[Scpg] May 2 /Ojai/ The Cultivating Change In Our Own Backyard conference

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Apr 27 05:08:15 PDT 2009

The Cultivating Change In Our Own Backyard conference will be held
May 2, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., at Oak Grove School, 220 W. Lomita St.,
Ojai.

A donation of $25 pays for the facility and lunch. An optional
after-hours party will take place at the Farmer and the Cook, where
live music and organic food will be available.

Conference reservations can be made by phone at 805-640-7340, e-mail
conlyhelen at gmail.com or mail by sending a check to: Friends of the
Environment, P.O. Box 1301, Ojai, CA 93024. For more information, log
on to http://www.cultivatingchangeinourownbackyard.org.

Ojai conference aims to cultivate change
By Linda Harmon
Sunday, April 26, 2009

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2009/apr/26/ojai-conference-aims-to-cultivate-change/

An unusual conference will take place on the campus of the Oak Grove
School in Ojai on Saturday. Sponsored by Friends of the Environment
and co-sponsored by 10 other nonprofits, the one-day conference will
explore how to achieve grass-roots change in our own communities.
The unique conference design will provide participants an opportunity
to network, learn and expand their knowledge, gain insight and
competence while reaching out to "cultivate change in our own
backyard."

"We need the voice of progressive activists and a broad spectrum of
stakeholders to shape solutions to complex problems," said Dorothy
Wallstein, who will be facilitating the conference.

"We will be talking about many issues that affect Ventura and Santa
Barbara counties." Wallstein, a professional facilitator, worked with
the Barack Obama campaign and volunteered her services for the Ojai
event, which she hopes will provide the opportunity to re-examine
community goals.

The open-space conference process will enable organizations to offer
their own materials, display an exhibit or organize a discussion.

The idea is that the participants determine the content.
"Participating individuals and organizations will showcase their own
work with like-minded community members, business owners, educators
and others," said Wallstein, "challenging others to work
collaboratively on shared issues."

Co-hosting the conference are the Ojai Valley Green Coalition; FOOD
Share of Ventura County; Food for Thought; the Central Coast Alliance
United for Sustainable Economy; National Women's Political Caucus,
Ventura Chapter; Congress of California Seniors, Ventura Chapter;
Ventura County Rainbow Alliance & Equality Ventura County; and Design
+ Vision.
- Linda Harmon lives in Ojai.
Conference