[Scpg] Homegrown Evolution a blog that explores a fast-growing new movement: urbanites are becoming gardeners and farmers

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Oct 1 07:32:43 PDT 2008

Homegrown Evolution

http://www.homegrownevolution.com/

About

Erik Knutzen and Kelly Coyne write Homegrown Evolution, a blog that
explores a fast-growing new movement: urbanites are becoming
gardeners and farmers. Kelly and Erik are the authors of The Urban
Homestead coming out in June of 2008 from Process Media. They have
researched and experimented with small scale urban agriculture since
moving to their tiny bungalow in Los Angeles ten years ago. Since
2006, in this practical, hands-on blog, we have shared our successes
and failures and include step-by-step directions and links to
resources that will get you started urban homesteading immediately,
whether you live in an apartment or a house. Contact us at survivela
[insert "at" symbol] sbcglobal.net.

Interests

    *
<http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=urban+Farming>urban
Farming
    *
<http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=self-sufficiency>self-sufficiency

    *
<http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=urban+agriculture>urban
agriculture
    *
<http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=fermentation>fermentation

    *
<http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=urban+homesteading>urban
homesteading
    *
<http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=vegetable+gardening>vegetable
gardening
    *
<http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=food+preservation>food
preservation
    * <http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=bicycles>bicycles
    *
<http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=sustainable+living>sustainable
living
    *
<http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=green+living>green
living
    *
<http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=green+lifestyles>green
lifestyles
    *
<http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=greywater>greywater
    *
<http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=solar+energy>solar
energy
    *
<http://www.blogger.com/profile//profile-find.g?t=i&q=solar+cooking>solar
cooking
The Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-Sufficient Living in the
Heart of the City
by <http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin//s?author=Kelly Coyne>Kelly Coyne

The Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-Sufficient Living in th

[]

About This Book

ISBN13: 9781934170014
ISBN10: 1934170011

<http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin//book?isbn=1-9781934170014-0&type=insidethecover>
[]

Synopses & Reviews

Publisher Comments:

The Urban Homesteadis the essential handbook for a fast-growing new
movement: urbanites are becoming gardeners and farmers. Rejecting
both end-times hand wringing and dewy-eyed faith that technology will
save us from ourselves, urban homesteaders choose instead to act. By
growing their own food and harnessing natural energy, they are
planting seeds for the future of our cities.

If you would like to harvest your own vegetables, raise city
chickens, or convert to solar energy, this practical, hands-on book
is full of step-by-step projects that will get you started
homesteading immediately, whether you live in an apartment or a
house. It is also a guidebook to the larger movement and will point
you to the best books and Internet resources on self-sufficiency topics.

Projects include:
    * How to grow food on a patio or balcony
    * How to clean your house without toxins
    * How to preserve food
    * How to cook with solar energy
    * How to divert your grey water to your garden
    * How to choose the best homestead for you

Written by city dwellers for city dwellers, this illustrated, smartly
designed, two-color instruction book proposes a paradigm shift that
will improve our lives, our community, and our planet. Authors Kelly
Coyne and Erik Knutzen happily farm in Los Angeles and run the urban
homestead blog www.homegrownrevolution.org.
back to top

About the Author

Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutzen are creators of the blog
homegrownrevolution.org, a green living and self-sufficiency resource
for urbanites. They contribute regularly to Daniel Pinchbeck's new
online magazine, realitysandwich.com. They live in Los Angeles.