[Scpg] Sept. 1st deadline for Issue #70 of the Permaculture Activist with the theme "Ethics at Work."

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Aug 17 07:37:47 PDT 2008

Dear Pc Community,

Please take note of the September 1st deadline for Issue #70 of the
Permaculture Activist with the theme "Ethics at Work."  The issue is due
out November 1st and will cover events for Winter '08-'09. The Next Issue
out will be February 1st, "Working with the Earth."

Send me any Event and Calendar listings as well as advertising -
classified and display.

Be sure to see below  Writer's Guidelines for submitting articles.

www.permacultureactivist.net

  Permaculture Activist Writers' Guidelines

Thank you for you interest in writing for the Permaculture Activist, the
oldest journal on permaculture and related subjects. The following
guidelines will help you prepare and submit materials for publication
consideration.

SUBMITTING WRITTEN MATERIALS
The Activist accepts feature articles; book, video, and film reviews;
reports on conferences, convergences, and gatherings of interest; brief
news items, "From the Regions"; "Movement Musings"; letters to the
editor, and  other materials.

- Feature articles should be 1,500-3,000 words in length and on topics
of the widest possible interest that address the theme of the particular
issue (Upcoming deadlines and future issue themes are published in each
issue).

We want experienced permaculturists to write about what they know but if
you write about your site, project, course, etc., it must be of general
interest and application, not simply to promote yourself or your work.
Whenever possible, cite examples from other projects or permaculturists
with which you are familiar and give practical details so that readers
not only understand your project but
can cull and use information and techniques you have used and perfected.

Important questions to consider and answer in your article include: How
did you do it? What was the design process? Who participated? How long
did it take? At what stage is the project?  What was learned from
successes and mistakes?  How does the project embody specific
permaculture ethics and principles?  What are the plans for the future?

- Reviews of books, video, or film should be from 500 to 1,200 words in
length.

- "From the Regions" items are brief reports about news and happenings
of interest in the writer's area and may be submitted as news releases
or short features of between 800 and 1,000 words. These items need not
relate directly to the theme of an issue. Items that relate to
date-specific events, courses, etc., should be submitted as calendar or
events listings.

- Reports on convergences, conferences, and gatherings of interest may
be submitted as features or as items for "From the Regions" if they
reflect a regional focus. These items need not relate directly to the
theme of an issue.

- "Movement Musings" are akin to editorials or they may report on
aspects of permaculture education, organization, or social and political
impacts. They should reflect the writer's views and experiences on
topics of interest in permaculture (1,000-1,500 words). These items do
not need to relate directly to the theme of an issue.

Submission of materials to the Activist is not a guarantee of
publication.We use many criteria to select items to publish including,
but not limited to: relevance to the issue's theme, general interest to
readers, good writing and clear communication of the subject, balance of
subjects and geographic focus or origin of articles in each issue, use
of photos and illustrations, and other considerations. We read all
submissions received by deadline but may decline to publish any item or
may hold a story for publication in a future issue. We will notify
writers of our decision in advance of publication. We cannot be
responsible to return unsolicited items.

ADVANCE NOTICE OF YOUR SUBMISSION
If you wish to submit an article, it is very important that you let us
know what you are thinking before the deadline. A short e-mail or phone
call outlining your story idea is sufficient and helps us plan the
content of an issue in advance. We may ask you to include a specific
focus in your article. Advising us of your intentions and ideas in
advance will enhance your chances of being published. Write to
editor at permacultureactivist.net or call Scott Horton at (951) 659-5362.

DEADLINES
The Permaculture Activist is a quarterly published in February, May,
August and November. Deadline for submitting materials is the first of
the month two months prior to publication (e.g. December 1 is the
deadline for February, March 1 for May, June 1 for August, and September
1 for November). Materials submitted after deadlines will not be
considered for publication in the upcoming issue.

WRITING STYLE
If you have questions about style, grammar, punctuation, etc. please
consult The Chicago Manual of Style (University of Chicago Press). We
really appreciate writers submitting materials in the style of the
magazine.

EDITING YOUR WORK
We reserve the right to edit all materials submitted for content,
grammar, punctuation, length, clarity, and accuracy. We may ask writers
to fact check and provide additional documentation and references of
factual material included in their work. If substantial edits are made,
we will make every effort to send the writer the edited version in
advance of publication for comments or may ask the writer to revise or
re-write. We will not contact writers regarding edits for grammar,
style, or punctuation.

PHOTOS AND GRAPHICS
If you are submitting photos, they should be in digital format at 150
dpi, no smaller than 5"x7" format, no larger than 8"x10", and saved as
.tif or .jpg files. All photos must be accompanied by captions
identifying the subject of the photo, location, and all people pictured.
If you have hard copy photos or slides you wish to submit, please make
arrangements with the editor well in advance. Graphics should be as
simple as possible with clear, bold lines, good contrast, and as little
screening as possible. We prefer to receive graphics as .tif files.

PERMISSIONS
Writers are solely responsible for obtaining permissions for copyrighted
or protected materials they submit to the Activist.  This includes
quotes, lyrics, excerpts from others' works, releases from people in
photos, original and protected artwork, etc. You must obtain all
necessary permissions before you submit your materials and submission of
them to the Activist constitutes the writer's guarantee that all
permissions have been granted. Writers are responsible for supplying the
Activist with all credits for use of others' work (e.g. "photo courtesy
of _______" or "excerpt used
with permission of the author").

Upon publication, the Permaculture Activist owns first North American
publishing rights to your materials unless other arrangements have been
made with us in writing in advance. This means that if you wish to have
your material published elsewhere, you must request permission from the
Activist (which we almost always grant) and your materials when
published elsewhere
must include the credit "Originally published in the Permaculture
Activist."

While we prefer to publish original, previously unpublished work, we do
consider materials that have been published elsewhere, but you must
disclose this upon submission of your work and have secured permission
for republication in the Activist.

OTHER QUESTIONS
Please feel free to contact us if you have other questions or thoughts
at editor at permacultureactivist.net or by calling editor Scott Horton at
(951)659-5362.

Many thanks for your interest.  We look forward to hearing from you.

12/05