[Scpg] Subscribe to Communities magazine!

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Apr 27 04:56:43 PDT 2009

<http://communities.ic.org>
The Fellowship for Intentional Community
Promoting Community Living & Cooperative Lifestyles
Communities magazine, Directory, Video and more

AN FIC EMAIL PUBLICATION since 1999, serving over 7000 subscribers.
Format has changed to short messages, sent weekly.

Communities Magazine Current & Upcoming Issues
   #142 (Spring): Festivals and Gatherings
   #143 (Summer): Ecology and Community
   #144 (Fall): Community in Hard Times

Since 1972, Communities has been the primary
resource for information, issues, and ideas about
intentional communities in North America--from
urban co-ops to cohousing groups to ecovillages
to rural communes. Communities increasingly
focuses on creating and enhancing community in
the workplace, in nonprofit or activist
organizations, and in neighborhoods. Articles and
columns cover practical how-to issues of
cooperative living as well as personal stories
about forming new communities, decision-making,
conflict resolution, raising children in
community, ecological living, and much more. We
explore the joys and challenges of cooperation in
its many dimensions.

Please subscribe today! If you're already a
subscriber, tell your friends about us or better
yet give a gift subsciption.

<http://store.ic.org/cmag>

Following are some highlights of the current
spring issue Festivals and Gatherings. We hope
you'll check out this exciting issue.

Fellowship for Intentional Communities Events by
Ma'ikwe Schaub Ludwig. At FIC events, people get
opportunities to reach over fences, meet fellow
travelers, discover new pathways, and figure out
what to do when the neighbor's dog is barking at
2 a.m.

Adventures in Temporary Community: An Interview
with Liat Silverman by Kim Scheidt. Superhero
rides, Burning Man, and Rainbow Gatherings all
demonstrate how living, working, and sharing
together offer many benefits, whether in
temporary or long-term community.

Burning Man: Experiencing the Playa Community by
Kayla Wexelberg. A first-time Black Rock City
"Burner" learns multiple lessons about
cooperation, connection, self-expression, and
play, and brings them back into her daily life.
<http://store.ic.org/cmag>
Comin' Home to the Rainbow by Scott Shuker . A
dedicated Rainbow Family member explains the
diverse culture, the lingo, the traditions, the
politics, and both the "bright" and "shadow"
sides of this gathering of the tribes.

Network for a New Culture Camps by Pati Diehl,
Melanie Rios, Michael Rios, and Sarah Taub.
Participants in NFNC's Summer Camps explore
intimacy, transparency, freedom of choice,
personal responsibility, sexuality, and new ways
of being, teaching, and learning.

Sandhill Sorghum Festival by Stan Hildebrand. At
its annual festival, a small farming group
celebrates abundance, shares knowledge, builds
community, jump-starts its harvest season, and
serves hot sorghum syrup on fresh biscuits.

Celebration as a Way of Life by Barbara Swetina.
Musicians, puppeteers, dancers, artists,
Celebration Activists, and imaginations run wild
in a once-sleepy village in southern France.

Festival of the Babas by Allan Sutherland. For
one day every year, in a small Bulgarian village,
the social order is turned upside down and
grandmothers rule.

Cultural Summer in Sólheimar, Iceland by
Gu©£mundur Ármann Pétursson. An Icelandic
ecovillage shelters and supports the disabled
while hosting an annual summer arts festival that
"reverse integrates" 25,000 outsiders into its
own unique culture.

Festivals: Times of High Energy by Barbara
Stützel. At ZEGG's festivals, guests and
community members share openly and find that a
different world is possible when we are the
change we want to see in the world.

How Currents Community Got Its Groove Back by
Rebecca Dale. Born in celebration, a rural group
in Ohio lost some of its community spirit once
home-building and family-raising started-until
members discovered the Hawaiian luau.

The Dance of Expansive Community by Paul
Freundlich. A former Communities editor discovers
that non-local networks forged through common
commitments, interests, and periodic gatherings
can be just as involving as local or
"intentional" community.

The issue also includes letters, a publisher's
note on technology and community culture , the
second installment of our "Community 101" column,
a Cooperative Group Solutions panelist discussion
of "Cigarettes, Alcohol, Visitors, and Events,"
articles on a neighborhood chicken cooperative, a
virtual retirement village, local currencies, and
poetry in community, a tribute to two of
Australia's intentional community elders, details
about how to get involved with the FIC, and a
list of upcoming community-associated Festivals
and Gatherings.

Please ask for Communities at your favorite local
cafe or natural foods store, or subscribe today.

Summer and Fall issues: The theme for the summer
issue (#143) is Ecology and Community and the
theme for the fall issue (#144) is Community in
Hard Times.  If you're interested in submitting
articles, photos, or illustrations to future
issues of Communities, please
<http://communities.ic.org/submit.php>follow this
link for details.

Contact Communities Editor at <mailto:editor at ic.org>editor at ic.org.

----------
Get a Communities sample issue, renew, or
subscribe today <http://store.ic.org/cmag>

<mailto:order at ic.org>order at ic.org
800-462-8240
<http://store.ic.org/cmag>http://store.ic.org/cmag

Sample issues $5 plus $4 S/H by US standard mail.
Shop online for lower shipping rates and more shipping options.

Subscriptions: one year, 4 issues:
$24 US; $29 Canada; $31 Other.

Order by phone, fax, or mail:
FIC * 138 Twin Oaks Rd * Louisa VA 23093
800-462-8240 * fax 540-894-4112

This email was sent to Wesley Roe at this address  lakinroe at silcom.com

We have the following contact information and
postal address status associated with your email
address:

Wesley Roe, Santa Barbara Perm Net, 33 Paradise
Rd, Santa Barbara, CA 93105-9771, 805-964-1555,
lakinroe at silcom.com, Share status: Do NOT share
my postal address, Postal mail status: OK to send
postal mail

MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION.  #142 is the current issue
and was mailed to subscribers in mid-March. If
you recently subscribed your first issue likely
is still in transit; please allow plenty of
delivery time for magazine rate mail!

Your subscription status as of 4/22/2009 is as
follows: Expires with the current issue #142.
Please renew today!

FIC MEMBERSHIP. According to our records the
status of the paid individual or group FIC
membership listed at your address above as of
April 1 2009 is as follows: None

   Fellowship membership is a separate service from a Communities magazine
   or eNews subscription.

CHANGED YOUR INFORMATION? Please keep us informed
of any changes in your customer information as
displayed here. For best service use your
customer number 27460 when contacting us and/or
in the Notes field of the online order form.
Notify us by emailing to
<mailto:order at ic.org>order at ic.org if you wish to
update any of your contact information.

*  To UNSUBSCRIBE from this newsletter send a
blank email to
<mailto:PubsList at ic.org>PubsList at ic.org with
REMOVE-27460 as the subject. You'll receive a
removal confirmation.

*  If a friend forwarded you a copy of this
online newsletter and you would like to subscribe
please send a blank email to
<mailto:PubsList at ic.org>PubsList at ic.org with
SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. Please send both
your NAME and EMAIL. If you wish to get a few
postal mailings per year from us also send your
postal address in the body of the email.

PRIVACY

We share postal mail addresses occasionally with
like-minded organizations. We do not sell, rent
or share email addresses with any other
organization. Let us know if you prefer to not
share your mailing address.
We do NOT telemarket, and do not sell, rent or
share phone numbers with any other organization
or business.
MAILINGS. We email to the Fellowship list once
per week to announce events, new publications,
and new editions. We send postal mail less
frequently, typically a few times per year.
Please let us know if you would prefer to receive
announcements from us by postal mail, email,
both, or prefer customer service contact only.