[Scpg] SAT Dec 6/SB Permaculture Network Annual Trip to Cal-Earth Institute of Earth Art & Architecture

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Mon Nov 24 03:09:17 PST 2008

Contact: Margie Bushman
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571, email: margie at sbpermaculture.org

Emacs!

SANTA BARBARA PERMACULTURE NETWORK
Presents:
Annual Trip to Cal-Earth Institute of Earth Art & Architecture
Demonstration Site of Visionary Architect Nader Khalili

Saturday, December 6, 2008, All Day

         On Saturday, December 6, 2008, Santa Barbara Permaculture
Network takes its annual roadtrip to the Cal-Earth Institute of Earth
Art and Architecture in Hesperia, CA, to visit the demonstration site
of visionary architect Nader Khalili.

In this high desert local, Nader Khalili, his wife Iliona, and a
staff of volunteer architects, engineers and student interns have
been building innovative dome shaped earthen structures for almost 20
years.  These structures, using only the earth found on the site,
have attracted the interest of NASA scientists, the United Nations,
those interested in emergency disaster housing, and individuals
looking to build affordable housing.  The domes are cheap and easy to
build as well as environmentally sound, and resistant to natural
disaster, including floods, earthquakes and fires, making them
especially appropriate to Southern California.  They have been
earthquake tested to 6.5 on the Richter scale.  For the last few
years a 3 bedroom, 2 car garage prototype that would appeal to
California suburban dwellers was being meticulously worked out, with
Khalili mentioning  the increased frequency of fires in our region
and a need to build homes that could withstand them.  Originally
called "ceramic houses" they were intended to be fired as a ceramic
pot would be, for greater strength and beauty.

Nader Khahili was born in Iran, moving to the United States to build
high rises in his early architectural career.  He returned to Iran in
the 1970's on a desert odyssey by motorcycle to study the ancient
architecture of his land, hoping to learn how to design affordable
and sustainable architecture for the billions in the world who can't
afford housing.  Studying the shape of a dome, that repeated itself
across that landscape, he came up with a model that allows anyone,
with minimal skills, to dig what is under their feet and build shelter.

Khalili, who passed away in March 2008, was a translator and student
of the 13th century Persian Sufi poet Rumi, often quoting and
reciting his poetry on his public tours.  Rumi's poetry taught
Khalili that earth, water, air and fire are the basic elements of
life, and that if we understand the equilibrium of these elements we
will never have environmental problems.  He is the author of six
books, including his autobiography "Racing Alone";  "Sidewalks on the
Moon", and "Ceramic Houses and Earth Architecture".

The trip takes place on Saturday, December 6, departing at 6am from a
downtown location, returning by 6:30pm the same day.  Participants
would be driving their own vehicles, or arranging carpooling. There
is no fee, potluck lunch. For more information about this trip,
please contact Santa Barbara Permaculture Network organizer, Wes Roe
at (805) 964-1555, or wes at sbpermaculture.org, www.sbpermaculture.org.
More information about Cal-Earth and Nader Khalili can be found at
www.calearth.org.

<<<
You Tube
You Tube videos of Cal-Earth & Nader Khalili:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5_LPYFyaFE&feature=related

Cal-Earth model goes to Nepal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5y_Dion9E&feature=related

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org