[Scpg] Sandy soils

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 08:46:14 PST 2008

Well, I'm in Florida grappling with incredibly sandy soils.  I mean, this is like beach sand, even inland!  And they're trying to grow grass lawns here, it's pretty ridiculous.  Lots of interesting groundcover weeds grow instead usually. I'm still figuring out which are edible. Most are nitrogen fixing - clover, ornamental peanut, etc.

 I'm looking for relatively fast ways to create veggie beds so that the nutrients don't all leach right through the sand.

One person suggested using a barrier of compacted organic material to slow nutrient loss while letting water go through (layers of cardboard/organic stuff - a watered down version of "glee").    Has anybody on this list had experience with very sandy soils and remedying them simply, quickly and relatively inexpensively?

Cory