[Scpg] Reforestation Presentation Costa Rica Request Sept 2008 for speaking engagement in Santa Barbara area

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Aug 14 12:59:57 PDT 2008

Reforestation Presentation Request Sept 2008  for  speaking
engagement in Santa Barbara area

please reply to Mary Blizzard <mblizzard519 at msn.com>

I am writing on behalf of the founders of La Reserva Forest
Foundation (www.la-reserva.org) who will be
in the Santa Barbara area September 22nd - 27th to talk about their
work in Costa Rica.

After living and farming in Costa Rica for over 20 years Roberta
Ward-Smiley and her husband Dan Spreen-Wilson founded LRFF. They
began by converting their 100 acre farm back to native forest 9 years
ago and have witnessed an amazing return of species: flora, birds,
monkeys, sloths, amphibians, and many others. For the past three
years Roberta has been giving tours through their forest to educate
participants in the interdependency of species. She's a knowledgeable
and inspiring speaker.

Roberta and Dan are now involved in contracting with other farmers in
their area to 1) preserve existing stands of native forest and 2)
reforest pasture land with native species. Their goal is to be part
of a biological corridor that will one day stretch through Central
America. More immediately the goal is to have a corridor that runs
through Costa Rica.

The benefits of their work are enormous. Preserving and planting
trees is, as I'm sure you know, one well-accepted means of reducing
atmospheric CO2. Species preservation is dependent upon such efforts.

Roberta and Dan's approach is unique and their story well worth
hearing. They give a marvelous & inspirational presentation that is
about 45 minutes in length. I'm working with them to set up venues
for their presentation. If you would be interested in having them
speak at your facility please respond to this email or call me at the
number below.

Thank you for your consideration of this request. I would be happy to
answer any questions you might have.

Sincerely,
Mary Blizzard
541-312-9805
Mary Blizzard <mblizzard519 at msn.com>

8/4/2008 8:09 AM

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org