[Scpg] This Sunday March 22: Watershed Crafting with Skip Schuckmann

Rachel Dawson pathofservice at ojaifoundation.org
Fri Mar 20 12:26:54 PDT 2009

Watershed Crafting

The Essence of Permaculture Design

With Skip Schuckmann

“It’s all about pathways and puddles!”

Learn the meaning of this riddle while exploring watershed dynamics at a
day-long workshop.  Hands-on activities, guided observations, lecture, and
discussion conducted by Skip Shuckmann, legendary artist, resource manager
and innovator.

Sunday, March 22

10:00 am to Sunset
The Ojai Foundation
$50 donation
Please r.s.v.p. to 805-646-8343

Please bring a bag lunch

Explore water’s flow through the land and through the culture by surveying
The Ojai Foundation’s varied topographies and majestic views.

-          Convene at the “Power Point” for an overview of watershed
dynamics

-           Proceed down the spine of the “Dragon’s Back” where water
divides and distributes among the organisms living in the valley

-          Follow its flow as it drains into the belly of the watershed.

-          Gather near roads and buildings to discuss the moral, legal and
social aspects of watershed management

Skip Schuckmann is currently working as an ecologically oriented land
sculptor in upstate New York and southern California.  His art practice is
site-specific and involves multiyear engagements with the hardscape,
biological materials, and owners of the sites.  These engagements have
combined his academic training in science and his professional activity as
an artist and educator.  Schuckmann holds a BA degree in wildlife biology
from Colorado State University (1967), and a Master of Arts in Teaching
(1972) in experiential education from the University of Massachusetts,
Amherst.  His formal educational engagements have involved experimental
programs at the Golden High School in Golden, Colorado; Woolman Hill School
in Deerfield, Massachusetts; The Ojai Foundation in Ojai, California; the
Randolph School in Wappingers, New York; and Oberlin College in Oberlin,
Ohio.

--
"If there is any positive side to stark changes coming our way, it may be in
the benefits of close communal relations, of having to really work

Years from now, when we hear singing at all, we will hear ourselves, and we
will sing with our whole hearts."

"The Long Emergency", 2005, by James Howard Kunstler, Grove/Atlantic, Inc.,
publisher.