[Scpg] Fire control, green orchard belts

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Tue Feb 24 08:22:18 PST 2009

Hi Geoff,

I wonder if controlled burns are really cheaper in the long run than
water-thrifty orcharding?  There are costs involved with regular burning --  fire
personnel and sometimes even chemicals too.  And what is the  "yield"?  A lot of
lung-unfriendly smoke and ash.

I'm guessing you may not be convinced that water-thrifty orcharding is a
real possibility, but I assure you it is!  Shaping the land to retain  water,
opening the soil with non-destructive keyline plowing, using edible,  deep-rooted
underplantings and living mulches, harvesting all available  water in various
ways -- these techniques all help the soil absorb water  deeply during rain
season. This is all being done now both locally and in other  locations and can
be done more widely here in Santa Barbara.  And what is  the "yield" of an
orchard belt to the citizens of Santa Barbara? A secure food  supply, beauty,
climate mitigation, erosion control, fire protection, bee  nectar and more...

I think as we reshape our economies towards sustainability we're going to
need to adjust our interpretation of costs and profit.  Truly sustainable
solutions are often slower and gentler than the "solutions" we've been  using
without counting their true costs and genuine yields.

It's great that we're having this discussion of possible solutions for  such
important local challenges as fire danger and water shortages!

Linda

In a message dated 2/24/2009 8:02:17 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, Avoman202