[Scpg] Thurs Apr 9 "Organizing our Neighborhoods for Life After Oil" (free)

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Thu Mar 19 11:05:05 PDT 2009

Hello Fellow Transitioners, Garden Club Members, Food enthusiasts and
Permaculturists,

At 7 pm on Thursday, April 9th at the Santa Barbara Natural History Museum,
I have been asked to be part of a group speaking on "Organizing our
Neighborhoods for Life After Oil" and will talk about how Transition Town Santa
Barbara is working on that.  Also speaking will be architects John Kelley  and
Dennis Thompson who will talk about their efforts towards community  sustainability
in Santa Barbara's Mesa neighborhood.

This FREE event has been organized as part of the "Life After Oil" series
(see below for info on all three evenings) organized by the Community
Environmental Council and sponsored by The Sustainability Project and California
Central Coast Chapter. Event partners include the Santa Barbara Permaculture
Network, Quail Springs, COAST, GOO, SB Bicycle Coalition, SB Food Not Lawns, the
Environmental Defense Center, the Mesa Paper and Fess Parker's Double Tree
Resort.

Hope to see you there!

Linda Buzzell-Saltzman

Life After Oil lecture series

What will a post-oil world look like? Learn how everyday people  are coming
together to develop a new, more resilient energy economy.
Thursday, March 26, Why Do We Need to Think Beyond Oil?
Cost: Free
Speaker: Michael Brune is Executive Director of Rainforest Action  Network
(RAN) and a founding board member of Oil Change International, an  organization
dedicated to dissolving the political barriers to a clean  energy transition.
His recent book Coming Clean: Breaking America's  Addiction to Oil and Coal
explores the costs of oil dependency, the role  played by politics and finance,
and the possibilities for a post-oil  economy.
Speaker: Dave Davis is Executive Director of the Community  Environmental
Council (CEC), whose Fossil Free by ’33 campaign is designed  to move our region
toward more efficient and renewable forms of energy in  one generation
(www.CECSB.org).
Thursday, April 2, Organizing our Communities for Life After Oil
Cost: Free
Speaker: Rick Cole, Ventura City Manager has been called "one of  Southern
California's most visionary planning thinkers" by the Los Angeles  Times and has
made Smart Growth a priority for his region. The recent  report, Post Peak
Oil Vision Plan for Ventura, outlines how conserving  natural resources such
water and energy – and designing homes,  transportation systems and communities
to be more efficient with energy  use – can protect a community from potential
disruptions in energy  supplies (oil shocks).
Thursday, April 9, Organizing our Neighborhoods for Life After Oil
Cost: Free
Speakers: John Kelley and Dennis Thompson are local architects involved  with
a volunteer effort to increase self-sufficiency, community, and
sustainability in Santa Barbara’s Mesa neighborhood. In addition to  creating an
architectural vision of a "Mesa Village," community, leaders  in this neighborhood are
publishing a monthly newspaper, hosting  bi-monthly village meetings, and
organizing regular "Mesa Food Exchanges."
Speaker: Psychotherapist and ecotherapist Linda Buzzell-Saltzman, M.A.,
M.F.T. is a member of the Seeds Committee of Transition Town Santa Barbara  -- a
new local organization that is part of a global grassroots effort to  help
communities make the transition to post-fossil-fuel, sustainable  living.