[Scpg] 4pm TODAY/Ethnobotany Lecture at SB Botanic Garden/Ancient Wisdom & Modern Medicine: Plants, People, Cultures & Conservation

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sat Apr 11 09:21:37 PDT 2009

ture at Botanic Garden
Ancient Wisdom and Modern Medicine:
Plants, People, Cultures, and Conservation

By
Michael J. Balick, Ph.D.

Saturday, April 11, 2009
Botanic Garden Library
4:00 p.m.
$7 members and students with ID/ $10 non-members
1212 Mission Canyon Rd, Santa Barbara
www.sbbg.org

   The Santa Barbara Botanic Garden is pleased to welcome Dr. Michael
J. Balick for an evening of plants, people, cultures, and
conservation.  This lecture discusses the study of plants used in
traditional healing by indigenous cultures.

Concerned that ancient knowledge of the medicinal qualities of plants
has "devolved", or disappeared with the passing of
practitioners,  Dr. Balick, in conjunction with the Belize
Ethnobotany Project, works with traditional healers and other local
experts in forest utilization working to collect, identify, and
evaluate thousands of plant specimens gathered from tropical
ecosystems.  In addition to Central America, work is also being
conducted on Micronesia and in the Dominican community in New York
City to capture this knowledge and teach it to the next generation.

Traditional knowledge of medicinal plants can be of great value in
addressing contemporary issues in drug development, public health,
and conservation. "What we now do is add the modern tools of science
to this old discipline," said Balick.  "Also, we educate. We try to
help urban peoples see how much we all depend on plants. Plants are
the bottom line in life. They support all of life."  Seeking to
fulfill this potential, scientists find themselves in a race against
time, with both tropical forests being destroyed and indigenous
knowledge about the uses of the plants and their environment rapidly
being lost.

For more information, contact (805) 682-4726, or www.sbbg.org
   12