[Scpg] -SBOrgGdn- Re: [sbperm] No pruning may offer best roses, fruit crops?

loren luyendyk loren at sborganics.com
Sat Dec 27 14:44:20 PST 2008

I too suspected as much.  I have noticed that (most) pruned fruit trees
produce far less fruit than their unpruned counterparts.  They are also
exposed to disease at the cut.  The only advantages I see to pruning
are for increased fruit size (less fruit means bigger individual
fruits, but overall less weight per tree) and the obvious like crossing limbs or to keep the tree small.

My mom never prunes her roses and they are the healthiest plants I have seen.  She gets flowers all year in Ojai (still blooming).

In my opinion, the most common mistake in pruning (besides pruning too much) is timing.  The time of year is very important in how the plant will respond to the pruning.  We have all seen a tree send out a million shoots at the spot it was pruned.  I think this is because it was pruned at the wrong time.

Loren Luyendyk
(805) 452-8249
www.sborganics.com
www.surferswithoutborders.org