ (http://www.theworldcafe.com/articles/cafetogo.pdf)  style
discussion about power  down solutions, the Transition concept, and application
here in  LA. This session is designed to continue the  community-oriented work
we began on Sept. 20.     Thursday, October 23 session: "Power Down" - This
regular  meeting of the Environmental Change-Makers will be related to the
conference topic.  We will discuss What We Can Do, as individual  citizens, to
"power down" our own lifestyles.
Registration information
Download a registration  form _(pdf)_
(http://www.envirochangemakers.org/documents/LAOregistr.pdf)   (or _html_
(http://www.envirochangemakers.org/LAORegForm.htm)  if  pdf doesn't work).   Please return your registration form via
email,  snail mail, or hand delivery, to the _Environmental  Change-Makers_
(http://www.envirochangemakers.org/ECM.contact.htm) .  Registration is due by Sept.
6.    Yes, it is  possible to attend some sessions and skip others - we
invite you to attend  as many portions as you can.  Realize, however, that the Life
After  Oil Conference is designed as a continuous progression; you will miss
out  on content.
Cost  information
    *   Sunday, Sept. 14, 6pm -  Movie "The End of Suburbia" - free,  no
registration required.
    *   Saturday, Sept. 20,  9am-5pm - "Designing the Transition" -
$50 tuition includes  vegetarian lunch, and helps defray conference costs.
(A limited  number of work/study scholarships are available - _contact us_
(http://www.envirochangemakers.org/ECM.contact.htm)   asap if interested)
    *   Thursday, Sept 25,  7-9pm - Peak Oil Community Discussion - free, no
registration  required.
    *   Thursday, October 23, 7-9pm - "Power Down" - free, no registration
required.
Prerequisites
With the Life Beyond Oil  conference, we are embarking on a journey. This
conference is not intended  as a mere one-day entertainment. It is intended as
the beginning of a  transformative process, upon which rests the security of our
urban  future.
Our mainstream society has ill-prepared us to consider the  concept of Life
After Oil. Thus we ask that you do some homework to orient  yourself into these
power-down ideas. At a minimum, please complete the  Essential Reading list
(3 items). It would be great if you could  read a few of the other items
suggested prior to the conference.
Essential reading (pretty  much mandatory):
    *   _The Peak Oil  Primer_ (http://www.energybulletin.net/primer.php)
(single webpage)
    *   Union of Concerned Scientists, "_Our  Changing Climate: Assessing the
Risks to California_
(http://www.climatechoices.org/ca/site/our-changing-climate.html) " (16 page pdf)
    *   David Holmgren, "The Essence of Permaculture" (pdf available _here_
(http://www.holmgren.com.au/) )
    *   "_Energy Descent  Action Plan (EDAP) Primer_
(http://www.eatthesuburbs.org/edap-primer/) " single webpage from Adam Grubb
Strongly recommended:
    *   Hopkins, Rob, The Transition Handbook.  A detailed  discussion of the
Transition concept and a refinement of several years  of what Hopkins has
explored in the UK and shared on his blog.  The  book is currenly only available
in the UK, but a limited number of  copies will be available at upcoming
_Environmental  Change-Makers meetings_
(http://www.envirochangemakers.org/ECM.calendar.htm) .  Otherwise, order directly from the _author_
(http://transitionculture.org/shop/the-transition-handbook/) .
    *   selections from the Transition Culture website:
    *   Resilience (page 5 of _this  pdf_
(http://transitionculture.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/TransitionHbook12ppBladLR.pdf) )
    *   _Trough  Oil_
(http://transitionculture.org/2008/01/21/is-peak-oil-the-best-way-of-looking-at-this-might-trough-oil-be-more-useful/)
    *   _What  Exactly Is Energy Descent? _
(http://transitionculture.org/2006/05/02/what-exactly-is-energy-descent/#more-318)
    *   Ecological Footprint:  _overview_
(http://www.footprintnetwork.org/gfn_sub.php?content=footprint_overview) ,  and _world  trends_
(http://www.footprintnetwork.org/gfn_sub.php?content=global_footprint)  (two single webpages)
Suggested reading -  general:
    *   _Kinsale  2021: Energy Descent Action Plan_
(http://transitionculture.org/wp-content/uploads/KinsaleEnergyDescentActionPlan.pdf)  (pdf)
    *   McKibben, Bill, Deep Economy
    *   Whitefield, Patrick, Permaculture in a Nutshell
    *   Chiras, Dan and Wann, Dave, Superbia
Suggested reading -  specific topics:
    *   (culture) "_10  Things To Do to Prepare for Life Beyond Oil_
(http://transitionculture.org/essential-info/pdf-downloads/10-things-to-do-to-prepare-f
or-life-beyond-oil/) " by Rob Hopkins (pdf)
    *   (energy) "_Worse  than Fossil Fuel_
(http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2005/12/06/worse-than-fossil-fuel/) " George Monbiot
    *   (energy) "_Nuclear  Energy in Brief_
(http://www.theleaneconomyconnection.net/nuclear/summary.html) " a single page from the pdf book The Lean
Guide to  Nuclear Energy by David Fleming
    *   (energy) _Nuclear  Guardianship_
(http://www.joannamacy.net/html/nuclear.html)  by Joanna Macy
    *   (education and culture change) _12 Tools for  Transition_
(http://transitiontowns.org/TransitionNetwork/12Steps)  by Rob Hopkins.
    *   (food/agriculture) Gardening for the Future of the Earth,  Howard
Yana-Shapiro, editor
    *   (finance/economics) _Genuine  Progress Indicator_
(http://www.rprogress.org/publications/2007/GPI2006_ExecSumm.pdf)  Executive Summary (pdf)
    *   (government) _Post Carbon Cities:  Planning for Energy and Climate
Uncertainty, a Guidebook on Peak Oil and  Global Warming for Local Governments_
(http://postcarboncities.net/guidebook) , by the Post Carbon  Institute.  Free
abridged pdf version available online, or copies  of the complete work may be
purchased.
    *   (health care)"_Healing Without Harm:  Ecologically Sustainable
Medicine_ (http://www.teleosis.org/pdf/WithoutHarm.pdf) ," by Joel Kreisberg, DC
    *   (spiritual) [ECMg resource list]

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.