[Scpg] Cob Workshop Nov 15 & 16 Los Angeles

Kristina Mata L.A at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 11 20:59:55 PST 2008

Unique Urban Cob Building 101

Intermediate Cob Plastering Workshop

November 15th-16th Saturday and Sunday 9 am - 4 pm

All levels of experiance will find something of value.

Learn to sculpt your own raised garden beds using clay, straw and
sand. Cob is a technique for building structures that won't rot, can't
burn down and bugs won't eat it. Earth is one of the oldest building
materials on the planet and still the most common. This workshop is
led by Ray Cirino creative sustainable artist, inventor, builder and
permaculture practitioner who has designed hybrid stoves, street
furniture and houses. Intermediate students learn the finer art of
plastering ( possibly mosaic using broken pottery if there is
sufficent interest ) and how to finish and seal our work using linseed
oil and other natural protectants.

$60 fee. For more info contact  Tina Mata <L.A at earthlink.net>

RAISED BEDS MADE OF RAMMED EARTH:
About cob . It is a technique for building structures using clay,
straw and sand. It won't rot, can't burn down and bugs won't eat it.
Earth is one of the oldest building materials on the planet and still
the most common.

Currently, cob is enjoying a revival of interest where many have led
the way in researching and teaching this healthy, easy to learn,
environmentally sustainable technology.

Sculpt your own raised veggie beds using your hands and inexpensive
non-toxic natural materials. No power tools or previous building
experience required. You will find a cool late winter workshop the
perfect time to engage sculpting with Cob.  We intend to make
tremendous organized progress in this practical and condensed 2 day
workshop.

Cob workshops are for gaining experience, and we have lots to share.
Newbie’s are encouraged to ask questions during work party's progress.

Rammed Earth A technique where we form the cob beds using perforated
metal.

Raised beds out of Cob ? ! ?  Has this been done before ?

Tried cob beds that incorporate Permaculture philosophy of landscape
design, ecological concepts, common sense, and other ways of living
more in tune with the resources of the earth.

Our innovative trials have withstood 3 years of weathering and we are
now ready to share our findings with you.

Ray Cirino is a natural and patient teacher who inspires  us all with
his extensive knowledge, skill, experience and esthetic. A creative
sustainable artist, inventor, builder and permaculture practitioner
who has designed hybrid stoves, street furniture and houses for over a
decade.  Balancing function and beauty, Ray has something new and
innovative for us once again!

What is included?

You Can Learn In Just 2 Days How To:
* Build with Cob, a traditional mixture of earth, water, sand and
straw and an additional new secret ingredient. * Reduce labor using
innovative mixing techniques* Design using nutrient and water flow
concepts*Select building materials and determine the best mixture for
a given soil.
* Sculpt a raised bed with built-in seating areas. * Evaluate natural
alternatives for your own garden * Reduce your dependency on money and
ecologically harmful practices.
* Avoid costly mistakes many novice builders make.
*Share , workshop graduates will be invited to duplicate learnings and
share with others..

Transit friendly Location:

Mid-Wilshire with its rich diversity is buzzing with activity,
excitement and new developments. Excellent access to public
transportation ( 4 blocks from Wilshire/Western Metro Train, 1 block
from major bus lines . Near corner of 3rd and Western ).

SIGN ME UP !   $60 Fee includes 2 days of instruction, intensive hands-
on learning. (Discounted rate of $40 for early registration & groups
paying in advance) .

Tina Mata <L.A at earthlink.net>  to hold your place and to receive
announcements and updates surrounding this event. Do come and join us
expecting to work hard, and to make lasting friendships. For all ages
and abilities.