[Scpg] I'm teaching Permaculture course next semester at SBCC

Kendy Radasky kendyrad at verizon.net
Sun Dec 14 14:07:54 PST 2008

Hi there Permaculture folks -

I just wanted to officially get the word out that I will be co-
teaching a Permaculture Design course at SBCC this coming semester
(Thursdays from 2-5:20p).  My co-instructors will be Mike Gonella
(head of SBCC Environmental Horticulture Dept.), in addition to
several local guest teachers.  It will be offered through the college
itself (not adult ed.), and is cross-listed between the Environmental
Studies and Environmental Horticulture Depts. -- ENVS 210 and EH 210.
At this time, the course is not approved as an official PDC, but we
look forward to being able to offer a certificate-based course in the
near future.  We will model this course after the format of a PDC,
however, and will include discussions of all the primary PDC course
topics in addition to a final group design project.

We are super excited to be offering this course through SBCC; we look
forward to interacting with what we expect to be a diverse group of
environmental studies and environmental horticulture students combined
with SB-area community members at large.  The cost for this 50-hour
course is under $40, so it will be accessible to many who cannot
afford most permaculture courses (thanks to Environmental Studies
Dept. Head, Adam Green, for facilitating the curriculum approval
process at SBCC and making this course offering possible).

Regardless of your level of experience with permaculture, we would
love for you to come be a part of the first (inaugural) SBCC
Permaculture Class!  The curriculum detail and weekly schedule is
coming together at this point, but I have not yet contacted everyone
whom I would like to involve as guest speakers/teachers.  If you feel
you have something to contribute to the class, and would rather pop in
and share a bit than take the whole course, please let me know soon.
However, I'd encourage you to sign up for the course if you can, since
we need a minimum of 20 students for the course to take place (maximum
30).

In case you don't know me, here's a little bit about how I came to
where I am...
- I'm a Goleta local
- earned my B.S. in Zoology at UC Davis and my M.S. in Ecology at the
U of Arizona
- experienced in ecological field work with birds, plants, and some
small mammals
- experienced with restoration ecology (locally) through Coal Oil
Point Reserve and SB Audubon
- taught intro bio, ecology, and environmental field studies at SBCC
from 2002-2005
- got involved with permaculture in 2004 through Margie and Wes, and
got my PDC at Occidental Arts and Ecology Center in 2005
- lived in SLC, Utah for past 2 years leading the permaculture program
(and the community forestry program) at a non-profit called TreeUtah
- just moved back to town this summer and am excited to be involved in
the SB area permaculture goings-on again!

Pass the word, please, and feel free to distribute the attached flier
widely.  Thanks for your time and energy,
Kendy Radasky
(961-9378)
kendyrad at verizon.net

Permaculture Design Course*
at Santa Barbara City College
January 29th – May 21st, 2008
15 Thursdays, 2-5:20pm
Taught by Kendy Radasky and Mike Gonella (with guest teachers)

Permaculture is a design system that enables humans to interact in a
positive and regenerative way with our surroundings, as we consciously
create lifeways that focus on emulating natural patterns such as
diversity, connectivity, resilience, flow, and cycling.

Everyone can learn permaculture design principles and techniques and
apply them fruitfully to their lives… including: students, architects,
massage therapists, homeowners, environmental/social activists,
medical professionals, teachers, retired people,  gardeners, dancers,
and more!

Topics of this course will include: the philosophy and ethics of
permaculture, concepts and methods of design, pattern understanding,
ecological functions of soils and plants, relocalizing food
production, water harvesting systems, animal systems, natural
building, renewable energy, and building community connections (among
others).

Our goals with this course:
·      inclusive and empowering
·      breadth and depth
·      creative teaching styles (including lots of group and hands-on
activities)
·      affordable (~$40 including all SBCC fees)
·      practice your skills to create your own design

Join us in our efforts to create a more sustainable Earth Community –
sign up for SBCC’s first Permaculture Design class.  We look forward
to learning with you!

Enroll online at www.sbcc.edu or on the SBCC campus.
Course is cross-listed as Environmental Studies (ENVS) 210 (CRN #
59034) and Environmental Horticulture (EH) 210 (CRN # 59033).

* This is not currently a certificate-based (PDC) course.

Questions or problems?  Contact Kendy Radasky at kendyrad at verizon.net
or 961-9378.

"Tell me, what is it that you plan to do with your one wild and
precious life?"  -Mary Oliver