[Scpg] Sandy soils

L. Santoyo santoyo at earthflow.com
Thu Dec 11 10:47:06 PST 2008

Hello Cory,

I echo the recommendations of Dan and John and, would add that in our
experience growing in coastal sand, we decided to, in effect, created giant
container gardens by excavating garden beds (lining them with chickenwire
for gophers), then filling them with compost.  They were classic
permaculture "floating lenses" -beds of soil on the sand- and, along with
modified "pit gardens" were planted with fruit and leguminous trees. See
chapters on soils and drylands in the Designer's Manual.

But yes, even with that, the beds required seemingly constant additions of
organic matter.  If we were to be in that situation again, I think I would
try that cardboard glee-esque underlayer (or try old carpets even).

I would also focus on using compost teas, feeding the plants through their
leaves, as well as the roots, and inoculate the soil with indigenous
microorganisms (and perhaps, fungal species as well).

Kathryn