[Scpg] [hd-films-sb] BIRTHRIGHT locally filmed -- very honest view of motherhood Wed, May 27, 6:00 pm

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Wed May 20 13:43:14 PDT 2009

Begin forwarded message:

> From: jemila r <persimmonpie9 at yahoo.com>
>

> "Birthright: Mothering Across Difference"  -
>                 captures the pleasures & pains of Parenthood
>           FREE  screening Wednesday, May 27, 6:00 pm
>                          YUP !     6:00  pm
> at the UCSB Multi-Cultural Center (near the UCen).
>
> Allow 10 minutes to walk from parking lot or the bus circle - you
> can get a UCSB campus map by googling those 3 words.  Or just ask
> someone when you get there, "Where's the Multicultural Center ?"
> most students will know.
>

> “Birthright”
> Documentary Film Captures the Pleasures and Pains of Parenthood
>

> They say crisis brings people closer. Certainly it was true during
> the Jesusita Fire when, if you weren’t evacuated yourself, you were
> welcoming displaced friends into your home.
>
> I think motherhood — especially new motherhood — is a
> kind of crisis in itself. For all their wee littleness, newborns
> bring colossal emotional upheaval and physical duress. Their arrival
> demands mandatory evacuation from our comfort zones.
>
> And women bond over it. Un-inclined to discuss their chapped nipples
> and husbands’ quenchless libidos with the friendly check-out guy at
> Vons, they’ll squawk their guts out to any stranger with a diaper
> bag.
>
> Or a movie camera.
>
> At 6 p.m., Wednesday, UCSB’s MultiCultural Center Theater will
> screen a new documentary on the pleasures and pains of parenthood.
>
> Birthright: Mothering Across Difference will be followed by a Q&A
> with the filmmaker, my friend Celine Parreñas Shimizu, who teaches
> in the Feminist Studies department. The event is free.
>
> The film is a patchwork of interviews with 50 area moms: gay and
> straight, rich and poor, married and single, working and stay-at-
> home, white and Latina and Asian and black. Despite differences,
> they share anxieties, hopes, and points of pride.
>
> Celine struggled with her own personal and professional identity
> after her sons were born. Then she attended a PEP meeting — a
> gathering of new Santa Barbara moms organized by the nonprofit
> Postpartum Education for Parents. And she saw how quickly, and
> easily, women can bond over new motherhood.
>
> “I didn’t expect to make such intense, close friendships after a
> certain age,” she said. These women became her family. Some are
> interviewed in the film, which is shot up close, so you feel like
> you’re inches away from each subject.
>
> “I wanted to capture the intimacy of getting to know a woman,”
> Celine said. “I told my cinematographer, ‘You have to have, like,
> an umbilical relationship with this woman. You have to worship
> her.’”
>
> It’s hard not to. Their revelations are frank — but to any
> mom, familiar — as they discuss working vs. staying at home.
> “You can’t have it all,” said a woman who gave up her job. “I
> sacrifice something every day when I stay home. There’s a corporate
> [...]

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director

HopeDance
Radical Solutions Inspiring Hope  •  2975 Vineyard Dr.  •
Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.369-0203
http://www.hopedance.org/cms
HopeDance at Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/hopedance

edible SLO: Celebrating Local Food, Farmers and Healthy Food in SLO
County
2975 Vineyard Dr.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.369-0203
http://www.ediblesanluisobispo.com
http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/ediblesanluisobispo

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
TRANSITION:
Transition Initiative PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.