[Scpg] Transition Town has a way to create homesteads aka "land co-operatives"

Ahcros at aol.com Ahcros at aol.com
Fri Apr 24 09:37:24 PDT 2009

Linda and Friends,
The Transition Town movement has created a legal structure called a
"Community Interest Company" that could be used to transfer property into
co-operative status, create permaculture homesteads, and thus give access to land.

A CIC can be "for the use of people who want to conduct a business or other
activity for community benefit, and not purely for private advantage. This
is achieved by a 'community interest test' and  an 'asset lock', which
ensure that the CIC is established for community purposes and the assets and
profits are dedicated to these purposes."

The way I see it, a CIC could be used to create stable and long-lasting
permactulture homesteads!  This is exactly what we want to encourage.  So a CIC
could be used by older folks who have land, as a vehicle to transfer their
properties into co-ops that benefit a younger generation -- those with the
vision and strength to make permaculture homesteads happen.

I really think that we could try to light a fire as to the legal advantages
of a CIC.  Right now, apparently it is a legal structure only in England.
We would have to get our own US version of a CIC to get these benefits (see
the URL below).
Can we ask Paul Edwards to address this issue in his upcoming talk,
including 1) the CIC as a co-operative that fosters inter-generational transfer of
property and 2) the possibility of CIC's for our country?  Can we move this
forward in our local permaculture efforts?
For those permies who don't yet have access to land, this could be pretty
important.
Thanks,
Ann Crosby
967-6755