[Scpg] Gopher Stopper Clover -- a nitrogen fixer that deters gophers!

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Fri Feb 13 12:36:07 PST 2009

Last night at the meeting of the Santa Barbara Rose Society, we had a
speaker from Rincon-Vitova who shared a lot of info on beneficial insects and  other
organic methods.

One I thought people might be especially interested in is Gopher Stopper
Clover (Melilotus indica or sourclover) which can be ordered from  Rincon-Vitova.
 It's a winter-annual legume in Calif and flowers April -  October.  Contains
coumarin, which is toxic to rodents (and livestock, if  you happen to have
any -- so care is required).

It's definitely what permaculturists call a "stacking" plant - multiple
functions.  It has been used as a green manure and cover crop in citrus and  other
orchards.  It improve heavy soils because of its deep roots and  increases
the water-holding capacity of all soils.

Rincon-Vitova is at _www.rinconvitova.com_ (http://www.rinconvitova.com)

Linda
now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000002)