[Scpg] Ed Mazria Monday, January 26, 2009 @ 7:30 PM, Campbell Hall free

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Jan 3 11:45:55 PST 2009

Ed Mazria
Monday, January 26, 2009 @ 7:30 PM, Campbell Hall

Now, it's PersonalŠSolving Our Energy, Climate Change and Economic Crisis

Is it possible to achieve energy independence,
solve climate change and revitalize the United
States' economy with a single solution? According
to visionary Ed Mazria, founder of Architecture
2030 and author of the premier solar design
resource guide The Passive Solar Energy Book, it
is. An award-winning architect, author and
educator, Mazria will present the 2030 Blueprint,
a simple, yet powerful approach to achieving all
of these goals through the building sector, the
largest energy consumer in the United States.

Presented as part of the Global Warming, Food
Security and Our Energy Future Event Series and
by the Institute for Energy Efficiency as part of
the Energy Leadership Lecture Series.

EDWARD MAZRIA
www.mazria.com/people.html
Edward Mazria is an internationally-recognized
architect, author, educator and visionary with a
long and distinguished career. His award-winning
architecture and planning projects span over a
thirty-five year period and each employs a
cutting-edge environmental approach to design. He
is the author of numerous published works,
including the 'bible' of solar design, The
Passive Solar Energy Book, which is currently in
use worldwide.

Most recently, Mr. Mazria has reshaped the
national and international dialogue on climate
change to incorporate building design and the
'Building Sector'. He is the founder of
Architecture 2030, an innovative and flexible
research organization focused on protecting our
global environment. He developed and issued the
2030 Challenge, a measured and achievable
strategy to dramatically reduce global GHG
emissions and fossil-fuel consumption by the year
2030. He speaks nationally and internationally on
the subject of architecture, design, energy and
climate change and has taught architecture at
several universities including the University of
New Mexico, University of Oregon and UCLA. His
numerous awards include AIA Design Awards, AIA
Design Innovation Award, American Planning
Association Award, Department of Energy Awards,
"Pioneer Award" from the American Solar Energy
Society, first recipient of the Equinox Award
presented on the 50th anniversary of construction
of the world's first commercial solar building,
and most recently a 2008 National Conservation
Achievement Award from the National Wildlife
Federation. He is a fellow of the Design Futures
Council.

HOW TO ORDER tickets

https://artsandlectures.sa.ucsb.edu/TicketOffice.aspx
Online
Login or Create a new account to purchase tickets online.

In Person
Our hours are Monday-Friday, 10 am-5 pm. We are
open until showtime on event nights. Our ticket
office opens at performance venues one hour
before curtain. We open at noon on weekend
performance days, unless the performance is sold
out. The Arts & Lectures Ticket Office is located
on the UCSB campus in Building 402 adjacent to
Campbell Hall. Enter Parking Lot 12 off Mesa Road
and look for our sign. There are parking meters
in front of the Ticket Office (quarter required).
By Phone
(805) 893-3535
By Fax
(805) 893-8637
By Mail
Send your order with a check made payable to U.C.
Regents or you Visa or Mastercard number,
expiration date and signature to:
Arts & Lectures
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5030
We accept cash, checks payable to U.C. Regents,
VISA and MasterCard. There is no service charge
when tickets are purchased in person. There is a
$5 service charge for orders placed online, by
phone or fax; there is a $2 service charge for a
film or lecture costing $15 or less when placed
online, by phone or fax.

The TH Interview: Edward Mazria, the Man from 2030
by Jacob Gordon, Nashville, TN on 02.23.08
TREEHUGGER RADIO
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/02/the_th_intervie_32.php

Architect Edward Mazria was one of the first to
draw major attention to the source that emits
almost half of all greenhouse gas emissions: our
buildings. Architecture 2030 has been his vehicle
for communicating a design logic based on
stemming the carbon footprint of the built
environment, and his widely adopted 2030
Challenge has laid a strategy for rendering those
buildings carbon neutral. Mazria was featured on
PBS's e2 series on sustainable design, and his
2010 Imperative is a call to teach ecological
literacy to the fledgling designers of the world.
::TreeHugger Radio
Listen to the podcast of this interview via
iTunes, or just listen/right-click to download.
(Thanks to Calabash Music for our soundtrack.)
Full text after the jump.

TreeHugger: You've been calling for a lot more
focus on climate solutions within design schools.
What needs to change and how do you see that
manifesting?
Ed Mazria: Well, in essence, climate change has
really just come on the scene in full force in
the last year. The years prior it's been
understood, and many people were talking about
it, but it hadn't blasted onto the scene the way
it has now. Now, it's front page news all the
time because we're beginning to see some of the
effects of climate change.
The schools have not kept up with the news and
the situation that we have today. We're going to
need students coming out of school that can
address the issue. We know, for example, that the
building sector is a major part of the global
warming problem. So we're going to need to design
our buildings very, very differently from now on
out.
So when students come out of school and they go
into to the profession, especially the design or
architecture professions-planning, landscape
architecture, interior design, industrial
design-they need to have a keen understanding of
what the issues are and how to solve the problem
within that sector. So the designs have to be
appropriate really for today's situation.

TH: You yourself, of course, are an architect but
some of your talks make you sound like a
climatologist. Is climate science something that
architects need to now grasp?
EM: I think so. I think climate science needs to
be understood by everyone. I think it's now
becoming part of the conversation and people
really need to understand what it means and what
it means for them. Because everyone has a role to
play. Some more than others, but everyone has a
role to play in addressing the situation.
We understand that in the building sector we have
a major role to play. So we need to, for example,
not only change the profession and change the
schools, but we need to change the people who ask
for buildings to be designed and built. So
there's a lot that we need to do to educate all
sorts of people about what's going on.

TH: A lot of people really credit you with
bringing to public attention in recent years the
climate impact of the built environment. So in
the simplest terms, how do you define the carbon
footprint of buildings?
EM: Well, you need to look at two parts of
buildings. There are actually many parts, but
these are the two primary parts. The first is
building a building and all the energy and
greenhouse gas emissions that occur when you
manufacture and transport the materials, and when
you actually build the building.
So this is what we call the embodied energy
component, or the greenhouse gas emissions
component, of constructing a building.
The other part of a building is building
operations. Now, that is a much larger number.
Because once you build the building, it then
stands for 25, 50, 75, sometimes 100 years or
more. So over its lifetime, in order to operate
the building-heating, lighting, cooling, running
machinery, the plug load, heating hot water, for
example-there are all sorts of building
operations and they all consume energy and they
all give off greenhouse gas emissions.
So the major portion of greenhouse gas emission
is attributed to the building sector's building
operations. Another percentage-a much, much
smaller percentage-is the embodied energy of
building the building and the greenhouse gas
emissions.

TH: When you look at the entire pie that
represents carbon emissions, how big a slice does
the build environment constitute?
EM: Well, the built environment, it's pretty much
everything. But if we say just buildings, about
48% of total energy consumption in this country
is attributed to buildings. Forty percent on an
annual basis is attributed to building
operations; 8% is attributed to building the
buildings, what I talked about as embodied energy.
So that's just buildings. Then you have
transportation; so you have air, rail, auto, and
bus, and part of that is attributed to what we'd
call the built environment, how you lay out the
building plan, so you can affect that part also.
It's only three sectors: building, industry, and
transportation. And so the build environment
consists of all those three.
But the building sector, the designers, also have
huge influence on the industrial sector, on the
types of materials that they manufacture and
whether those materials have high embodied energy
or low embodied energy and, therefore, would cut
your greenhouse gas emissions.
And you're now seeing programs and instruments in
the hands of designers that actually now let them
see that. Let's just take carpet, for example.
There are so many different carpet products, and
there are programs now that let you look at all
the different types of carpet and see what the
greenhouse gas emissions are for the manufacture
of these different types of carpet. Or different
types of flooring, or different types of paint,
or different types of gypsum board, or other
types of board. Different types of woods, things
like that.
So those tools are now making their way into the
profession, and architects are beginning to use
them.

TH: The 2030 Challenge is your creation. Tell us about that.
EM: It's a global challenge that we publicly
issued in January of 2006. We basically worked
backward and said: what are the reductions we
need by 2050, then what are the reductions we
need in the building sector by that time, and
then we worked back to the present day.
So the first thing we need to do is level out
emissions. The building sector's emissions are
growing annually and energy consumption is
growing annually, because we add more buildings
to our building stock every year and our
population grows. So the first thing we wanted to
do was to stop emissions and energy consumption
growth, especially fossil fuel energy consumption
growth.
So we looked at the numbers: how many square feet
are demolished in this country every year, how
many square feet are renovated every year, and
then how many square feet are built new every
year. And what we discovered was that we renovate
just about as much square footage as we build new
in this country.
So, what we said is, if we renovate a building,
we tighten it up and make it more efficient, and
we reduce its consumption by 50%, then we've made
room for new buildings.
Then if new buildings are 50% lower than the
average for each building type, then we've
basically leveled out the curve, because we make
room, with renovation, for new buildings. We cut
down their energy consumption to make room for
the energy consumption of newer buildings.
And so that's how the first phase of the 2030
Challenge works. What it calls for is a 50%
reduction in fossil-fuel energy for all new
buildings and major renovations below the
regional average for that building. So that
flattens the curve out.
In order to bend the curve down, what we've done
is we've increased the reduction by 10% every
five years so that, by the year 2030, we get to
zero, to what we term "carbon neutral." Which
means that any new building designed in the year
2030 would be designed to use no greenhouse
gas-emitting energy to operate. That doesn't mean
the buildings don't use energy to operate, they
just don't use greenhouse gas-emitting energy.
And that's why we termed it the 2030 Challenge.

TreeHugger: People are always saying that there's
no silver bullet when it comes to the climate
crisis. But you say that there is a silver bullet.
Edward Mazria: Absolutely. There's absolutely a
silver bullet. I think what has happened is that
we look for lots of different ways to address a
situation so that we can involve as many people
as we can. And in a sense, that's a good thing.
But, depending upon how you look at the problem,
you can then find different solutions. And so how
you define the problem determines the range of
solutions.
Well, we began to take a look at the problem a
slightly different way, so we came up with a
silver bullet, and we think it works. And we
think now that scientists are actually calling
for that and saying that it's 80% of the
solution, which means, in essence, it's a silver
bullet.
And what we found was this: we're peaking in oil
now. In this country, we peaked in oil production
in 1970. And we peaked in natural gas production
in 1973 in this country. So we have to import
more and more oil and gas as we increase our
consumption every year, as the country grows and
we add more people and more buildings. So we
increase our consumption of those fuels.
Globally, we're peaking in oil right about now.
Some people say we peaked last year. Some people
say we're going to peak in six months. But we're
right around the peak. What happens after the
peak is that production declines, therefore
consumption declines, therefore the price goes
up. And we're beginning to see that happen now.
And the further you get away from the peak, the
more expensive the commodity becomes and the less
and less you use.
So, if you look at all the proven oil and gas
reserves left in the world, you begin to
understand that you're not going to use all that
up, first of all, because it just going to become
too expensive once you get over the peak. And
once those fuels become more expensive,
alternatives begin to look economically more
feasible and a lot more attractive. And so you
begin to move toward alternatives very, very
quickly as the price goes up and up and up. And
the faster it goes up, the more quickly you look
at alternatives. And you can see that now in the
transportation sector, because of oil.
So in essence, you don't use up all that you have
left because at some point it just becomes too
expensive, the alternatives are just a lot more
attractive. So when you look at it that way, you
see that oil and gas can't really push us past
the threshold of 450 parts per million of carbon
dioxide in the atmosphere. Those two fuels can't
get us there.
There are only three fossil fuels. What's the
fossil fuel that will put us over? Well, there's
coal. And we have plenty of it in this world. And
we're moving to coal, and it's a really dirty
fuel.
Coal by itself will push us way past a thousand
parts per million. It has a capacity to really
push the planet in that direction. Now, coal is
very cheap and so there's an economic incentive
to move toward it-especially if you're in a
recession as we are right now-but that
exacerbates the situation.
You have now the coal companies playing ads on
primetime TV every night; they have a $50 million
campaign going on right now to convince the
American public that coal is clean. They don't
tell you how it's clean or why it's clean or
anything else, they just put out these warm and
fuzzy ads that talk about clean coal and how
inexpensive it is and how we should adopt it.
They're saying nothing about climate change.
In essence, there really isn't any clean coal. So
it's a disinformation or misinformation campaign
on the part of the coal companies.
So if you stop coal, then you have basically
leveled greenhouse gas emissions in this country
and globally. We need a global moratorium on
coal, then we need to phase out all dirty coal
plants. So if you can't fuel global warming with
oil and gas, and you get a moratorium on coal
(which is the silver bullet) you don't get to the
point of 450 parts per million and you can begin
to actually reduce carbon dioxide emissions
globally. So in essence, it's a silver bullet.
Now, people point to the fact that we have oil
shale and tar sands, and those are unconventional
fossil fuels. The problem with that is: to
extract those two commodities requires a cheap
energy source, because you have to put quite a
bit of energy in to get a little bit more energy
out.
So if you take cheap coal out of the picture
altogether-you call a moratorium on coal-you
have, in essence, made it very, very difficult to
go to those other two sources.

TH: You spoke a second ago about the coal
industry and the efforts that they're making to
sell people on the clean coal thing. Architecture
2030 has taken out some ads lately in the New
York Times and elsewhere, and the one that really
stuck out to me where you list some of these
major corporate sustainability initiatives and
then juxtapose them against the impact of coal
power.
The first one on the list says: "Home Depot is
funding the planting 300,000 trees in cities
across the US to help absorb carbon dioxide."
Then, to put that in perspective: "the CO2
emissions from only one medium-sized coal-fired
plant in just 10 days of operation will negate
this entire effort." That's pretty humbling. What
sort of response have you gotten since running
this ad?
EM: Well, people are amazed. They didn't
understand the power to pollute that coal has. So
for example, the 300,000 trees: Home Depot's
spending over $1 million and they want to up it
to 3,000,000 trees.
Now, they're doing this for a number of reasons.
One is to beautify cities, to provide shade, or
create better microclimate conditions, create a
nicer environment. But part of it is also to
sequester carbon. What a tree does is as it grows
is it soaks up carbon dioxide and stores it in
its fabric, in its wood. The negating of this
effort is negating the 300,000 trees over their
100-year lifetime. That's the power of putting
out the CO2 from that power plant.
It also says is that it's going to be very hard
for us to plant our way out of the situation-you
just can't do it. You just can't plant enough to
absorb more than a very small fraction of what we
put out and produce in terms of carbon dioxide
annually. So it really is going to take a
moratorium on coal. That is the silver bullet.
What's interesting about that is it's something
people can rally around. It's not some kind of
amorphous, hundred-thousand item smorgasbord of
activities. It's something you can define, it's
something you can get behind, and it's something
you can call for. And once the numbers get large
enough, then that action will happen, especially
in a democracy.
So it's critical that we get that word out,
because the more numbers we have, the quicker we
can get the job done.

TH: The U.S. Green Building Council's LEED
standards have become the benchmark for what a
green building is. At the recent Greenbuild
Conference in Chicago there was a lot of talk
about the fact that LEED buildings aren't very
good to performing the way they're predicted to.
Are the LEED standards getting us where we need
to go as far as buildings?
EM: Right now, no. But they're moving in the
right direction, and they have adopted the 2030
targets. If you look at the actual energy
consumption and LEED certification, you have
different values of LEED certification.
Everything from just basic certification up
through Silver and Gold and Platinum.
The Platinum buildings perform within the targets
set by the 2030 challenge. Some of the Gold
buildings do and some don't; and very, very few
of the Silver buildings do. And then among those
that are certified, you don't get very many that
do. But recently, the USGBC adopted the 2030
targets and they're now working to incorporate
the targets in LEED certification.
So that is a very, very positive move because the
USGBC was one of the first organizations to bring
awareness and, in a sense, they coined the phrase
"green building." And so they have a huge role to
play in alleviating the building sector's role
and actually turning it around and making it part
of the solution to global warming and climate
change. And I think they're moving to do that now.

TH: Where do you see the most encouraging signs?
What can you point at and say, there! There is
what we need to see more of?
EM: Well, there are two sides to the coin: there
is the supply side and demand side. Coal is the
supply side. So we call for moratorium on
coal-that's the silver bullet. The demand side is
the 2030 challenge. You reduce demand, you don't
need the coal. So you need to work those two in
tandem.
What gives me tremendous hope at this point is
that on the demand side, the 2030 challenge is
spreading like wildfire. In fact, the federal
government, in the latest energy bill that was
just passed and signed into law, requires all
federal buildings to meet the 2030 challenge
targets.
So the feds now have taken it on. That puts the
resources of the federal government behind
creating the technologies, the information, to
meet the targets, and so that is a very, very
important step. So in that sense, the demand side
is very, very encouraging.
You get cities and states now signing on to the
2030 challenge targets. Santa Barbara was the
first city that actually enact it into code.
California Energy Commission adopted it, the city
of Richmond, Virginia adopted it, most
professional organizations have adopted it.

On the supply side we had, up until a month ago,
about 151 new coal plants in various stages of
development in the U.S.; conventional dirty coal
plants. About 50 of them have been knocked out
already. So about a third of the coal plants that
were going to be built-that were in various
stages of development in the US-are now not being
built. You see Governor Crist in Florida: no coal
for his state. In California they are saying,
'we're not going to import any more coal.'
So you see things happening across the country
that are heartening, and word is now getting out.
That's why you see the coal companies on a $50
million campaign to convince the American public
that coal is somehow clean. They wouldn't be
doing this unless there was tremendous pressure
not to build these dirty coal plants.
If we build the coal plants we just don't have a
chance. The power of coal is just so great in
terms of the emissions each one of these things
puts off that no matter what else you do, you
can't negate it.
We also see many states and governors, for
example, issuing executive orders saying, "we're
going to reduce our state's emission by X-amount
by this date." Well, you go with coal in that
state you'll never make it.
Another thing that has to get across to the
investment sector is that not only do we need a
moratorium, but we are going to need to phase out
all these dirty coal plants. The investment
community must understand that if they put money
into building a plant, it may be shut down in a
short period of time. That's a risk that they're
going to have to take if they want to put their
money in that basket.