[Scpg] Permaculture & AgroForestry Retreat in Maui

Living Mandala livingmandala at livingmandala.com
Sat Mar 28 00:09:47 PDT 2009

Hello Permie Friends,

Check out this amazing retreat in Maui with some veteran permaculture
instructors.

__________

Introduction to Permaculture &
Food Forest Agroforestry Workshop & Retreat in Maui

April 11-18, 2009
Maui, Hawaii
Hale Akua Garden Farm

Food Forest Agroforestry Workshop in Maui - April 14-18, 2009

Food, Fodder, Forage, Fuel, Fiber, Fungus, Fertility, Functional
Farmaceuticals, Fertility Focusing on Pacific Island Tropical and
Subtropical Forest Systems

For More Information Click Here

Facilitators & Instructors

Doug Bullock
Penny Livingston-Stark
John Valenzuala
additional special guests

Including

History & Theory
Forest Ecology
Windbreak & Micro-climate Design
Coppicing for fuel and building materials
Hawaiian Canoe Plants
Installation of a New Food Forest System
Care & Maintenance of Integrated Ecologically
Abundant Tropical Agroforestry Systems
Agro-Forestry Tours

Course Description

This exciting and informative 5-day training, hosted at the beautiful
Hale Akua Garden Farm, will include practical information and hands-on
training on how to design, plant, maintain and harvest the abundance
that a well planned agroforestry system can offer.

Agroforestry is an agricultural system that incorporates planting and
encouragement of trees on land where animals are raised or crops
grown. Tree planting can aid farmers and lands stewards by mitigating
soil erosion, sequestering water and  nutrients, providing wind breaks
and microclimates, moderating extreme temperatures, and providing
portential crop diversification.

For anyone traveling to Maui this is a great opportunity to stay on a
fabulous organic farm, with salt water pool, sweeping views, hot tubs,
yoga decks, and be in a restorative environment to learn and practice
the art of regenerative agriculture and permaculture. Three delicious
meals will be served featuring as much local produce as possible.

For locals this is a good opportunity to come and meet other like
minded people who share similar goals and values for learning ways to
provide for our needs while living in harmony and balance with the
earth. We can reduce and potentially eliminate the need for importing
produce from places like California. Our vision is to help this
training support the Farm Bureau’s Grown in Maui campaign that is
building momentum on the Island.

Introduction to Permaculture in Maui - April 11-12, 2009

Sharing a vision of how we can once again support modern culture to
live in balance and harmony with the Earth.

For More Information Click Here

Facilitators & Instructors

Penny Livingston-Stark
John Valenzuala
and special guests

Including

History of Theory Permaculture
Permaculture Principals
Design Methodology
Tour of Farm
Retreat  & Relaxation

Course Description

Permaculture (Permanent culture) is a design science, rooted in the
observation of nature that focuses on human settlements that have the
stability and resiliency of natural eco-systems. You are invited to
come stay at a beautiful organic farm with a salt water pool, sweeping
ocean views, hot tub, eat delicious food (as local as possible) and
learn the fundamentals of permaculture design. There is a growing
awareness that we need to come together to envision solutions to the
serious impact our industrial practices have had on the planet.  As we
face growing fuel shortages, economic downturn, potential ecological
collapse, permaculture offers practical strategies, techniques and
principals to create restorative human activities addressing  all
aspects of what we need to live in healthy and balanced way.

This 2-day workshop will provide an overview of the theory and
practice of permaculture design. Traditional Hawaiian practices as
well as other indigenous cultural relationship to land and culture
exemplify the best practices that a well designed permaculture system
supports.

A Regenerative Retreat in Maui

“For anyone traveling to Maui this is a great opportunity to stay on a
fabulous organic farm, with salt water pool, sweeping views, hot tubs,
yoga decks, and be in a restorative environment to learn and practice
the art of regenerative agriculture and permaculture. Delicious meals
will be served featuring as much local produce as possible.

Networking for Locals

For locals this is a good opportunity to come and meet other like
minded people who share similar goals and values for learning ways to
provide for our needs while living in harmony and balance with the
earth. We can reduce and potentially eliminate the need for importing
produce from places like California. Our vision is to help this
training support the Farm Bureau’s Grown in Maui campaign that is
building momentum on the Island.

Site Details - Hale Akua Garden Farm

Hale Akua Garden Farm is an educational community living ecologically
and responsibly on 7 acres of sustainable land on the pristine North
Shore of Maui. Located in an emerald jungle of native plants, close to
bamboo forests and a waterfall lagoon, the land (aina) is called Hale
Akua, means “House of the Divine”. The site is a 35 minute drive from
the airport, and a 20 minute drive to the nearest small towns and
sandy beaches.

The site features a grand view of the ocean and Haleakala crater
amidst lush tropical surroundings with hiking trails that lead to
fresh water pools and 300-foot tall waterfalls. The site has solar
power and features its own fresh water well. Rain fills the ponds and
there is a salt-water swimming pool, an infrared sauna,  hot tubs
cleaned with ozone, and hammocks for your enjoyment.

Tuition & Registration

Introduction to Permaculture in Maui - April 11-12, 2009

	-$400 2-day course, with dorm style lodging and meals
	-$200 2-day course, without lodging, lunch included

Food Forest Agroforestry Workshop in Maui - April 14-18, 2009

	-$850 5-day course, with dorm style lodging and meals
	-$500 5-day course, without lodging, lunch included

Receive a 10% discount for attending both the Introduction to
Permaculture and Food Forest Agroforestry workshops.

	-$1125  2-day + 5-day course, with dorm style lodging and meals
	- $630  2-day + 5-day course, without lodging, lunch included

Contact & Registration

For questions, registration, or additional information contact:

Regenerative Design Institute - www.regenerativedesign.org
email: info at regenerativedesign.org
phone: 415-868-9681

Subscribe to the Living Mandala Newsletter