[Scpg] tamale workshop

Quail Springs info at quailsprings.org
Sun Oct 26 10:18:45 PDT 2008

Food for Celebration!

Creating a Feast of Tamales, with chef Roberto Garcia, at Quail Springs

November 8-9, 2008, Saturday and Sunday

To have a party, many in my family would say, "Solo dame una razon!"- Just
give me a reason!

We would like to share the enthusiasm of my family and Mexico celebrating
with you, preparing tamales as a gift to life and joy! Mexico is a festive
country with over 5000 yearly parties commemorating historic events,
religious observances and many celebrations of pre-Hispanic origin to honor
Earth, our mother, as well as for other forces of nature, which complement
her and follow a calendar of agricultural cycles. There are parties made in
glorification of the solar cycle, fertility & prosperity as well as parties
of darkness and penance, as well as many family celebrations of life events.
All having in common food, especially those using corn, which makes tamales
one of the most often prepared dishes found at the center of the banquet
table.

Learn the preparation process of Masa (corn-dough) using traditional family
techniques and at least six different types of tamales along with various
sauces, and take a care package home! The workshop cost is $150 and includes
instruction, materials/ingredients, and meals, plus a care package of
tamales to take home!

For more info or to register, please contact: Lyn Gieseke at
lyn.giesecke at gmail.com or 805-886-7239