[Scpg] Organizing Our Neighborhoods for Life After Oil Thursday April 9th

Quail Springs info at quailsprings.org
Tue Apr 7 16:15:49 PDT 2009

We'll be there, and hope to see many of you from the Santa Barbara area this

Thursday April 9th at the event on Organizing Our Neighborhoods for Life
After

Oil, which will be held in a Town Hall format.  The earlier events in the
series had

over 150 in attendance, showing just how important the issues are to our

communities.

Join the Community Environmental Council (CEC) and the Santa Barbara

Museum of Natural History as we explore how everyday people are coming

together in neighborhoods, schools, churches and community groups to develop

local sources for food and water, take advantage of the abundant renewable

energy sources in our region, provide support to one another in case of "oil

shocks," and create a new, more resilient energy economy. The topic will
then

culminate in the theme for this year's Earth Day Festival, to be held on
April 19 at

Alameda Park, as well as the theme for an online short video contest.

Life After Oil lecture series & community events

Organized by the Community Environmental Council

Hosted by Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History

Sponsored by The Sustainability Project and USGBC-C4

Thursday, April 9 -- 7 to 8:30 pm

Organizing our Neighborhoods for Life After Oil

Location: Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History

Cost: Free

Speakers: John Kelley and Dennis Thompson are local architects involved with

volunteer effort to increase self-sufficiency, community, and sustainability
in

Santa Barbara's Mesa neighborhood. In addition to creating an architectural

vision of a "Mesa Village," community, leaders in this neighborhood are
publishing

a monthly newspaper, hosting bi-monthly village meetings, and organizing

regular "Mesa Food Exchanges."

Speaker: Psychotherapist and ecotherapist Linda Buzzell-Saltzman, M.A.,
M.F.T.

is a member of the Seeds Committee of Transition Town Santa Barbara -- a new

local organization that is part of a global grassroots effort to help
communities

make the transition to post-fossil-fuel, sustainable living.

www.transitiontownsb.org

Sunday, April 19 - 10 am to 5:30 pm

South Coast Earth Day Festival

Location: Alameda Park

Cost: Free

This annual festival hosted by the Community Environmental Council will be

centered around the theme of Life After Oil. Highlights include a Green Car
Show

with dozens of models of the most cutting-edge fuels and vehicles, including
the

Tesla Roadster, and more than 200 exhibitors featuring technologies and

products to help visitors create a greener life. In addition, this year's
festival will

feature a fully-built-out Green Design Home - a 24x24 foot model green home

that will be constructed in the park prior to the festival and moved to a
Tea Fire

survivor after the festival is over. Details at www.SBEarthDay.org

February 13 to April 19

Green Shorts video contest

Awards for the winners!

The Life After Oil theme will also be featured in a 2-month amateur video
contest

and online film festival. Videos are limited to two minutes in length and
can

address any aspect of everyday life including transportation, home and
garden,

work, recreation, etc., and the subsequent actions taken to reduce an
individual's

or organization's carbon footprint and dependence on fossil fuel. The
contest is

free to enter and winning videos will be screened at the South Coast Earth
Day

Festival; prizes include a laptop computer and airing on local public access

stations. Details at www.SBEarthDay.org

Special thanks to our event partners:

COAST, Environmental Defense Center, Fess Parker's DoubleTree Resort

Hotel, Get Oil Out, the Mesa Paper, Quail Springs, Santa Barbara Bicycle

Coalition, Santa Barbara Food Not Lawns, and Santa Barbara

Permaculture Network

Go to www.quailsprings.org/lifeafteroil_large.pdf to view the LIFE AFTER OIL
flyer or visit

www.communityenvironmentalcouncil.org to learn more.