[Scpg] SWAN SONG FOR THE LAWN WORKSHOP IN OJAI WITH LARRY SANTOYO

Rachel Dawson pathofservice at ojaifoundation.org
Thu Mar 12 11:00:45 PDT 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
CONTACT: PAT ALLEN
805-646-4870
patallen8 at comcast.net

*SWAN SONG FOR THE LAWN WORKSHOP WITH LARRY SANTOYO*
**
Looking for something green for St. Patrick’s Day? How about rolling up your
sleeves and transforming a water-guzzling lawn into a garden paradise with
spiral paths, edible plants and bee and butterfly attracting flowers? That’s
what Ojai resident Pat Allen will be doing to her front lawn on Tuesday and
Wednesday, March 17 & 18 and you can join her! For $50 you can get dirty,
have lunch and learn the basic principles of permaculture and sustainability
with one of the West coast’s leading professionals.
Larry Santoyo is a nationally and internationally renown permaculture
teacher based in San Luis Obispo where he heads Earthflow Design Works, a
consortium of sustainability professionals http://www.earthflow.com. With
over twenty years experience in ecological land use, planning and design
Santoyo is passionate about replacing lawns with gardens. According to
Santoyo, “Lawns cover more than 50,000 square miles of American soil and
consume more fertilizer, pesticide and herbicide than all chemicals used in
food related agriculture” (HopeDance #71, Jan/Feb 2009).

Urgent calls to reduce consumer water use make headlines daily and farmers
are concerned that sufficient water for crops is becoming increasingly
scarce. Replacing lawns with gardens makes sense from any angle. Whether
you’re a homeowner tired of mowing grass and paying huge water bills, a
foodie who wants to grown her own kale, or a concerned citizen who wants to
learn more, this workshop will expand your knowledge and skills.

FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REGISTER CONTACT:
PAT ALLEN (805) 646-4870 or patallen8 at comcast.net

--
"If there is any positive side to stark changes coming our way, it may be in
the benefits of close communal relations, of having to really work

Years from now, when we hear singing at all, we will hear ourselves, and we
will sing with our whole hearts."

"The Long Emergency", 2005, by James Howard Kunstler, Grove/Atlantic, Inc.,
publisher.