[Scpg] Mapping California Communities Workshop

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Fri Jan 30 11:36:30 PST 2009

Mapping California Communities Workshop: An Introduction to GIS &
Community Analysis

Los Angeles: March 5th and 6th, 2009*
ExecuTrain of Los Angeles - 9841 Airport Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90045

Sacramento: March 5th and 6th, 2009*
ExecuTrain of Sacramento - 1860 Howe Ave., Ste 250 Sacramento, CA 95816

San Jose/Santa Clara: March 11th, 2009
ExecuTrain of Santa Clara - 2005 De La Cruz Blvd, Suite 200 Santa
Clara, CA 95050

Orange/Irvine: March 12th and 13th, 2009*
QuickStart Training Center - 16815 Von Karman Avenue, Suite 100,
Irvine, CA 92606

Fresno: March 13th, 2009
Heald College - 255 W Bullard Ave Fresno, CA 93704

San Diego: March 18th, 2009
Technical Training Resources - 6920 Miramar Road, Suite 105 San
Diego, CA 92121

San Francisco: March 19th and 20th, 2009*
ExecuTrain of San Francisco- 101 Spear Street/One Rincon Center,
Suite 245 San Francisco, CA 94105

*Note: These are one day workshops (8:30am - 4:30pm). Participants
choose which one day to attend.

More Info/Registration:
<http://stats.images11.com/sendlink.asp?HitID=1233252707133&StID=15089&SID=0&NID=151676&EmID=8031920&Link=aHR0cDovL3d3dy51cmJhbi1yZXNlYXJjaC5pbmZvL3dvcmtzaG9wcy9jYWxpZm9ybmlhLWdpcy5odG0%3D>http://www.urban-research.info/workshops/california-gis.htm

Audience: Beginners, anyone interested in mapping their community

Participants will learn to use ArcGIS 9.3 to do the following:

Create thematic maps
Participants will learn to create thematic maps of their own data,
and display spatial trends in information.

Address mapping (geocoding)
Participants will learn to map addresses of their clients, their
projects or incidents such as crime and disease.

Download and Map Census & American Community Survey Data
Participants will learn to extract and map current Census data such
as poverty, race, language, population, transportation, education and
workforce characteristics.

Participants will also learn to:
Conduct spatial queries
Download free shapefiles
Create well-designed maps

Mapping techniques transferable to all other communities. Exercises
are designed for beginners. Intermediate Excel skills required.

Materials
+ Comprehensive workbook (75 pages), which includes the presentation,
exercises and reference worksheets,

+ ArcGIS (ArcView 9.3) software 60-day trial CD set,

+ Thirty day free access to new 2005 Tiger/Line geography files
(converted to shapefiles) which include streets, zip codes, school
districts, voting districts, census tracts and many other useful geographies

+ Thirty day free access to our Analyzing Your Community: Local
Demographic Analysis Online Workshop

----------
What People Are Saying about New Urban Research Workshops -

City of San Francisco: "One of the best computer training courses
I've been to, lively, informative, good level of difficulty for
target audience."

California Cancer Registry: "The workshop was great! The instructor
is very knowledgeable and helpful. I would definitely recommend this
course to a new GIS user."

UCLA: "This was such a great course! I appreciated the information on
where to find useful data."

Fresno City College: "This workshop was very informative and
enlightening. It demonstrated very powerful tools and concepts that I
will definitely be using in the future. The instructor was patient
and gave a lot of technical insight to the product."

----------
New Urban Research, Inc. is a national social research organization
specializing in quantitative and spatial community analysis. NUR is
an ESRI Business Partner. New Urban Research, Inc. 2301 NW Thurman
Street, Suite S, Portland, Oregon 97210 | 877.241.6576 |
<http://stats.images11.com/sendlink.asp?HitID=1233252707133&StID=15089&SID=0&NID=151676&EmID=8031920&Link=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXd1cmJhbnJlc2VhcmNoLm9yZy8%3D>www.newurbanresearch.org

This mailing system may only be used for sending permission based email.
If you did not give permission to receive emails from this sender,
<http://stats.images11.com/reportabuse.aspx?stid=15089&hitid=1233252707133&sec=151676&email=sbpcnet@silcom.com&EmID=8031920&SID=0>please
notify us.

This email was sent to sbpcnet at silcom.com by
gclemmer at newurbanresearch.org |
<http://stats.images11.com/ExportNewsletterToPdf.aspx?SD=15089&SID=0&ND=151676&EA=sbpcnet@silcom.com&ED=8031920&hitid=1233252707133>Print
/ PDF version | Read our
<http://stats.images11.com/privacy.asp?stid=15089&hitid=1233252707133&sec=151676&email=sbpcnet@silcom.com&EmID=8031920&SID=0>Privacy
Policy.
New Urban Research - 3323 NE 33rd Ave, Portland, OR, 97212, United States

01/29/09 17:57:00

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org