[Scpg] Life After Oil FREE events Santa Barbara Thursday, April 2 -- 7 to 8:30 pm

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Apr 8 06:05:14 PDT 2009

To view LIFE AFTER OIL f
or visit www.communityenvironmentalcouncil.org to learn more.

Community Environmental Council

Energy Leaders Explore "Life After Oil"
3-part lecture series and other events FREEE

Life After Oil lecture series & community events
Organized by the Community Environmental Council
Hosted by Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
Sponsored by The Sustainability Project and USGBC-C4

Thursday, April 2 -- 7 to 8:30 pm
Organizing our Communities for Life After Oil
Location: Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
Cost: Free
Speaker: Rick Cole, Ventura City Manager

has been called "one of Southern
California's most visionary planning thinkers" by the Los Angeles
Times and has made Smart
Growth a priority for
his region. The recent report, Post Peak Oil Vision Plan for Ventura,
outlines how conserving
natural resources such water and energy - and designing homes,
transportation systems and
communities to be more efficient with energy use - can protect a community
from potential
disruptions in energy supplies (oil shocks).

Thursday, April 9 -- 7 to 8:30 pm
Organizing our Neighborhoods for Life After Oil
Location: Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
Cost: Free
Speakers: John Kelley and Dennis Thompson are local architects

involved with
a volunteer
effort to increase self-sufficiency, community, and sustainability in Santa
Barbara's Mesa
neighborhood. In addition to creating an architectural vision of a "Mesa
Village," community,
leaders in this neighborhood are publishing a monthly newspaper, hosting
bi-monthly village
meetings, and organizing regular "Mesa Food Exchanges."

Speaker: Psychotherapist and ecotherapist Linda Buzzell-Saltzman, M.A.,
M.F.T. is a member
of the Seeds Committee of Transition Town Santa Barbara -- a new local
organization that is part
of a global grassroots effort to help communities make the transition to
post-fossil-fuel,
sustainable living. www.transitiontownsb.org

Sunday, April 19 - 10 am to 5:30 pm
South Coast Earth Day Festival
Location: Alameda Park
Cost: Free

This annual festival hosted by the Community Environmental Council will be
centered around
the theme of Life After Oil. Highlights include a Green Car Show with dozens
of models of the
most cutting-edge fuels and vehicles, including the Tesla Roadster, and more
than 200 exhibitors
featuring technologies and products to help visitors create a greener life.
In addition, this year's
festival will feature a fully-built-out Green Design Home - a 24x24 foot
model green home that
will be constructed in the park prior to the festival and moved to a Tea
Fire survivor after the
festival is over. Details at www.SBEarthDay.org

February 13 to April 19
Green Shorts video contest
Awards for the winners!

The Life After Oil theme will also be featured in a 2-month amateur video
contest and online
film festival. Videos are limited to two minutes in length and can address
any aspect of everyday
life including transportation, home and garden, work, recreation, etc., and
the subsequent actions
taken to reduce an individual's or organization's carbon footprint and
dependence on fossil fuel.
The contest is free to enter and winning videos will be screened at the
South Coast Earth Day
Festival; prizes include a laptop computer and airing on local public access
stations. Details at
www.SBEarthDay.org

For Immediate Release March 11, 2009
Contact: Megan Diaz
(805) 963-0583, ext. 105
mdiaz at cecmail.org

Special thanks to our event partners:
COAST, Environmental Defense Center, Fess Parker's DoubleTree Resort Hotel,
Get Oil
Out, the Mesa Paper, Quail Springs, Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition, Santa
Barbara Food
Not Lawns, and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

anta Barbara, CA - Oil and gas are embedded in every aspect of our lives.
How we travel. How
we heat our homes. How we generate the electricity that runs our appliances.
Even how we grow
and transport our food and water.

But after nearly a full century of relying on fossil fuels that took
millennia to create, what
happens when our society needs to find other options? In a time of uncertain
fuel prices, global
warming, and concerns about dwindling oil supplies, many are asking what a
post-oil world
would look like.

Santa Barbara is in a unique position to chart the course for this new
world. Join the Community
Environmental Council (CEC) and the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
as we
explore how everyday people are coming together in neighborhoods, schools,
churches and
community groups to develop local sources for food and water, take advantage
of the abundant
renewable energy sources in our region, provide support to one another in
case of "oil shocks,"
and create a new, more resilient energy economy. The topic will then
culminate in the theme for
this year's Earth Day Festival, to be held on April 19 at Alameda Park, as
well as the theme for
an online short video contest.