[Scpg] Carolyn Baker's review of "The Transition Handbook"

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Mon Jan 5 08:44:07 PST 2009

From: _carolyn at carolynbakecarol_ (mailto:carolyn at carolynbaker.net)
Subject: THE TRANSITION HANDBOOK: Embracing  Reality and Resilience, By
Carolyn Baker

  _http://carolynbakerhttp_ (http://carolynbaker.net/)

THE  TRANSITION TOWN MOVEMENT: EMBRACING REALITY AND RESILIENCE, By  Carolyn
Baker
(http://carolynbaker.net/site/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=919&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=1#)     Sunday, 04  January 2009
For several  months I have been meaning to write a review of Rob Hopkins' The
 Transition Handbook: From Oil Dependency to Local Resilience,  but other
things got in the way-like a planetary economic meltdown  and out of control
climate change that exceeds some of the most dire  predictions by climate
scientists. I should have spoken out earlier  in support of this movement, but I
didn't. Now, as we commence this  new year, I am.
I will begin this  book "review" by telling you that I find
nothing-absolutely nothing  wrong with The Transition Handbook. If that then makes this
article into a commercial for the book instead of a review, so be  it.
For nearly a year  I have been emphasizing in my writing that a positive
vision must be  held in consciousness alongside all of the abysmal events
unfolding  around us. Even as I have been insistent on staring down the  collapse of
civilization, I have embraced at the same time, what  could be and have held in
my mind and heart the  threads of the new paradigm that so many of us are
working to  create.
Thus it has been  with great pleasure and relief that I have looked deeply
into the  Transition Town movement and found it to exemplify everything that I
believe comprises effective relocalization and the shaping of  alternative
economies and vibrant communities. Not only am I in awe  of what the people of
Totnes, the first Transition Town in the U.K.,  have accomplished, but more so,
that the Transition Town model has  become contagious and is spreading to a
variety of places throughout  the world, in the United States, and closer to my
own local  community here in Vermont. I'm additionally pleased that the
Transition Handbook is now being distributed here in the  U.S. by a Vermont
publisher, Chelsea Green.
The Transition  Town movement is all about preparing for energy descent and
climate  change and addressing the relationship between the two by  essentially
viewing them as two different aspects of the same  problem. James Howard of
_Powerswitch_ (http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/)  in the U.K.  states:
Peak Oil and  Climate Change are a bigger threat together than either are
alone.  Our biggest hope is to similarly converge our understanding of them,  and
how to deal with the problems they present. Peak Oil and Climate  Change must
be fused as issues-an approach is needed to deal with  them as a package. If
we are looking for answers, the environmental  movement has pushed suitable
ones for a long time. Peak Oil presents  a tremendous chance to push those
solutions ahead; failure to  incorporate a full understanding of Peak Oil into the
solutions  argument for Climate Change would be an abject  failure.(38)
Fundamental to  the Transition Town movement is the notion of resilience. It
is  defined in the Transition Handbook as "the capacity of a  system to absorb
disturbance and reorganize while undergoing change,  so as to still retain
essentially the same function, structure,  identity, and feedbacks." (54) In
other words, resilience does not  mean putting a fence around one's community,
refusing to allow  anything in or out. It means "being more prepared for a
leaner  future, more self-reliant, and prioritizing the local over the  imported."
(55)
Three  requirements for a resilient system are: Diversity, Modularity, and
Tightness of Feedbacks. Diversity simply refers to the number of  elements in
the system-people, species, businesses, institutions,  and sources of food.
What matters is not so much the number of any  of these entities but the
connections between them and the diversity  of responses to challenges, the diversity
of land use, and the  diversity between systems. Not only does an analysis of
the  diversity of the place make top-down approaches redundant, but it
reinforces the wisdom of "working on small changes to lots of niches  in the place,
making lots of small interventions rather than a few  large ones." (55)
Modularity of a  structure refers to the parts of the system that can
re-organize in  the event of a shock. It is a key facet of designing an
energy-descent plan because the more modularity, the less  vulnerability to disruptions in
wider networks. As the  Transition Handbook states: Local food systems, local
 investment models, and so on, all add to this modularity, meaning  that we
engage with the wider world but from an ethic of networking  and information
sharing rather than of mutual dependence."  (56)
Tightness of  feedbacks analyzes how quickly and strongly one part of the
system  can respond to changes in another part. Globalization and national
systems can weaken feedbacks, whereas in localized systems, the  results of our
actions are more obvious and allow the community to  bring the consequences of
its actions closer to home. (56)
In summary, it is  possible that a future with less oil could be more
positive than the  current addiction to fossil fuels, but only, says the Transition
Handbook, "if we engage in designing this transition with  sufficient
creativity and imagination" which is indeed what the  handbook is all about.
The format of  this mini-workbook sized manual is extremely appealing. It is
printed on heavy recycled paper, designed with simple, natural color  tones,
and is chock-full of exceedingly practical group exercises  for clarifying and
practicing its principles.
To its credit,  this book does not sugar-coat the daunting reality of Peak
Oil and  Climate Change, but rather, offers a positive vision of preparation
and myriad practical steps for manifesting it. An entire chapter is  devoted to
the somewhat paralyzing terror of everyone's "_End of  Suburbia_
(http://www.endofsuburbia.com/) " moment and the resulting "post-petroleum  stress
disorder", but also emphasizes that alongside that epiphany,  we must cherish not only
a positive vision, but one that we can  realistically and pragmatically
implement.
A fabulous  chapter in the middle of the book on the "Psychology of Change"
underscores how change happens and how we tend to proceed through it
emotionally, emphasizing that "change doesn't happen all at once.  Rather it occurs in
increments or stages." (85) The various stages  of change are explored, with
emphasis on their characteristics and  what may be helpful to move people on
to the next stage of the  process. Some aspects of addiction diagnosis and
treatment are  utilized in order to address the depths to which most people in the
 developed world are addicted to the fossil  fuel/consumption-A fabulous
chapter in the middle of the book on the "Psychology of Change"  underscores how
change happens and how we tend to proceed through it  emotionally, emphasizing
that "change doesn't happen all at once.  Rather it occurs in increments or
stages." (85) The various stages  of change are explored, with emphasis on
their characteristics and
At the core of  the Transition Town movement is the Transition Initiative
which is  an "emerging and evolving approach to community-level
sustainability"At the core of  the Transition Town movement is the Transition Initiative which
is  an "emerging and evolving approach to co
•1.     That life  with dramatically lower energy consumption is inevitable,
and that  it's better to plan for it than to be taken by surprise.
•2.     That our  settlements and communities presently lack the resilience
to enable  them to weather the severe energy shocks that will accompany Peak
Oil
•3.     That we have  to act collectively, and we have to act now
•4.     That by  unleashing the collective genius of those around us to
creatively  and proactively design our energy descent, we can build ways of  living
that are more connected, more enriching and that recognize  the biological
limits of our planet. (134)
At the core of  the Transition concept is permaculture, which while difficult
to  explain in one sentence, is essentially a design template for  assembling
the various components of any community-social, economic,  cultural, and
technical in the most efficient way possible. (137)  The 12 Principles of
Permaculture, established by its founder David  Holmgren, are explained, and examples
are given regarding how they  have become the foundation of Transition Towns
throughout the world.  How the principles will be implemented-tural, and
technical in the most efficient way possible. (137)  The 12 Principles of
Permaculture, established by its founder David  Holmgren, are explained, and examples
are given regarding how they  have become the foundation of Transition Towns
throughout the world.  How the principles will be implemented-<WBR>in fact how
any aspect
An entire chapter  is devoted to how to start a Transition initiative, and
although not  directly related to the addiction to a fossil fuel lifestyle,
Twelve  Steps of Transition are offered. The most impressive of these for me  is
the first one: "Set up a steering group and design its demise  from the
outset." What a relief! No chance of this group becoming an  entrenched,
hierarchical, power-driven monster; no chance of success  unless the entire community is
engaged and becomes more effective in  bringing about transition than is the
steering group; no need for  one or two individuals alone to try to save the
world.
The last half of  the book is primarily devoted to an analysis of the first
year of  transition in Totnes and some of the practical manifestations of
transition there. And finally, the book concludes with the "viral  spread" of the
Transition Town concept throughout the world. An  extensive appendix includes
a generous offering of further  exercises, forms, questionnaires, and an
energy descent action plan.
How does a  Transition Town know if it has become resilient? What is the
measure  of viable transition? Here are a few resilience indicators:
    *   The percentage  of local trade carried out in local currency
    *   The percentage  of food consumed locally that was produced within a
given  radius
    *   The ratio of  car parking space to productive land use
    *   Degree of  engagement in practical transition work by the local
community
    *   Amount of  traffic on local roads
    *   Number of  businesses owned by local people
    *   Proportion of  the community employed locally
    *   Percentage of  essential goods manufactured within a given radius
    *   Percentage of  local building materials used in new housing
development
    *   Percentage of  energy consumed in the town
    *   Amount of  sixteen year-olds able to grow 10 different varieties of
vegetables to a given degree of competency
    *   Percentage of  medicines prescribed locally that have been produced
within a  given radius.
Are these not the  most axiomatic of preparations for Peak Oil and Climate
Change? The  Transition Handbook offers both stunning inspiration and an
assortment of ingenious, yet commonsensical tools, for actualizing  the concept of
relocalization.
The  Handbook concludes with these remarkably uplifting  words:
While Peak  Oil and Climate Change are understandably profoundly challenging,
 also inherent within them is the potential for an economic,  cultural, and
social renaissance the likes of which we have never  seen. We will see a
flourishing of local businesses, local skills  and solutions, and a flowering of
ingenuity and creativity. It is a  Transition in which we will inevitably grow,
and in which our  evolution is a precondition for progress. Emerging at the
other end,  we will not be the same as we were: we will have become more humble,
more connected to the natural world, fitter, leaner, more skilled,  and
ultimately, wiser.
With all my  heart, I want to support Transition Towns in my community and
around  the world with the hope that their implementations are not too  little,
too late. Yet, even if they are, I cannot think of a better  place to direct
one's energy, time, and passion--regardless of  outcome, as we navigate with
realism and resilience, the collapse of  civilization.   ________________