[Scpg] [hd-films-sb] Fwd: /May 28/SB Perm Network ECO-Film Night /Honoring the Life of Visionary Architect Nader Khalili

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Sat May 23 07:05:53 PDT 2009

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network <lakinroe at silcom.com
> >
> Date: May 23, 2009 5:05:15 AM PDT
> To: info at hopedance.org
> Subject: /May 28/SB Perm Network ECO-Film Night /Honoring the Life
> of Visionary Architect Nader Khalili
>

> Santa  Barbara Permaculture Network
>  ECO-Film Night
> Honoring the Life of Visionary Architect Nader Khalili
>
> with film-maker Dastan Khalili & documentary film feature
>  "Earth Turns to Gold"
>
> Thursday, May 28, 2009
> Santa Barbara Public Library, Faulkner Gallery
>  7pm, donation $5
> "Earth turns to Gold in the hands of the Wise"
>                                   Rumi
>

>     O n Thursday, May 28, at 7pm, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
> ECO-Film Night honors the life of visionary architect Nader Khalili
> and the California Institute of Earth & Architecture (Cal-Earth),
> with a feature film documentary "Earth Turns to Gold" by Dastan
> Khalili.
>
> Designing with Nature, using Earth, Water, Air, Fire and the simple
> shapes of arches, vaults and domes, Nader Khalili taught we could
> easily build homes for humanity with nothing more than the soil
> beneath our feet.  He suggests that if we recognize the equilibrium
> of these elements, we will never have any environmental problems.
> Learning the perfect harmony of nature and how it can be applied to
> architecture, this practical harmony can help us build habitats that
> are sustainable, nontoxic, and ecologically sound.
>
>         Leaving behind pitched roofs of conventional housing, his
> arched earthen structures don't require a single tree to be cut,
> helping to eliminate deforestation around the globe  Because of the
> dome egg shaped "shell-a-structure" design, they are some of the
> strongest buildings possible, able to withstand hurricanes, floods,
> and fires.  Originally designed to be ceramic (fired earth) houses,
> if properly built, grow stronger in fire, and have been tested to
> 6.5 on the Richter scale for earthquakes, making them perfect
> candidates for housing in Southern California.
>
> Santa Barbara Permaculture Network began visiting Cal-Earth more
> than ten years ago for annual road-trips in the Fall to follow the
> evolving site and its many innovative building prototypes.  A strong
> friendship developed that lasted until the death of Nader Khalili
> last year.  Noting that Khalili's work actually started in Santa
> Barbara County, with a 600 ft prototype house on an 850 acre
> proposed village site in New Cuyama in the late 1980's, Santa
> Barbara Permaculture Network wanted to acknowledge his extraordinary
> life with an evening of tribute in our community.
>
>   Khalili was a Muslim born in Iran.  His grandmother raised him on
> Sufi mysticism and the poetry of Rumi, a poet born in 1 3th century
> Persia, who inspired all of his work.  Khalili became an architect
> who built high-rises in both Los Angeles and Tehran.  In the 1970's
> [...]

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director

HopeDance
Radical Solutions Inspiring Hope  •  2975 Vineyard Dr.  •  Templeton,
CA 93465  •   805.369-0203
http://www.hopedance.org/cms
HopeDance at Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/hopedance
Follow us at twitter: http://twitter.com/hopedance

edible SLO: Celebrating Local Food, Farmers and Healthy Food in SLO
County
2975 Vineyard Dr.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.369-0203
http://www.ediblesanluisobispo.com
http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/ediblesanluisobispo
Follow us on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/edibleslo

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
TRANSITION:
Transition Initiative PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.