[Scpg] Best plants for fire-retardant landscaping in Santa Barbara?

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Mon Nov 17 08:14:33 PST 2008

I'm starting to put together a list based on what people have been  e-mailing
me and e-mailing to the lists.  Would love additions and  corrections!

Linda

TREES
Avocados (if  well watered - can be used as firebreak in green belts
surrounding  homes?)
Citrus (if  well watered - can be used as firebreak in green belts
surrounding  homes?)
Deciduous  fruit trees
Figs
SHRUB  LAYER
Agave
Coprosma
Opuntia
BULBS
Agapanthus
Arum
Canna
Spring  bulbs
GROUND  COVERS
Succulents,  ice plants, sedums.
Plectranthus?
Tradescantia
PLANTS TO  AVOID:
Eucalyptus  (certain kinds)
Olive  trees?
Pampas  grass
Pine  trees
What about  our native coast live oaks?  Are they highly flammable?
Bay  Laurel?
Bottle  brush?
Willow?
What about  the tropicals like cherimoya, sapote, feijoa etc.?