[Scpg] Natural Fireproofing Work Party Santa Basrbara Wed. Nov 19th, Thursday Nov 20 /Tuesday Nov 25

lakinroe at silcom.com lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Nov 19 16:38:09 PST 2008

Subject: Natural Fireproofing Work Party

Wes--could you post this to the appropriate lists, please?

Thanks,

Art

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to global climate disruption, we're now looking at an 11 month fire season in SB.

And with California's economy tanking, it's just a matter of time before most of the state adopts the Mexican fire suppression philosophy: let it burn.

Interestingly, they lose no more than we do, because the more frequent fires burn less intensely, and most construction is masonry.

The trick is to make defensible structures and let the frequent, mild fires take care of clearing the rest.

Together with folk from the Natural Building Colloquium we've covered most of the last of the exposed wood on our 1920 summer cabin with earth plaster.

You're welcome to come up and get muddy (and eat great organic food) with us while learning and helping cover the rest.

Tomorrow and the next day, (Wednesday the 19th, Thursday the 20th) we're pushing to finish the scratch coat on the east wall.

We'll continue Tuesday the 25th through the end of the week.

The work consists of slip straw undercoat, scratch coat, sculptural cob pillar and cob arches. At the same time, there will be sandstone rock work happening, and then the new pajarilla/ cob bench rocket stove pipe bench nook in bamboo and pumice cob. We're also working on fireproofing details such as papercrete fascia, sandstone window sills, etc.

It is looking exceedingly awesome, and quite fire resistant.

For more info and directions e mail oasis at oasisdesign.net

Take care...

Art

http://www.oasisdesign.net/projects/sbnbcafterparty/WallProgression