[Scpg] Yesterday's NY Times: article about Transition Towns

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Mon Apr 20 09:46:45 PDT 2009

The word about the  new Transition Town movement, founded by permaculture
teacher Rob Hopkins of the  UK and now spreading fast in the US, has reached
the New York  Times!
_http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/magazine/19town-t.html_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/magazine/19town-t.html)

This article was also posted and commented on at Transition  California:
_http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-end-is-near-yay-by-jon
_
(http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-end-is-near-yay-by-jon)    Thanks to Bob Banner for passing it along to us.

Some cool stuff highlighted in green...

Linda

April 19, 2009

The Green Issue
The End Is Near!  (Yay!)
By JON MOOALLEM

The stage lights went up at the  Panida Theater, a classy old movie house
in Sandpoint, Idaho, and the M.C.  stepped out of the dark with one finger
high in the air. There was an uprising  of applause and cheering. Then,
shouting like a head coach before a bowl game,  she said, “Sandpoint, are you
ready?”

It was a Friday night last  November. All around the little town of
Sandpoint, beetles were blighting north  Idaho’s pine forests. The previous day,
the U.N. reported that emissions from  automobiles and coal-fired power plants
were collecting in brown clouds over 13  Asian and African cities and
blocking out the sun. Iceland’s main banks had  crumpled, and American auto
executives were about to fly to Washington in  private jets to plead for a
bailout. Off the coast of Africa, Somali pirates  were hijacking oil tankers. But
the folks at the Panida Theater wouldn’t stop  clapping. The Sandpoint
Transition Initiative, a new chapter  of a growing, worldwide environmental
movement, was officially coming to  life.

The Transition movement was started four years ago by Rob Hopkins,  a young
British instructor of ecological design. Transition shares certain
principles with environmentalism, but its vision is deeper — and more radical —
than mere greenness or sustainability. “Sustainability,” Hopkins recently
told  me, “is about reducing the impacts of what comes out of the tailpipe of
industrial society.” But that assumes our industrial society will keep
running.  By contrast, Hopkins said, Transition is about “building resiliency” —
 putting  new systems in place to make a given community as self-sufficient
as possible,  bracing it to withstand the shocks that will come as oil
grows astronomically  expensive, climate change intensifies and, maybe sooner
than we think,  industrial society frays or collapses entirely. For a
generation, the  environmental movement has told us to change our lifestyles to
avoid  catastrophic consequences. Transition tells us those consequences are now
 irreversibly switching on; we need to revolutionize our lives if we want
to  survive.

Transition’s approach is adamantly different from that of the  survivalists
I heard about, scattered in the mountains around Sandpoint in  bunkers
stocked with gold and guns. The movement may begin from a similarly  dystopian
idea: that cheap oil has recklessly vaulted humanity to a peak of  production
and consumption, and no combination of alternative technologies can
generate enough energy, or be installed fast enough, to keep us at that height
before the oil is gone. (Transition dismisses Al Gore types as  “
techno-optimists.”) But Transition then takes an almost utopian turn. Hopkins  insists
that if an entire community faces this stark challenge together, it  might be
able to design an “elegant descent” from that peak. We can consciously
plot a path into a lower-energy life — a life of walkable villages, local food
and artisans and greater intimacy with the natural world — which, on
balance,  could actually be richer and more enjoyable than what we have now.
Transition,  Hopkins has written, meets our era’s threats with a spirit of “
elation, rather  than the guilt, anger and horror” behind most environmental
activism. “Change is  inevitable,” he told me, “but this is a change that
could be  fantastic.”

After developing the rudiments of Transition with a class he  was teaching
at an Irish college, Hopkins moved to the English town of Totnes,  and, in
2005, began mobilizing a campaign to “relocalize” the town. The
all-volunteer effort has since been busily planting nut trees, starting its own  local
currency and offering classes on things like darning socks in order to  “
facilitate the Great Reskilling.”

More than 80 other initiatives across  England have followed, including one
in Bristol, a city of nearly half a million  people. Worldwide, there are
now more than 150 official Transition Towns  (communities with an active
group of citizens), and last winter, trainers from  Totnes traveled the globe to
run workshops, leaving activists on three  continents to begin the
relocalization of their own communities — autonomously  and with whatever financing
they can raise. (The Transition revolution is,  loosely speaking, a
franchise model.) Sandpoint, Idaho, was the second  Transition Town in the United
States after Boulder County, Colo. They have been  joined by more than 20
others in the last year, including Portland, Maine;  Berea, Kentucky; and even
Los Angeles. But the American arm of the movement is  expanding far faster
than it is accomplishing anything, which is why the event  in Sandpoint that
night was so significant. The Sandpoint Transition Initiative  was the first
in North America to hold this kind of coming-out party, meant to  engage the
community in its work. This constituted Step 4 in the 12-step  Transition
Process laid out in Rob Hopkins’s Transition Handbook, the  jargon-filled
manual at the center of the movement. The handbook calls this  event “A Great
Unleashing.”

The Transition Handbook reads like an  imaginative take on a
corporate-management text. It recommends techniques for  building consensus, from
bureaucratic-sounding protocols like Open Space  Technology to an exercise in which
people decorate a potato like a superhero.  “The Transition model,” the
founder of one English Transition Town explained to  me, “provides a structure,
a foundation for organizing.” And along with  Transition’s emphasis on
hopefulness over fear, this rigorous playbook seems to  set it apart from
earlier grass-roots crusades. It is, Transition leaders say,  what they hope will
allow the movement to bring in the people that conventional  activists have
failed to reach and, just as important, keep everyone focused  through the
messiness and disillusionment every community-organizing effort  encounters
and many do not survive.

At the Panida, the keynote speaker  was Michael Brownlee, the director of
the Transition effort in Boulder and a  representative of Transition U.S. —
an even newer group that is forming to help  the movement spread in America.
He was like the Transition equivalent of a  middle manager flown in from
corporate.

Brownlee gave his own variation of the standard PowerPoint  presentation
distributed at Transition trainings. Up on the screen behind him  came a slide
showing the three convergent emergencies that Transition aims to  help us
through: climate change, the unraveling of the global economy and peak  oil.
The theory of peak oil concludes that the productivity of the earth’s oil
wells will soon peak — if it hasn’t already — and, once production falls
short  of demand, the market for our fundamental resource will rapidly spiral
into  chaos, potentially pulling much of society down with it.

Brownlee spelled  out some probable outcomes, quoting peak oil’s pantheon
of thinkers: Oil hits  $300 a barrel by 2013. Middle Eastern exports cease.
Things we take for granted  — supermarkets, suburbs — quickly become
impossible, and the world sinks into an  “unprecedented economic crisis” that will
“topple governments, alter national  boundaries,” incite wars and “
challenge the continuation of civilized life.”  Brownlee paused after reading that
last quote. He hadn’t even gotten to climate  change and the implosion of
the American dollar.

It was all  surprisingly easy to imagine. Lately, an apocalyptic bile has
been collecting in  the back of America’s throat. Our era has been defined by
skyrocketing line  graphs, and it’s easy to wonder if we have finally
pushed something just a  little too far and are now watching everything start to
teeter over. Maybe it’s  not our dependence on oil, but the carbon we have
plugged up the atmosphere  with. Or global population. Or credit derivatives.
We’re all starting to career  down the other side of that hill — which
hill, specifically, is up to you. But  it’s the shadowy side, and none of us
can see the bottom.

In Sandpoint,  though, people were trying to move the stale chatter of
environmental collapse  out of the health-food store and into the 21st century —
to pull each  incongruous part of their community together and make their
town,  collaboratively, the blessed place they all knew it could be. At a
time when so  much fuzzy energy for change ricochets through our culture, and
even Chevron ads  ask us to use less oil and harness “the power of human
energy” instead,  Transition seemed to offer this sold-out theater in Idaho both
a vision and a  lucid, 240-page instruction manual with which to give it a
try.

Would it  work? Nobody could say. But as Brownlee finished, and the crowd
suddenly  re-erupted into applause, even just trying it seemed to feel
wonderful. Next, a  group of kids raced onto the stage in Sgt. Pepper garb,
holding inflatable  guitars. Later came a “sustainable performance arts” troupe
(they use biofuels  when fire dancing) and a woman who sang about rain and
peace. By the time the  last guitar duo performed “Here Comes the Sun,”
everyone in the room was so  keyed up — so ready to turn the impending dark age
of peak oil and climate  change into a renaissance — that no one heard the
slightest menace in the line  “Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly
melting.” Or if they did, they just  kept singing along anyway.

The second phase of the Sandpoint Transition  Initiative’s Great Unleashing
weekend began the next afternoon. A four-hour  meeting was called to divide
people into working groups, Step 5 in the  Transition Handbook. Each
working group would focus on a necessity of the town,  like food, energy or trans
portation. They would develop projects, then research  and write a plan
delineating what steps Sandpoint must take in order to  relocalize over the next
several decades. The Transition Handbook calls this  crucial document an
Energy Descent Action Plan. Producing one is Step  12.

More than 100 people turned out for the meeting in the gymnasium of a
local charter school. Everyone wore name tags. Richard Kühnel, who started the
Sandpoint Transition Initiative with some like-minded friends in his living
room, drew a shining sun on his.

Kühnel, 54, is a smiling stick figure of  a man, with wispy hair and a
whitening beard. He has worked as a software  designer on and off since he was a
teenager but also has a degree in “ecosocial  design” from Gaia
University. (He is Austrian and moved to Sandpoint in 1995  with his wife, an
alternative-medicine practitioner.) Kühnel organized the  initiative’s first meeting
early last year after returning from a pilgrimage to  Totnes, where he
attended one of the first Transition trainings. He was  attracted to the
movement, he told me, because it alone seems to understand how  to persuade people
to address the world’s gloomiest challenges without shoving  them into
denial or depression. “We are not fighting against something,” Kühnel  told me. “
We are for something. I wanted to be part of the solution, positively
responding to all these challenges here in Sandpoint.”

Sandpoint is a  town of 8,100 people, rimmed by the Cabinet and Selkirk
Mountains and bordered  by picturesque Lake Pend Oreille. Like many Western
towns, it is the mottled  product of a century of migration. Railroad workers
were followed by timber  workers. In the 1970s, young, long-haired
back-to-the-landers arrived, and many  persevered even as northern Idaho ossified into
a conservative stronghold. Last  year, after the rise of Sarah Palin, who
is a Sandpoint native, a local magazine  ran an account of the couple of
months she spent there as an infant before  moving to Alaska. “I was in the
eighth grade,” a former baby sitter told the  magazine. “I held her.”

Transition seeks to “unleash the collective  genius of a community,” as
Hopkins often puts it — to unify a town behind a  single, critical purpose.
And at first glance, unifying Sandpoint might seem  impossible. But those
living on the land, whether out of a left- or right-wing  ideology, do have a
lot in common, including an astounding amount of  resourcefulness. Peggy
Braunstein, who came to Sandpoint from New York 27 years  ago, told me that for
her and her neighbors, many of whom live off the grid,  life without oil “isn’
t so overwhelming or shocking. People here have already  lived a
scaled-down life. We’ve already bartered and shared, canned together.” A  local
green-tech entrepreneur told me that Transition should not have too much  trouble
“bridging the rednecks and the hippies.” (“The best way to bring them
together is a Willie Nelson concert,” he joked.)

At the charter school,  everybody found seats in a circle. Many balanced
legal pads on their laps.  Kühnel’s wife, Berta, began by asking everyone to
join hands. She instructed  them to close their eyes and transmit energy
around the circle in a clockwise  direction. “We’re going to journey into 2030
and see what’s there for us,” she  said. She told them to feel their bodies
lifting into the clouds, falling back  to earth as rain, then joining a
river, “flowing forward in time.” The river ran  through Sandpoint. It was the
future now, and Berta asked everyone to look  around: “What’s the
technology? Is there technology? How do we dream? How do we  live?”

Sandpoint’s mayor, a painter and former hardware wholesaler named  Gretchen
Hellar, was sitting next to Berta. When I asked her later what she made  of
the exercise, Hellar told me: “First of all, I’m not a good-feelings,
touchy-feely kind of person.” She added, “People wanted to talk about where we
 can put community gardens, how can we make our downtown more viable.” John
T.  Reuter, a Republican city councilman a few seats over, told me that
when Berta  told them to hold hands, he was looking around the room, counting
up the people  he knew Transition just alienated.

The crowd split into groups of nine to  draw their visions. Bruce Millard,
a local architect who builds with straw  bales, quickly emerged as his group’
s moderator. Quite tall, with a ponytail and  mustache, Millard bent over
and drew several circles on his group’s sheet of  paper with an orange
crayon. He envisioned a hub-and-spoke system: many  villages, each with a
different specialty, with downtown Sandpoint as a trading  post in the middle.

The group started brainstorming, assuming there would  no longer be cars or
a power grid. One village might grow food. Another should  educate children.

“Where are we going to put the corpses?” someone  asked.

“Eat ’em!” said a woman in braids.

“Can you just make a  rule that everybody’s cremated?” a somber-looking
woman in a blazer asked. Her  husband was sitting with his face in his hands.

“Well,” Millard said, “it  takes a lot of energy to cremate people.
Besides, now we’re getting into  rules.”

Millard’s sketch happened to look a lot like the master plan of
Fourierism, one of the most popular secular utopian movements in American  history. In
the early 1800s, Charles Fourier, a Frenchman, proposed, in a series  of
jargon-filled writings, a self-sufficient community model called a “phalanx.”
 A central estate or “phalanstery” would be surrounded by tradesmen’s
workshops,  cultural institutions and farmland.

Fourier was horrified by what he saw  at the outset of the Industrial
Revolution. His fears may sound familiar: that  dishonest lending and capitalism
in general would lead to the enslavement of  humans by big companies; “
industrial feudalism,” he called it. And, not unlike  Transition, he aimed to
overhaul society one phalanx at a time. Fourier claimed  to have reduced all
possible human personalities to a number of essential types.  From there, it
was simple math. He calculated that if precisely 1,620 men, women  and
children were collected in a 6,000-acre phalanx, they would — all by merrily
following their individual passions — end up satisfying all the phalanx’s
essential needs. “The new amorous world,” he wrote, would rise out of “the new
industrial world” by the force of “passional attraction.”

By the  mid-1800s, more than 15,000 Americans had experimented with
Fourieristic living,  many drawn to its promise during a severe economic downturn.
But Fourier’s  belief that acute scientific modeling could bring disparate
people together  didn’t hold. It reflected, the historian Carl J. Guarneri
writes, “the naïve  faith that . . . Baptists would get along with
freethinkers and intellectuals  would make great farmers.” Arguments tore phalanxes
apart. So did debt. All but  eight failed within three years.

It has been an American impulse since  the Puritans: feeling the world
racing in the wrong direction and withdrawing to  a small, insular place to
start over. Hippies came to Sandpoint in the 1970s for  similar reasons: to live
solitary, self-reliant lives. But going back to the  land was tough,
particularly since many never lived on the land in the first  place. (“I couldn’t
build things with my hands,” one man, once part of a small  commune called
Huckleberry Duckleberry, told me. “It was futile.”) By the early  ’80s most
had either moved into town or left the region.

Now, maybe  because our various crises have escalated, or because it costs
so much to  disappear into your own parcel of wilderness, opting out no
longer feels like a  possibility. One of Transition’s more oblique arguments may
be that we can’t  escape anymore. We have to work together to remake the
places where we already  live.

By now, around the charter-school gymnasium, one group was  imagining
year-round farmers’ markets in the buildings that would, by 2030, no  longer be
banks. Another discussed bicycle parking and nodded benignly at a man  who
pictured everyone living in caves with Internet connections. Millard’s  circle
was ticking off ways they could travel between the villages they had
drawn. “O.K., so we’re walking, we’re bicycling, we’re skiing,” he  said.

“Kayaking!” someone offered.

Peggy Braunstein spoke up,  worried about the snowy north Idaho winters. “We
’ve got a problem,” she  said.

“There’s no problems,” Millard told her. “In a dream there’s no
problems. There’s only solutions.”

Karen Lanphear, who has been steering  the Transition Initiative alongside
Richard Kühnel since its inception, found  this portion of the meeting
excruciating. “I thought we squandered at least an  hour or an hour and a half of
people’s time,” she told me later. Lanphear is a  commanding woman of 62
with short, styled gray hair and a doctorate in  education. In many ways, she
is Kühnel’s temperamental opposite. She feeds off  his visionary energy but
felt compelled to run their earliest meetings with  timed agendas.

In the six weeks before the Unleashing, Lanphear met with  the Downtown
Sandpoint Business Association, the University of Idaho extension  office and
the branch manager for U.S. Bank. She was the keynote speaker at the  Greater
Sandpoint Chamber of Commerce’s monthly Women in Business luncheon and
penned six editorials on Transition for the local paper. Lanphear told me she
has a gift for “building coalitions.” This was apparent. But it wasn’t
clear if  everyone she briefed had the same frame of reference. Karl Dye, head
of the  Bonner County Economic Development Corporation, told me, “All the
things  Transition’s doing basically line up with what we’re trying to do,
which is  create better-paying jobs.” He saw a lot of promise in Lanphear’s
group, though  he also said: “If you start a business to produce food locally
and there are  opportunities to make money by taking it to other areas, you’
re going to do it.  You may believe in Transitions and local production and
local consumption, but  hey, man, we’re still Americans.”

At the time of the Great Unleashing,  most people in Sandpoint presumably
hadn’t heard anything about Transition. But  the ones who had often found a
way to interpret the movement as extensions of  their own visions. Having
watched second- and third-home owners, retirees and  tourists rush into
Sandpoint, many latched on to Transition’s vague promise of  building a better,
quainter community. A minister told me she was glad that  Transition wasn’t “a
greenie, hippie, far-out thing.” But Michael Boge, the City  Council
president, seemed to complain of exactly that, telling me he didn’t  understand
why the group had to cheapen a good idea by “inventing a new word for  it and
wrapping themselves in that catchphrase.” (The new word Boge objected to
wasn’t “Transition”; it was “sustainability.”) Still, Boge, who owns five
drive-in restaurants and is active in a long-distance motorcycling club
called  the Iron Butt Association, told me that he felt allied with Transition’s
ideals.  “I’ve bitched about this to my friends for years: we need to make
a concerted  effort to get off fossil fuels,” he said. “And I truly believe
that with the  country and God behind us, we can do it.” Transition was a
prism, offering a  slightly different view of Sandpoint depending on how each
person turned it, but  always shooting out lots of rainbows.

Transition’s message is twofold:  first, that a dire global emergency
demands we transform our society; and  second, that we might actually enjoy
making those changes. Most people I met in  Sandpoint seemed to have latched onto
the enjoyment part and run with it. The  vibe was much more Alice Waters
than Mad Max. (Jeff Burns, a local food activist  who joined the food working
group, was a conspicuous exception. “Some people on  the food group want to
feel good,” he told me, “and some people want to figure  out how to feed
40,000 people in case the trucks stop rolling.”)

Michael  Brownlee, the keynote speaker from Boulder, sat silently in his
chair during the  charter-school meeting. That night, he told me that the
unflinching cheeriness  of everyone involved made him optimistic. But he also
worried that people didn’t  yet understand that “just because you’re
passionate about a particular issue  like transportation or water or local food doesn
’t mean that you have the skills  to do the research, analysis or planning
around that issue.” He later added, “If  I knew how to convey how serious,
how urgent the situation is without sending  people into fear and
helplessness, it would take a great burden off of  me.”

During the next few days, I surprised myself by actually arguing  with
people in Sandpoint about whether they were doing Transition properly —  with
enough intensity, given the stakes. “I can’t live with the ambiguity of
pending disaster,” Lanphear told me. “I was raised to believe there are no
problems without solutions.” She said she didn’t believe things would become
as  bad as Brownlee and others predicted. She had a lot of faith in the ethic
and  ingenuity of younger generations and also told me, contradicting what
seems like  a central tenet of Transition, “I think technology is going to
be one of our  saving graces.”

A few months after the Sandpoint Un-leashing, I went to a  meeting of the
new board of Transition U.S. in Sebastopol, Calif., north of San  Francisco.
The organization had just partnered with the Post Carbon Institute,  another
peak-oil-focused nonprofit group, and received $280,000 of seed money.  The
board had signed the lease on its new headquarters 12 days before I
arrived.

Transition U.S. is designed to offer guidance to Transition  initiatives
forming around the country and to organize trainings. Already it had
communicated with activists in more than 900 communities. Jennifer Gray, who
started the second Transition Town in England and then went to California to
found Transition U.S. last year, was spending most of her time fielding phone
calls and e-mail messages. She took it as a good sign that no one in
Sandpoint  was reaching out to her.

Transition insists that initiatives be  completely bottom-up organizations.
There’s no central oversight, and the movement is expected to evolve
slightly differently wherever  it springs up. The trajectory of each initiative
shouldn’t be controlled too  tightly even by its local leaders; Step 11 in the
handbook is really more of a  mantra: “Let it go where it wants to go.”
Like a Fourierian phalanx,  a Transition Town should be the product of the
passions of  its residents — all of its residents, equally. Unlike Fourierism,
though,  Transition doesn’t claim its method is mathematically guaranteed to
succeed. It  simply posits that our best hope is to “unleash the collective
genius of the  community” and hope all the right pieces spill out. “We
truly don’t know if this will work,” Rob Hopkins asserts in a
mission-statement-like document called the “Cheerful  Disclaimer!”

Consequently, the structure Transition sets forth is  intentionally very
minimal, and improvisation is encouraged. The handbook’s 12 steps needn’t be
done in order (Hopkins now  calls them the 12 “ingredients”), and
communities are free to skip ones they  don’t find useful. Ultimately, the most
profound thing Transition offers isn’t a  methodology at all but a mood.

“The genius of  the Transition message, as I see it, is that it takes what
we should be doing to  avert these crises and turns it into something that
sounds inviting and positive  and uplifting,” Richard Heinberg, a Transition
U.S. board member, told me  in Sebastopol. Heinberg is an icon of the
peak-oil fringe and the author of the  seminal, comfortless book “The Party’s
Over.” In 2007, he published a  wider-ranging volume called “Peak Everything.”
Still, Heinberg said he worries  that Transition risks losing people in the
elation it inspires. He has been debating with Hopkins whether, in addition
to devising  a long-term descent, Transition should emphasize preparing for
disasters that  Heinberg says are unavoidable or already unfolding, like
volatile gas prices or  “being sideswiped by economic catastrophe and weather
disruptions.”

Eventually he expects the energy grid to weaken or  shut off entirely and,
like Michael Brownlee, he told me he considers martial  law or worse
persecution possible as resources become scarcer. Jennifer Gray,  meanwhile, told
me she expects “a big population die-off.” Heinberg said,  “There’s nothing
wrong with being motivated by fear if there’s something to be  genuinely
afraid of.”

I returned to Sandpoint in late February. The 11  working groups formed at
the charter school in November were meeting regularly.  They ranged in size
from half a dozen to about 20 people and were all filing  minutes to a
steering committee as they plotted their first  projects.

Jennifer Gray describes one of Transition’s  goals as creating a “parallel
community,” putting things like local power  generation or local food
networks in place to survive the slow crumbling of our  current ones. But for the
most part, the projects evolving in Sandpoint  seemed designed to make the
town’s current infrastructure a little greener and  more livable. One group
hoped to facilitate energy audits, making Sandpoint’s  buildings more
efficient users of the energy grid. The mobility working group,  meanwhile, was
planning to install a barrel of brightly colored flags at a  dangerous
intersection downtown. Pedestrians could pick up a flag and cross the  street
waving it, making themselves more visible to automobile traffic. Ideally,  one
member told me, they would persuade the city to put a traffic light there,  “
but that’s two, three years down the road.”

I was also surprised by the  degree to which Transition members were
intermixing with city authorities.  Shortly after the Great Unleashing, Shelby
Rognstad, a young cafe owner and an  early Sandpoint Transition Initiative
board member alongside Kühnel and  Lanphear, was appointed to the town’s
planning and zoning commission — a  significant position, because Sandpoint was
writing its first new comprehensive  plan in 30 years. Rognstad spent the
winter reading thick books on urban  planning and cut down his involvement with
Transition significantly. His outlook  was changing. “Philosophically, I want
to look 100 years down the road and just  shoot for that vision,” he told
me. “But the city’s only going to go for what’s  real and achievable right
now, in this fiscal year, in this election cycle.” He  said he was thinking
of running for office.

Kühnel was serving on the  mayor’s advisory council on sustainability, a
panel that was assessing a  proposal by Transition’s food working group for an
organic community  garden.

By all estimates, the food group was far  ahead of the others. When Jeff
Burns approached the city about doing a  garden as a first project, the parks
director immediately pulled out satellite  maps and started recommending
plots. The parks director and the mayor had  already scouted locations for
gardens and were only waiting for some kind of  volunteer organization or
beautification committee to come and ask for one.  Transition was given a third of
an acre of an unused athletic field near the  center of town and agreed to
help keep the rest of the property weed-free in  exchange. The food group
had already lined up donations of seeds and tools and  had a built-in pool of
exuberant volunteer gardeners. A groundbreaking party was  planned for early
May.

And so, the Sandpoint Transition Initiative was  taking its first steps.
They were baby steps and, it seemed, pointed in only the  general direction of
the revolutionary postcarbon future the Transition Handbook  had called
them toward last fall. Other working groups are now volunteering to  help the
Chamber of Commerce, which happened to be starting its own “buy local”
campaign. Transition Initiative members will organize a contest to design the
campaign’s logo and will go around town, asking shop owners to hang up
posters.  Lanphear told me, “As long as we get the work going in the right
direction, it  doesn’t matter who gets the glory or the credit.” Richard Kühnel
chose to see it  in an even more positive light. He told me, “I feel whoever
wants to participate  and whose ideas are aligned with ours, that’s who the
Sandpoint Transition  Initiative is” — whether those people know it or not.

“I love Richard’s  energy,” Councilman John T. Reuter told me during my
last afternoon in  Sandpoint. “I can’t say that enough times. I just think he’
s the best thing  since sliced bread. But I guess I can’t really say that
because sliced bread is  a problem — that’s part of the industrial-food
complex. So he’s better than  that! Richard is the best thing to recover us from
the crime of sliced  bread.”

Reuter is 25. Bearded but otherwise baby-faced, he is one of  three City
Council members under the age of 31. He comes from a family of Greek  Orthodox
sheep ranchers in southern Idaho and now heads the county Young
Republicans. He talks fast, scurrying through wry digressions like a comedian at  a
Catskills resort.

“Have you read Rob what’s-his-name’s book?” he asked  me, meaning the
Transition Handbook. Almost before I could answer, he said, “I  read that whole
thing.” Reuter didn’t like it, though. “There’s no question oil  is a
limited quantity,” he said, adding that we should prepare for a life  without
it. But the handbook struck him as overly pessimistic, resigning  humanity to
the sort of druidic life people at the charter school were  romanticizing. “
I guess I don’t celebrate the loss of energy the way some of the  people in
the Transition group do,” he said. “I like having a  dishwasher.”

What Reuter said he felt was wonderful about the Sandpoint  Transition
Initiative was how quickly it was rejuvenating people’s faith that  the changes
they craved were worth working for. “To say the group has only  created a
community garden so far really isn’t sufficient,” he told me. “It’s
something really more substantive: they’re bringing people to the process.” It
was easy to argue that at the initiative’s core, in place of any clearly
defined  philosophy or strategy, was only a puff of enthusiasm. But Reuter seemed
to  argue that enthusiasm is an actual asset, a resource our  society is
already suffering a scarcity of. “There’s  just something happening here that’
s reviving people’s civic sense of  possibility,” he later said. “Politics
is ‘the art of the possible,’  right? I think what the Transition
Initiative is doing is expanding what’s  possible in people’s minds. It is
expanding people’s ability to dream bold. And  that’s what we need to do: dream
bold. Because people have been limited by their  own imaginations.”

More than anyone else I had spoken to in Sandpoint,  including the
initiative’s own organizers at times, Reuter was able to  articulate a cohesive
understanding of what Transition was actually doing. The  movement wasn’t going
to unify everybody in Sandpoint, he said: “I know that’s  their dream, but
I just don’t see it happening.” But it was inspiring for Reuter  to watch
the group emerge as one fervently turning gear in the larger mechanism  of
self-governance.

“It’s like any other civic organization,” he said  approvingly. It wasn’t
a very romantic notion, and maybe achieving that status  so easily was a
sign that the initiative wasn’t really tackling the level of  paradigm-busting
work Transition wants to awaken us to. Maybe that will turn out  to be
regrettable. But, as utopian movements go, it also struck me as an  unusually
constructive outcome.

Writing an Energy Descent Plan or  building a parallel community — bridges
to carry us over the terrible time ahead  and into a world we long for — wasn
’t going to be Transition’s strength or its  usefulness, as Reuter saw it.
“Government used to be the place in our community  where people came
together and made civic decisions,” he told me. “That’s what  we should do again,
and that’s what’s going to bring us back together: not  having government
be this force somehow outside of us, that’s bearing down on us  or annoying
us, but as a force that we actually embrace and want and that does  what we
want.”

Reuter had a utopian vision, too: the one laid out in the  U.S.
Constitution. And the Sandpoint Transition Initiative seemed to be moving  Sandpoint
closer to that ideal in its own small way, even though it was working  out of
a totally different handbook. They were managing to make the functioning
democracy in their town a little more productive. For a wide range of
not-always-consistent reasons, people in Sandpoint decided that Transition could
help them build the world they wanted. And now, only because enough people
stepped forward and made that decision, Transition actually looked like a
good  tool for the job. They were picking it up by whatever handle they
grasped. They  were swinging it as earnestly as they could.

_http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/magazine/19town-t.html?_r=1&r..._
(http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/magazine/19town-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&pagewan
ted=print)
steps!