[Scpg] Highland Park Community Garden

Jaci June professionalgoatslapper at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 08:42:28 PST 2008

> Hi all,

> There are a few of us in Highland Park (South of Pasadena) who are in the
> process of turning a vacant lot into a garden. The history of the lot is
> that it once was covered by a house that burned down in a fire started by
> some riff-raff. So you can imagine the soil is very compacted, hardpan and
> the top soil is sandy. The weeds that have made it home include an abundance
> of lambs quarter gone to seed, dried up plantains, and some low grass I
> can't identify. For the most part the land is barren and dry. So I weeded
> what I could, and started a heap of compost. What I would like to do is
> eventually plant into the finished compost as the base of my topsoil.

  So I'm calling out to anyone who knows about detox/pioneer plants, ground
covers, trees or other plants that break up hardpan, ESPECIALLY  if any of
these plants are native to the Los Angeles area. Any other information about
where I can acquire these plants and seeds locally, discounted, or for trade
would also be appreciated.

-Jaci June