[Scpg] Vertical Gardening Book/Books @ SB Botanic Garden

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sat Dec 20 11:31:46 PST 2008

Emacs!

Wow, has anyone seen this book?  It describes
greening our cities, in what amounts to large
scale hydroponics on the side of large buildings
in Paris.  After attending the Eco-Cities
International conference in San Francisco last
year, where it was proposed Cities could be the
solution, not the problem, this book give me
hope.  If nothing else, a way to cool and beautify our cities of concrete.

Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63D2UkkTtBQ

  The book is available at the Santa Barbara
Botanic Garden bookstore, among many others I
noticed when strolling through last week.  I work
there, but am still amazed at the selection store
manager Gail Milliken has stocked, including all
the Permaculture books you have heard of and more.

Maybe you are still looking for last minute
gifts?  Here are some more I stumbled upon while
wandering through this beautiful little gem of a
gift store.  Of course you can always find them
on Amazon, but you won't be supporting your local
institutions, and keeping your tax dollars in
your own home town.  We have to start thinking in
this selfish way, hometown first, corporations,
last.  Margie Bushman, SB Permaculture Network

(Currently, all books 20% off, 25% if SBBG Member)
Firescaping, Creating Fire Landscapes in
California's Diverse Environment, by Douglas Kent
Nature's Beloved Son, Rediscovering John Muir's Botanical Legacy
The Olive In California, by Judith Taylor
The Home Orchard, developed especially for use by backyard orchardists .
Roots Demystified by Robert Kourik
Enduring Seeds, by Gary Nabhan
River Song children's book with CD
Emeralds Journey, A Child's Summer with a Horny Toad Hatchling
American Household Botany, Judith Summer
Renewing Americas Food Traditions, edited by Gary Nabhan.
THE SUNFLOWER FOREST: Ecological Restoration & The New Communion With Nature
by William R. Jordan III, Interesting and
thoughtful examination of the philosophies and
practicalities of ecological restoration.
"Ecological resoration is one of today's most
constructive, hopeful, and provocative
environmental movements, and William Jordan III
is its leading visionary." -- Michael Pollan
many, many others...
contact info:
Santa Barbara Botanic Garden
1212 Mission Canyon Rd
Santa Barbara, CA, 9101
(805) 682-4726, ext.112

20% discounts if you buy between now and
Christmas, an extra 5% if you mention you
received this email.  Gail Milliken has been so
good to us through the years, always willing to
stock whatever books on permaculture or
sustainability we mentioned, until, at this point
it is a destination stop to not only find what
you need, but to get tempted by other related topics.

Recently in Melbourne for the International
Design Festival and to celebrate his latest
installation at Melbourne Central, French
<http://www.verticalgardenpatrickblanc.com/>botanist
and artist Patrick Blanc continues to wow people
around the world with his vertical gardens.

Unlike many Australian green walls, Blanc’s
gardens are not made with engineered panels.
Instead Blanc uses plants that will grow on felt
sheets. “I only use plants that grow in the
wild on rock faces,” he has said.

His new book, The Vertical Garden, is, according
to publisher John Wiley and Sons, “a luscious,
oversized, full-colour book featuring Blanc’s
installations in Madrid, Paris, Bangkok, New
York, Melbourne, Sydney and many more.”

It is available from bookstores for AU$77.95.

Last month, The Age
<http://www.theage.com.au/national/blanc-canvas-20080717-3gy2.html>reported
that Blanc works as both a scientist and an artist. He is:

employed by France’s National Centre for
Scientific Research to conduct field research and
write up his findings. The lines between his
professional interests are so blurry as to be
non-existent, he insists, but it’s the vertical
garden sideline that has made his name and inspired a legion of imitators.
“This is not a bad thing because I cannot cover
all the walls of the world by myself,” he says
of this sincerest form of flattery. “I’m
especially ‘appy because all of the ones I see
until now are not very good.”

Below is a building facade designed by Blanc in
Madrid, Spain. Photo: <http://adaptivereuse.net/>Adaptiveruse.

To listen to an ABC radio interview with Blanc
about choosing the plants for his walls, click
<http://www.abc.net.au/bestof/archive/20080727.htm>here
and scroll down, or
<http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/homepage/bdn_verticalgarden_edit.mp3>listen
(3’36”) here.
[]

Below: press arrow to view a video documentary of
some of Patrick Blanc’s spectacular Parisian walls:

Margie

Margie Bushman
Santa Barbara Botanic Garden
(805) 682-4726, ext 101
<mailto:mbushman at sbbg.org>mbushman at sbbg.org

- Release Date: 12/18/2008 10:16 AM
<file://C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Margie\Application%20Data\Qualcomm\Eudora\Embedded\mime-attachment.jpegw=236&h=300>
mime-attachment.jpegw=236&h=300
<file://C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Margie\Application%20Data\Qualcomm\Eudora\Embedded\mime-attachment.jpegw=236&h=300>
mime-attachment.jpegw=236&h=300
<file://C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Margie\Application%20Data\Qualcomm\Eudora\Embedded\Caixa-Madrid-Patrick-Blanc.jpg>
[]
<file://C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Margie\Application%20Data\Qualcomm\Eudora\Embedded\Caixa-Madrid-Patrick-Blanc.jpg>

Caixa-Madrid-Patrick-Blanc.jpg

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in
new directions, in order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org